Sponsored by:

Toe-link installed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:20 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toe-link installed!

So I had my toe-links installed today and was totally amazed at how one part could markedly transform the car. Most of you guys have installed toe-links together with other suspension mods. But I have the benefit of identifying the benefits since I installed it only on stock suspension. Everything is stock, from bushings to shocks.

The car feels so planted when exiting turns. One noticeable improvement is braking from high speed. I was doing 200km/h braking to a runabout and the rear end felt very secure and straight. I guess a lot of flex was reduced considerably from the stock toe-link which had rubber bushings. The toe-link I installed had solid bushings.

The reason I ended up with the toe-links was because my brother ordered for his 997 but they delivered ones for a 993! Ha.ha...good for me!

I would highly recommend to others who havent yet installed toe-links to do so. I got Tarretts.

I will clean my suspension components when I install my coilovers. Such a mess now.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting...how many kms were on your stock links?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine are being replaced currently out of necessity. I'm quite happy to hear I'll actually perceive a difference.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
camlob
Pro

Paul902 - My stock ones were at 63k kms. They were actually not bad.

Mr.Bonus - Yes you will notice the diff right away. Find a rd with twisties and drive away...What brand did you get? ERP?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get a 4 wheel alignment after the install ?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool... congrats on the improvement!

I have the same Tarett toe links on my turbo and installed them seprately also.
They cured a wierd wiggle I had under hard acceleration, particularly out of a turn

PS - We at FD Motorsports use, sell and install Tarett products... Ira is a top notch guy to boot
Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I did this for a few reasons, as well as correcting a lot of camber I had in the rear because the stock links are too short for a very low car.....I also used the rubber boots to cover the joints since my car is a daily driver.

My stock arms were in good shape so I did not notice much difference in the handling.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-15-2011, 02:23 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Glad you like them camlob!

And Mark, looks like you're going to get a GT3 before I do......
Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Akerlie
Did you get a 4 wheel alignment after the install ?
Decided not to since I mirrored the length of the stock arms by placing the stock arms against with the bolts on. In addition, since Ill be getting coil overs, Ill do it then. Hopefully in a months time they will be installed.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:47 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by MarkD
Cool... congrats on the improvement!

I have the same Tarett toe links on my turbo and installed them seprately also.
They cured a wierd wiggle I had under hard acceleration, particularly out of a turn

PS - We at FD Motorsports use, sell and install Tarett products... Ira is a top notch guy to boot
MarkD - Still deciding on KWs or JICs. Price differential also wide compared to ERP. BTW, so are you getting a 996 or 997 GT3?
Old 01-15-2011, 04:13 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I would recommend an alignment. It does not matter if you dialed out the new arms to match the length of the stock arms, the position of the eccentric bolt is important, and subject to play. Even if you marked the bolt, the alignment is likely out a bit. In my case, I used their locking kit on the center bolts so an alignment was also required, since the only toe adjustment is due to the dial out or in of the toe rod. My rods are Tarett.

Cheers,

Mike

I
Old 01-15-2011, 04:44 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike J
I would recommend an alignment. It does not matter if you dialed out the new arms to match the length of the stock arms, the position of the eccentric bolt is important, and subject to play. Even if you marked the bolt, the alignment is likely out a bit. In my case, I used their locking kit on the center bolts so an alignment was also required, since the only toe adjustment is due to the dial out or in of the toe rod. My rods are Tarett.

Cheers,

Mike

I
Thanks Mike! Ill look into it next week. Did you try your car at the track? Want to hear your inputs.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob
Paul902 - My stock ones were at 63k kms. They were actually not bad.

Mr.Bonus - Yes you will notice the diff right away. Find a rd with twisties and drive away...What brand did you get? ERP?
I believe so. I'll confirm.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

Monoball toe links w/ lacks are a great change for 993!

Yours appear to be ERP, Tarret & Rennline both make nice ones too. I sort of wish that I ordered the boots but the way I use it a spritz of WD40 every now and then seems to work.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:37 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my car at 101k mi I had it aligned shortly after picking it up. The shop found the toe-links were shot so I upgraded to the ERPs + Tarett Locking Plate kit + Baker booties. A bunch of links and more info here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...trol-arms.html

Quick Reply: Toe-link installed!