Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excluding the saftey equipment what are the must haves for PCA G-class?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Some of us are too poor to cheat.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
To answer your question, mid atlantic G-class fields are very small (and will likely be smaller next year withe Baron Jacob, Dan R and me moving to different classes). This past season, average race had only 4-5 G cars. I jumped to H-class mid season this past summer and have had a blast with the much larger fields (H class is probably only second to spec boxster in size of fields). However, even with the smaller fields, you'll always grid around cars with similar lap times (and they're are plenty of guys in small classes that have fun racing out-of-class cars).

GTS3 fields in NASA Mid Atlantic are pretty big (10-15 cars)... but a G-class 993 will be way way way off the pace of the front runners (I'd say 3 seconds off the pace at summit point and Thunderbolt). You'd be able to drop a lot of ballast to run in GTS3, but you'd still be at a huge handicap against guys like Bob Turgeon and Eric Wong who are turning sub 1:20s at Summit point and low 1:28s at Thunderbolt.
Hi Glen,
Do you know why the G class is dwindling on the East coast? I see Michael Lin, Todd Bernard, and Lane here in Potomac are selling their cars. I figured I'd get eaten up in GTS-3 by Eric and a few fellas in Richmond, those pesky Bimmers are fast and well developed. Your interior looks great and I'm headed down that path... great another PCA guy with drain bamage.

Jeff, I saw that thread in the racing forum and Geoffrey's setup looks very nice. No shock there, that guys car is pretty wicked.

Thanks for the info Jim. I'll shoot you an email and we'll catch up about CC and the new spring package. I have a set of nice wheels that would fit perfectly on your car

Thanks for the offer John. Your car looks well setup, but I'm attached to my car and just spent a considerable amount on Motons. Best of luck on the sale.

Amen Mark. I need a new hobby

Last edited by Paddy; 01-21-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Reading the PCA rule book it says "Spoilers and bumpers/air dams are free providing the do not exceed maximum factory body width by any amount, maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch, or maximum spoiler height of the vehicle by more than 6 inches."

I seem to remember someone saying you cannot use the RSCS wing, but from what I'm reading it seems legal.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

The RSCS wing is not legal for a G class 993 since it has an aero element with a leading edge and since it was not available as an option on US-delivered cars. IIRC, the aerokit I wing is the only wing that is legal in G.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Mark, don't you run an adjustable GT2 wing?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

No, I have a 3.8 RS "wing" that has the aerofoil element removed. In its place is a custom-made, aluminum piece that turns the decklid into a giant spoiler sans leading edge. These were made for all of the 964 cup guys when they were allowed to run 3.8 RS "wings" and are pretty rare since the fabricator no longer makes them.

Even if the GT2 wing was legal in G, I think it adds too much drag to the back with the two scoops. The 3.8 RS one seems just right to me.

Quick Reply: Excluding the saftey equipment what are the must haves for PCA G-class?