Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing the best seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM
leosayer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want access to the rear then you could buy and fit just a single fixed-back seat and leave the passenger's reclining seat in place.

I've got GT3 seats in my 911. I believe they are slightly wider and padding can be removed to make them wider still. They're certainly not the best looking seat, I think they look too large in a 993, however they are very comfortable and I've done all-day drives in them with no ill-effects.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi targagr

They are Recaro style copies from Border in Taiwan. I believe they make the seats on the group buy ex Canada through FD Motorsports. They do the Bride brand used with the rice racers nd they make an FIA approved model. They are CF shells and come with side brackets and sliders. Border.com.tw. I believe I bought the SP5. They customised mine with classic grey leather which I sourced and shipped to them but you could land a pair in carbon fibre with black leather ready to fit and install (direct fit no messing around) for less than $1500 usd inc shipping. Brilliant value and at what the genuine Porsche Recaro PP style are changing hands for I thought they were worth trying to see if I liked the style and fit. They weigh about 26lb each including side brackets and sliders - the heated factory hardbacks that came out were twice that.....they look good and feel great. The SP5 has a slightly wider base and taler back and is suited for someone around 6'-6'2" weighing 180lb-220lb with a waist size 34-40".

Cheers
M
Old 01-24-2011, 06:15 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J

I agree though, with large side bottom bolsters, it will be a pain to get in and out. Now that I am approaching my mid-50's, I am not as agile as I once was, so that is a concern.

Yeah, if it was a dedicated track car, definitely different set of criteria, and in a way a clearer choice. In my case, its practically all street, 100% with a lap belt.
Mike, I think you should definately not chose a fixed back racing shell. I guess you figured that already . With your application (100% street) I would look for a set of softback sport seats. You can also look for a set of König seats, they are esentially the same as the RUF seats. Very supportive and they hold you in nicely. They are also available in fabric if you prefer that. They are reclineable and weigh less than the standard seats.

On another note, I thought you were looking for a 993TT?

Originally Posted by Macca

I do confess that the sports bucket fixed backs do make it harder to gt in and out of if doing regular stop start driving which can be a real pain. As my 993 is mainly a weekend or occsssional toy with a few long distance touring weekends thrown in each year they work fine but in a city or as a daily driver it could get annoying.
I think this is key here. If your car is a weekend driver or occational track toy then racing shells would make more sense. I bet the feeling of being "connected" to the car is unbeatable. I think people tend to underestimate how comfortable these kinds of seats are if you fit well in them. It's just getting in and out of them that is the problem.

Originally Posted by leosayer
If you want access to the rear then you could buy and fit just a single fixed-back seat and leave the passenger's reclining seat in place.
Each to his own but for me, having two different seats in the same car is a no-go. Can't beat the diversity of it though. A matter of personal preference as I said.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would recommend testing the softback sport seats before buying. For me they are a perfect fit, I don't slide around at all in very spirited street driving. However, I'm 170 pounds so they may be a bit snug for a 220+ pounder.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM
targagr
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Macca,

You have PM
Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggo
On another note, I thought you were looking for a 993TT?
Mentally balking on the $25K (at least) premium that entails. I like to watch my coins, and have not been able to say the difference is worth the cost, even modeling 10 year costs/depreciations, etc.

Yes, I know there are other factors as well, but I like to fully understand what I could be getting into.

Not saying is off the books forever either, and may regret this later, but it does take some time to come to terms with departing with that much cash.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi targagr

They are Recaro style copies from Border in Taiwan. I believe they make the seats on the group buy ex Canada through FD Motorsports. They do the Bride brand used with the rice racers nd they make an FIA approved model. They are CF shells and come with side brackets and sliders. Border.com.tw. I believe I bought the SP5.
Cheers
M
I thought I recognized them! Thanks for the comments as well!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with Cobra Misanos in mine. They are lightweight, fairly comfy, grippy, good looking, recline/tiltable, but not good for harnesses really. I frlt like they were a good compromise for my mostly weekend street, occasional DE car.

I have also spent a good bit of time in softback sport seats, which I like. They are just a good bit heavier and probably not as sexy as Misanos. Better if you are concerned about resale - and I agree that they have a little better support than the hardbacks, though it is mostly in the rib area, which is not ideal. For a more sporty, less practical ride, I would go with leather PPs.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:10 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by leosayer

I've got GT3 seats in my 911. I believe they are slightly wider and padding can be removed to make them wider still. They're certainly not the best looking seat, I think they look too large in a 993, however they are very comfortable and I've done all-day drives in them with no ill-effects.

Do you think fitting 997 GT3 RS seats will be a bolt-on? Are the electric sockets the same? My brother has a pair and I might just get it.

Quick Reply: Choosing the best seats