Maintenance on a Carrera- 6 speed gear shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neil -

I just renewed via credit card - paypal not needed.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Howard,

Thanks, I will join tonight.

Thanks
Neil
Old 02-14-2011, 10:55 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saw this thread. I missed a lot in January!

Anyhow, thanks for the nice comments about FD Motorsports
Darin and I do our best

Neil, sounds like you have the answers you need but if there are more questions, let us know. We are intimately familiar with the shift linkage and just spent most of yesterday playing with these exact parts

and welcomse to RL!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Neil, Had the same problem on my 95 cab. PO put in an aftermarket short shift and didn't renew anything else. Whole thing fell apart at 95k. FD Motorsports gave me everything I needed in a neat little package, now my 993 cab shifts better than new, incredibly tight, no rattles/sizzles, etc... great repair/mod for all of us. Do not hesitate on this as you will not be disappointed and consider the Rothsport shifter option as it looks outstanding.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi MarkD,
I rang you about 2 weeks ago about this issue and was very happy with your help.
I am the guy from Australia with many questions, although I would imagine you get hundreds of phone calls..
As you stated you did not have any change over of your RS Rods, but looks like I will be traveliing to the US in April, so I will orginise to ship the standard rod before I leave and pick it up will I am there.
Every one I have spoken to say your products are the best.

I have a question,
Is there any extra noise or vibration generated from the FD RS Rod over the standard rod in the cabin or on the gear shift?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Hi Bobby T,
Thanks for the information, I am putting a list together for the new parts for Pelican and will order the parts you suggested.

Thanks,
Neil
FD does not = Pelican.
they are two different businesses.

FD gets my vote and my $$$$$$$
Old 02-14-2011, 01:46 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Hi MarkD,
I rang you about 2 weeks ago about this issue and was very happy with your help.
I am the guy from Australia with many questions, although I would imagine you get hundreds of phone calls..
As you stated you did not have any change over of your RS Rods, but looks like I will be traveliing to the US in April, so I will orginise to ship the standard rod before I leave and pick it up will I am there.
Every one I have spoken to say your products are the best.

I have a question,
Is there any extra noise or vibration generated from the FD RS Rod over the standard rod in the cabin or on the gear shift?

Thanks,
Neil
Neil,

Our "Golden Rod" (the name is a long story ) is designed to mimic the Porsche RS shift rod. The RS shift rod and our Golden Rod will both slightly increase felt vibration in the shifter. It is very much a personal thing though... some may not even notice it. In my opinion, it is a very minimal increase. The increase in shift precision is obtained by removing a floppy rubber disc in the rod. Some are floppier than others.

The type of shift **** also plays a role. Some models have more insulation built into them.

Hope that helps!

As for the exchange on the Golden Rod, yes, we are often awaiting core returns from Customers who are installing theirs or having them installed. Lately things have been quite busy and we've had a backlog of orders. Please send us an email and let us know when you are planning the trip so we can reserve one for you. fdmotorsports@comcast.net

PS - thanks Craig
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have a 97 Carrera that has 40,000Klms (24,854 miles) on the speedo, and the tequipment gear shift.

So I am guessing all should be pretty tight, so there could be a slight amont of vibration that will be transfered to the gear shift? Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 02-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Mark,
Do you have to modify the tunnel cover on a 2WD Carrera when fitting the Golden Rod?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have a 97 Carrera that has 40,000Klms (24,854 miles) on the speedo, and the tequipment gear shift.

So I am guessing all should be pretty tight, so there could be a slight amont of vibration that will be transfered to the gear shift? Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Neil
yes, that about sums it up.
not sure how tight the shift linkage will be. The original design has some looseness built into it with the ball/cup joints. It's all relative, of course.

Hi Mark,
Do you have to modify the tunnel cover on a 2WD Carrera when fitting the Golden Rod?

Thanks,
Neil
no, neither the AWD cars nor the 2WD cars require any sort of modification to install the GR

The SSK install on AWD cars requires dimpling of the center tunnel.
Not to brag but we worked hard to come up with a solution that drastically minimizes the mod needed to the tunnel cover on the AWD cars.

Quick Reply: Maintenance on a Carrera- 6 speed gear shift