Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

checking oil...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use green oil, but it's still very hard! Fortunately, my gauge is accurate and my car uses practically zero oil.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver993

Note the the oil filler tube has a filter screen down inside. If you add oil too fast, you might exceed the flow that the screen can handle and the oil you are adding may backup and overflow as if you had overfilled. Coming from an SC, this screen is new to me and I make a mess nearly every time I add oil.
I learned that yesterday when I was adding a 1/2 qt!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
OK, the manual may state that, but as Mike cites, what "by definition" says the cap WILL be off when checking oil. True in my '84, but not in my '95.
Yeah, the 3.2L engines have the dipstick inside the filler neck so you have to remove the cap to get to it. Personally I've never opened the cap to check the oil on the 993 (3.6L).

Originally Posted by Mike J
Your gauge needs calibration. You can do this when doing an oil change, the gauge can be removed (6 nuts and pull it off the side of the tank), and bend the float arm in the appropriate direction. Sounds like your needs to be bent downwards to be more sensitive.

There definitely are variations between the accuracy of the gauge between cars.

Cheers,

Mike
I took some photos when I did this during my LWF/clutch install, I'll be happy to post a writeup with photos in a while.

Originally Posted by Silver993
Good advice by all so far.

Note the the oil filler tube has a filter screen down inside. If you add oil too fast, you might exceed the flow that the screen can handle and the oil you are adding may backup and overflow as if you had overfilled. Coming from an SC, this screen is new to me and I make a mess nearly every time I add oil.
I have always removed the screen insert when adding oil and use a Redline funnel I bought for BMW K bike oil changes, works better than the insert and the oil flows (a little) faster. Never had to add oil at a gas station though.

Originally Posted by Chapron67
I've had all these 'new to Porsche' oil issues as well!

But, now how do you actually see the oil level on the dipstick? Isn't it next to impossible? Gold oil, against gold metal: what were they thinking?

Or, am I either just plain stupid, or blind? Or both?

Is there a 'technique' I need to know?!

Thanks!
It can be tough, esp. when you're using a oil like M1. The Brad Penn and Royal Purple oils are quite a bit easier to read as they are much darker when new. I've had to dip the stick 3 or 4 times to get a reading I was comfortable with. I've never tried Bart's technique, I'll give it a try.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:05 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont get the spirals on the dipstick. where is "full?"

"Originally Posted by Silver993

Note the the oil filler tube has a filter screen down inside. If you add oil too fast, you might exceed the flow that the screen can handle and the oil you are adding may backup and overflow as if you had overfilled. Coming from an SC, this screen is new to me and I make a mess nearly every time I add oil."

haha yea man i learned the hard way to pour it very slowly!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gaby1088
i dont get the spirals on the dipstick. where is "full?"
I guess you could call the top of the spiral part "full". IMO...if it is above the spiral, that is too much oil...below the spiral is not enough oil. I try to keep mine in the middle of the spiral...but I think anywhere in the spiral is acceptable.

Also, I have a mental note of where the oil level gauge reads when the dipstick reads in the middle of the spiral. So when the gauge starts to dip below that level, I add a bit of oil. I think this "calibration" may vary slightly from car to car.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

If IB took the time to remove all of the 993 oil threads from its servers, they would have room to host Google.

Andreas
Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen
I guess you could call the top of the spiral part "full". IMO...if it is above the spiral, that is too much oil...below the spiral is not enough oil. I try to keep mine in the middle of the spiral...but I think anywhere in the spiral is acceptable.

Also, I have a mental note of where the oil level gauge reads when the dipstick reads in the middle of the spiral. So when the gauge starts to dip below that level, I add a bit of oil. I think this "calibration" may vary slightly from car to car.
+1. Everything I've ever heard from knowledgeable people and from personal experience seems to back this view up.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
If IB took the time to remove all of the 993 oil threads from its servers, they would have room to host Google.

Andreas
... but then it would be deafly quiet around here....
Old 02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen

In the owner's manual they show "maximum fill" at some point beyond the top of the spiral.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Why would the cap be off when the dipstick is completely separate from the filler cap?

Leave the filler cap on (as has been said before).
Mike, that's funny. Of course you're right.

I had '86 3.2 on my brain when I responded.

Quick Reply: checking oil...