Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Leatherique Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just give me the one your buliding and I'll swap you out since you enjoy doing it so much.

Mike
Old 01-14-2011, 10:35 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The red wires and fan might clash with you blue, besides, you have the wrong ECU.

Emerald
Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got lucky and won some at Palooza this year, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:25 PM
michel j
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have any before and after shots after doing the seats?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:12 PM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I wouldn't. It's WAY to expensive to use that way, & will not penetrate vinyl.

I would some of the vinyl/rubber cleaners on the market with a medium bristle brush. 303 is a protectant & not the best cleaner.

This is what I use for plastic & vinyl.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...-reiniger.aspx
Stealth, you seem to know your way around Leatherique and other detailing stuff. I have a few questions ith regards to this. I bought the leatherique rejuvenating oil and the pristine clean. I did this treatment this summer on my turbo. I did the oil twice and let it sit in the car for 24hrs. It was a pretty hot day in Italy, but not super hot. The hardback sportseats had a few dry spots especially on the bolsters on the drivers seat but only with small signs of dryness, no color was off the leather or anything. I was pretty satisfied with the results but for some reason I didn't manage to get them nearly as good as the people on some of the posts on this forum. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I did put the oil on with my bare hands and went back and added more oil on the bolsters after a few hours. The worst thing is with the pristine clean I didn't feel that I actually got it all off of the leather. You know that white haze that builds on the seats after the oil has soaked in.. I used a sponge with pristine clean first and then a towel, which I also soaked in hot water to try to get the last stuff of off the seat. The seat was still "sticky" afterwards and not with a glossy finish but rather still a bit of the haze. I tried some 303 on the seats afterwards and that really brought out the glossyness (not that that is positive but it still looked better than before). Adding the rejuvenator oil is a no-brainer but any tips on the process of removing it and using the pristine clean? I've heard you guys use about 2/3 oil and 1/3 cleaner. Is that about right?

I also remember reading somewhere on here that Leatherique is really more for badly dried out seats (or seats in need of TLC) rather than just annual care of your already perfect seats. Is this true? What other products do you suggest instead? Or is Leatherique "good enough" for the annual service as well?

I know 303 is good with the vinyl stuff in the interior and I will buy some vinyl cleaner after reading this thread. 303 is more of a preservator than a cleaner as I read it.

What do you use to clean the windows on the inside? Just regular glass cleaner?

Lastly, I bought some Simple Green which I thought I could use in the engine comparment but then I read something about Simple Green being too strong and drying out the plastics etc. What do you suggest to use in the engine compartment instead of simple green?

Loong post but I thought I'd as a pro when we are at it .
Old 01-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggo
Stealth, you seem to know your way around Leatherique and other detailing stuff. I have a few questions ith regards to this. I bought the leatherique rejuvenating oil and the pristine clean. I did this treatment this summer on my turbo. I did the oil twice and let it sit in the car for 24hrs. It was a pretty hot day in Italy, but not super hot. The hardback sportseats had a few dry spots especially on the bolsters on the drivers seat but only with small signs of dryness, no color was off the leather or anything. I was pretty satisfied with the results but for some reason I didn't manage to get them nearly as good as the people on some of the posts on this forum. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I did put the oil on with my bare hands and went back and added more oil on the bolsters after a few hours. The worst thing is with the pristine clean I didn't feel that I actually got it all off of the leather. You know that white haze that builds on the seats after the oil has soaked in.. I used a sponge with pristine clean first and then a towel, which I also soaked in hot water to try to get the last stuff of off the seat. The seat was still "sticky" afterwards and not with a glossy finish but rather still a bit of the haze. I tried some 303 on the seats afterwards and that really brought out the glossyness (not that that is positive but it still looked better than before). Adding the rejuvenator oil is a no-brainer but any tips on the process of removing it and using the pristine clean? I've heard you guys use about 2/3 oil and 1/3 cleaner. Is that about right?

I also remember reading somewhere on here that Leatherique is really more for badly dried out seats (or seats in need of TLC) rather than just annual care of your already perfect seats. Is this true? What other products do you suggest instead? Or is Leatherique "good enough" for the annual service as well?

I know 303 is good with the vinyl stuff in the interior and I will buy some vinyl cleaner after reading this thread. 303 is more of a preservator than a cleaner as I read it.

What do you use to clean the windows on the inside? Just regular glass cleaner?

Lastly, I bought some Simple Green which I thought I could use in the engine comparment but then I read something about Simple Green being too strong and drying out the plastics etc. What do you suggest to use in the engine compartment instead of simple green?

Loong post but I thought I'd as a pro when we are at it .
Thanks, I am a part time pro detailer, & have done it for a few years now. I work mostly on exotics. But do some DD crap cars as well.

Leatherique is a treatment for neglected/dry/hard leather. You got to use it right to get the most out of it.

1. Vacuum the seats, then, use almost 1/2 of the bottle (pristine clean) for the front seats, pull the seats out, or leave the car in the sun. Yes, use your hands to massage it into every area you can, even in the cracks. Also put some black plastic bags over the seats. The hotter the seats get the better it will work. Let them sit for at least 10 hours.

2. Use a good microfiber towel, get it damp, & either spray, or pour a little into the MF towel. You should use 2-6 towels for the seats. You may have to do this 2-4 times to get all the goo off. The more goo, the dirtier the seats were to start with. If they are sticky, go over them again. You may want to wait 10-30min in between, to let them dry a little. If they are still sticky, you can try to buff with a dry MF towel. After they should be smooth & non-shinny, but look natural.

I would not 303 on leather. It can dry it out, & of course make the seats slippery, & to shinny. Repeated use can build up & make them hard to clean, & trap dirt in the leathers pours. While a great plastic/vinyl product, it's not for leather.

Really this only need to be done once every couple of years, it is an expensive product, & 2 32oz bottles should only last 2-3 treatments.

Now what I do on my cars is use Leather masters. Usually 2-4 times a year depending on car use & condition. Like the C4S gets done maybe 2x, while our MINI (DD & kid car) gets 3-4. It really cleans the seats, makes them feel new, & soft, but also is faster, & far less labor.

Leather masters
http://www.detailersdomain.com/searc...anufacturer=20

Lastly, stay the HELL AWAY from SG on your car. It will not damage the plastic, but will corrode the aluminum, & other soft metals. When you see all the white crap on the engine fan & shroud, that is from a SG type of product. I use a degreaser, then a APC (all purpose cleaner) on my engines. Then follow with like a 303 product.

This is what I use with some other stuff, this 1l bottle will last a very long time.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...erblitz-2.aspx
You can also get this in the 1l, just didn't find it.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zeinszett-w99-1.aspx
Both are paint safe, & will do no harm in the engine bay but Blitz will strip wax & makes a good pre-detail paint cleaner with the wash. Also works well on really nasty interiors.

This is one of the best interior cleaners out there for cared for cars, leaves no film behind. Use the "Plastic" for a deeper cleaning, or to remove any shine or other product, works awesome on exterior plastics as well.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...itpremium.aspx

I also use this stuff for a quick leather spruce ups.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...athercare.aspx

Yea, I basically love this whole line, the wax is also great. A few of the local big detail shops use it.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:22 PM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Thanks, I am a part time pro detailer, & have done it for a few years now. I work mostly on exotics. But do some DD crap cars as well.

Leatherique is a treatment for neglected/dry/hard leather. You got to use it right to get the most out of it.

1. Vacuum the seats, then, use almost 1/2 of the bottle (pristine clean) for the front seats, pull the seats out, or leave the car in the sun. Yes, use your hands to massage it into every area you can, even in the cracks. Also put some black plastic bags over the seats. The hotter the seats get the better it will work. Let them sit for at least 10 hours.

2. Use a good microfiber towel, get it damp, & either spray, or pour a little into the MF towel. You should use 2-6 towels for the seats. You may have to do this 2-4 times to get all the goo off. The more goo, the dirtier the seats were to start with. If they are sticky, go over them again. You may want to wait 10-30min in between, to let them dry a little. If they are still sticky, you can try to buff with a dry MF towel. After they should be smooth & non-shinny, but look natural.

I would not 303 on leather. It can dry it out, & of course make the seats slippery, & to shinny. Repeated use can build up & make them hard to clean, & trap dirt in the leathers pours. While a great plastic/vinyl product, it's not for leather.

Really this only need to be done once every couple of years, it is an expensive product, & 2 32oz bottles should only last 2-3 treatments.

Now what I do on my cars is use Leather masters. Usually 2-4 times a year depending on car use & condition. Like the C4S gets done maybe 2x, while our MINI (DD & kid car) gets 3-4. It really cleans the seats, makes them feel new, & soft, but also is faster, & far less labor.

Leather masters
http://www.detailersdomain.com/searc...anufacturer=20

Lastly, stay the HELL AWAY from SG on your car. It will not damage the plastic, but will corrode the aluminum, & other soft metals. When you see all the white crap on the engine fan & shroud, that is from a SG type of product. I use a degreaser, then a APC (all purpose cleaner) on my engines. Then follow with like a 303 product.

This is what I use with some other stuff, this 1l bottle will last a very long time.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...erblitz-2.aspx
You can also get this in the 1l, just didn't find it.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zeinszett-w99-1.aspx
Both are paint safe, & will do no harm in the engine bay but Blitz will strip wax & makes a good pre-detail paint cleaner with the wash. Also works well on really nasty interiors.

This is one of the best interior cleaners out there for cared for cars, leaves no film behind. Use the "Plastic" for a deeper cleaning, or to remove any shine or other product, works awesome on exterior plastics as well.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...itpremium.aspx

I also use this stuff for a quick leather spruce ups.
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...athercare.aspx

Yea, I basically love this whole line, the wax is also great. A few of the local big detail shops use it.
Stealth,

Thank you very much for your thorough answer. I'm sure we can take it to PMs should I have any other questions. Some very useful advice in your post.

I assume you mean 1/2 bottle of rejuvenator (not pristine clean as stated above under 1.)? As for the removing of the oil, do you suggest first to dampen the MF towels and then put some pristine clean on them before swiping the seats to remove the oil? I clearly used too few towels and will take your advice to use many towels. What's your ratio of pristine clean to rejuvenator? You say the rejuvenator should last 2-3 treatments. Will the same amount of pristine clean last 4-6 treatments? Depends on how dirty the seats are I guess but just to get a reference..

So I take it the leatherique stuff is for neglected leather as you say but is it still good to use it on the seats maybe every other year? Then I will complement with leathermasters maybe two times per year. In the link with leathermasters there are a bunch of products.. Which ones do you recommend? How long do they last?

I will definately try the interior cleaner you recommended as well.

The last product you mentioned for leather spruce ups, can you elaborate a bit more? I don't know what spruce ups means but is it like a quick leather detailer?

Any other stuff I should order while I'm at it? I have a good semi-hard wax which I like. Anything for the interior carpet maybe?

Very timely also with the 20% winter sale at detailers domain. No affil.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Viggo
Stealth,

Thank you very much for your thorough answer. I'm sure we can take it to PMs should I have any other questions. Some very useful advice in your post.

I assume you mean 1/2 bottle of rejuvenator (not pristine clean as stated above under 1.)? As for the removing of the oil, do you suggest first to dampen the MF towels and then put some pristine clean on them before swiping the seats to remove the oil? I clearly used too few towels and will take your advice to use many towels. What's your ratio of pristine clean to rejuvenator? You say the rejuvenator should last 2-3 treatments. Will the same amount of pristine clean last 4-6 treatments? Depends on how dirty the seats are I guess but just to get a reference..

So I take it the leatherique stuff is for neglected leather as you say but is it still good to use it on the seats maybe every other year? Then I will complement with leathermasters maybe two times per year. In the link with leathermasters there are a bunch of products.. Which ones do you recommend? How long do they last?

I will definately try the interior cleaner you recommended as well.

The last product you mentioned for leather spruce ups, can you elaborate a bit more? I don't know what spruce ups means but is it like a quick leather detailer?

Any other stuff I should order while I'm at it? I have a good semi-hard wax which I like. Anything for the interior carpet maybe?

Very timely also with the 20% winter sale at detailers domain. No affil.
OPPS, yup, you do Rejuvenator oil first! Sorry.
Each seat should almost be dripping with it. Like 3-6oz per seat.
Yes, dampen the towels before you pristine clean. The first couple of ones only, then use just PC on them. You really only use as much as needed, & it does depend on how dirty the seats are. But it's usually 2-4oz per seat.

I used it on my cars when I first got them, then haven't used it again. But if they do get dirty, I will do use it. Our MINI has become the family car, so this summer it most likely will be done.

Leather Masters.
Strong Cleaner (cleaner, you can dilute it 1:1) It will also clean vinyl & plastic. Use on a MF towel, or sponge. Might have to go over the seats 2-3 times. Till the MF towel is not getting dirty. When done, use a clean MF to take the rest of the cleaner off.

Vital is the "feeder" it will soften & treat the leather, a little goes a long way. Apply with MF towel, or sponge after the seats have dried from the strong cleaner. let dry & apply a couple of times till the leather is not soaking it all up quickly. Usually 1-4 times. A couple of light coats are better then one heavy.

Protection cream, this keeps the good stuff in, & the bad stuff out. This helps keep the seats clean, protects from UV, stains etc. Apply one medium coat with a sponge.

I get all this stuff in bulk, my LM stuff has lasted quite a long time, you do use 2x Strong Cleaner to the others. I also use it on my Wife's leather shoes, handbags & furniture.

You will be amazed at how fresh & clean the leather feels after doing al the LM steps. It is the best stuff I have used on leather.

Spruce ups = minor cleaning= touch ups.
I use Griot's Leather Care in the pop up container. It's just a pre soaked towel, that you throw away when done. This is what I do after a car wash to just remove any light dirt on the seats. They also smell like leather, so they make the care have a light leather smell.

Carpets, well, there is a ton to that, & lots of specialty equipment. Their is a "poor mans" method. The pro way is with a carpet extractor, they start around $600.

1. NEED a good Wet Dry vac, then use it.
2. Spray on some carpet cleaner, either for cars, or for houses. Get the carpets damp. The car stuff works better. Adams, Griot's & Bioclean are good ones. You can dilute it 1:1 with hot water. Floor mats are always full strength.
3. Use a medium bristle brush to work the cleaner into the carpets, let it sit for 5min.
4. Use the W/D vac to clean the carpets again.
5. Use a few MF towels to remove the rest of the cleaner, the towels will be NASTY, don't use good towels.
6. Leave windows open, & put a fan in the car to help the carpets dry. If they feel tacky or sticky there is carpet cleaner in the carpets. Now you take some water in a spray bottle & repeat above.

When done follow up with any fabric protector.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by michel j
Anybody have any before and after shots after doing the seats?
You would be hard pressed to get photos to show the difference, it is much more a see it/feel it improvement. It is not a dye treatment.

While I didn't go to quite the extent Stealth does (but then again I'll be doing mine again after it warms up). I like the product but it's NOT a quick/easy do it after I wash the car process. The hotter the day the better your results will be.

Personally, I took my seats out of the car, did them on a B&D Workbench and then put them in the back of the (closed) Cayenne in the sun to let them bake. However I only left them in there for about 5 hrs.

As I said, I will do it again when it's warm.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Mike, it will be fine on the vinyl and plastic, but I think 303 will give better results for less cost.
+ 303.

I use Leatherique on the leather seating surfaces and 303 on everything else. Everything.

Andreas
Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carpet cleaner

FWIW: There is a 303 protectant and a 303 cleaner. The best cleaner for carpets is SpotShot (made by WD40). http://www.amazon.com/Spot-Professio.../dp/B002MHKD2Y In addition, it is a great, great cleaner for clothes (before washing, clearly), oil stains on a garage floor, and as-yet-to-be-discovered other uses..
Old 01-21-2011, 08:35 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So Stealth - do you not use 303?

I believe there was a thread not long ago where a detail shop did the leatherique process showing before and after pics. I'll search and post if I find it.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is a LINK

Not sure if it is Leatherique or not - but the process sure looks similar.

Last edited by vincer77; 01-21-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 600RR
FWIW: There is a 303 protectant and a 303 cleaner. The best cleaner for carpets is SpotShot (made by WD40). http://www.amazon.com/Spot-Professio.../dp/B002MHKD2Y In addition, it is a great, great cleaner for clothes (before washing, clearly), oil stains on a garage floor, and as-yet-to-be-discovered other uses..
That is a spot remover, & not a carpet cleaner. IMHO, it would be really hard to clean the whole interior with the can, I bet it would smell bad after.

Originally Posted by vincer77
So Stealth - do you not use 303?

I believe there was a thread not long ago where a detail shop did the leatherique process showing before and after pics. I'll search and post if I find it.
No, I don't use 303, as they didn't used to sell it in gallon or bigger containers. When you do a few cars in a week, a 16oz bottle doesn't work. It's to expensive in 16oz. But it is a great product & way better then anything else you find in the auto parts store.

IMHO, Einszett "plastic", Cockpit Premium, & "Vinyl & Rubber Care" is just as good, if not better then 303, with a lower cost per use.

Pretty much everything I use comes in gallon, 5l, or 10l containers, that I just put into spray bottles.

303 Protectant 1g $60
Einszett VRC 5l $85
It's only a little bit more for the 10l container.

Quick Reply: Leatherique Question