*a special moment*

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up *a special moment*

Fellas,

Yesterday I topped out at 175 mph., and you know what? It was EVERYTHING I dreamed it would be! It was EVERY BIT as thrilling and exciting!

Here's the scoop:

This picture was taken at 169 because it was the only moment I felt safe taking a picture, but I guess at these speeds we are talking semantics when talking about "safety" right? All it would take is a flat tire and I take the night train to the big ADIOS. But I promise you that I reached 175mph.

Anyway, back to this special moment: There is a road that is uninhabited, isolated and perfect for this kind of driving. I live in Albuquerque and one hour south is a county called Socorro. This is where it all happened. Mind you, Albuquerque is located at 5000 ft. above sea level, where oxygen is thinner so it makes me wonder how fast it would have gone at lower altitude. But to be fair, the speed was increased with an ever so slight decline angle at times on the road which I believe helped me. The only signs of civilization along this 10 mile stretch of road is barb wire fence on both sides, which decreases the chance of large animals getting in your way. During high noon the visibility is outstanding and anything in your way, from a skunk to a slow moving vehicle, can be spotted miles in advance.

AFTERTHOUGHTS: My 993 C2 handled those speeds with integrity. It was still, it was focused and at no time did it feel like it was about to implode. RPM range stayed between 5000-5500....and the road....wow....everything looked so cool, so turbulent yet so peaceful. It felt like my flat-six was gun powder and I was steel tucked inside a bullet in flight!

My bilstein HDs made all the difference in the world. I had done 160 on this road on numerous occasions but with my old monroes that was the extent of their abilities. With my bilsteins the car felt nervous yet calm, hard ride at low speeds that turned into a baby butt smooth ride at high speeds...a beautiful transformation to witness your 993 come alive and roar like the magnificent lion that it is!

It was sensational guys. Im glad there are still a few tucked away roads around the world where one can have a heart to heart moment with a 993. Some people speak in tongues at church, others jump out of airplanes....I go to Socorro county. It was special, and I know you guys know exactly how I feel.

-Leon
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the bros on 6-speed will like this, but pardon me if I decline to join in the celebration.

The speed is one thing. Taking the additional risk to shoot the photo is just idiotic.

Last edited by dcdude; 01-07-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:56 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Oh oh here comes the bible thumpers

I have the ***** to do the speed but I don`t think I have the ***** to post it here

Cheers Guy
Old 01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You may want to change that to 1 year and a day ago I accomplished this on a closed road.

http://www.fox2now.com/videobeta/wat...dcd6&src=front

Watch the very end, "police have one year to act"
Old 01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you read about the guy arrested for posting his speeding exploits? I am glad you did this on a track.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Leon993
Racer

Chuck,

Its my own risk to take, not yours.

I would appreciate no negative comments.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Leon993
Racer

yeah, I saw that lambo dealer posting their test drive videos on you tube. wow! Thankfully rennlist is highly specialized and I felt I could share this with you guys.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
Chuck,

Its my own risk to take, not yours.

I would appreciate no negative comments.

Thanks
Well, thats not really the way it works.

Yes, we live in a police state here in the US now, so one cannot drive high-speed anymore without raising the wrath of those so concerned.

On the same token, for the moment, we still have freedom of speech. So, if you don't like people commenting negatively on your high speed shenanigans, I suggest you remove this thread.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In all seriousness, a top speed run on a known road with one of these cars isn't a white knuckle experience where you're risking your life by taking a hand off the wheel to snap a photo. It's all about road conditions. I've done plenty of top speed runs in my youth, and probably have not done one since the early '90s. Even when we took Euro delivery of our BMW back in '99 and roamed the Autobahn. There's just no point. To me.

How inaccurate are Porsche speedos at that speed? Several years ago when I got the C4S I calculated the error at about 5% optimistic at about 130MPH.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

You forgot to mention this was in Mexico so all is well! Car thanks you
Old 01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
SheepHerder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
C2Cab95
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
Fellas,

Yesterday I topped out at 175 mph., and you know what? It was EVERYTHING I dreamed it would be! It was EVERY BIT as thrilling and exciting!

Here's the scoop:

This picture was taken at 169 because it was the only moment I felt safe taking a picture, but I guess at these speeds we are talking semantics when talking about "safety" right? All it would take is a flat tire and I take the night train to the big ADIOS. But I promise you that I reached 175mph.

Anyway, back to this special moment: There is a road that is uninhabited, isolated and perfect for this kind of driving. I live in Albuquerque and one hour south is a county called Socorro. This is where it all happened. Mind you, Albuquerque is located at 5000 ft. above sea level, where oxygen is thinner so it makes me wonder how fast it would have gone at lower altitude. But to be fair, the speed was increased with an ever so slight decline angle at times on the road which I believe helped me. The only signs of civilization along this 10 mile stretch of road is barb wire fence on both sides, which decreases the chance of large animals getting in your way. During high noon the visibility is outstanding and anything in your way, from a skunk to a slow moving vehicle, can be spotted miles in advance.

AFTERTHOUGHTS: My 993 C2 handled those speeds with integrity. It was still, it was focused and at no time did it feel like it was about to implode. RPM range stayed between 5000-5500....and the road....wow....everything looked so cool, so turbulent yet so peaceful. It felt like my flat-six was gun powder and I was steel tucked inside a bullet in flight!

My bilstein HDs made all the difference in the world. I had done 160 on this road on numerous occasions but with my old monroes that was the extent of their abilities. With my bilsteins the car felt nervous yet calm, hard ride at low speeds that turned into a baby butt smooth ride at high speeds...a beautiful transformation to witness your 993 come alive and roar like the magnificent lion that it is!

It was sensational guys. Im glad there are still a few tucked away roads around the world where one can have a heart to heart moment with a 993. Some people speak in tongues at church, others jump out of airplanes....I go to Socorro county. It was special, and I know you guys know exactly how I feel.

-Leon

Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Calibrate your speedometer. This is not true speed.

We can debate the merits of this run and this post. I drove very fast in my first 993 cab in about the same location (going down from Albuquerque to Roswell - deserted road, cow fences on both sides). It's an interested experience. But upon further reflection with actual intelligence turned on I've decided that it was really stupid of me.

I'm completely with Ken on this one. Same thing here down to almost every detail.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,430 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
In all seriousness, a top speed run on a known road with one of these cars isn't a white knuckle experience where you're risking your life by taking a hand off the wheel to snap a photo. It's all about road conditions. I've done plenty of top speed runs in my youth, and probably have not done one since the early '90s. Even when we took Euro delivery of our BMW back in '99 and roamed the Autobahn. There's just no point. To me.

How inaccurate are Porsche speedos at that speed? Several years ago when I got the C4S I calculated the error at about 5% optimistic at about 130MPH.
I don't know about your car, but mine gets a little floaty above 150. I certainly would not want to take one hand off the wheel and focus a camera at the difficult to photograph speedo at those kinda speeds.

One rut in the road, and you may not live to regret it.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion, you took a calculated risk on a road you knew to be deserted of other human life. If that is the case, I don't have a problem with it. It's a lot better than the guys that blow through stop signs or do 45-50mph on neighborhood streets. Amazing that the tach needle was not even in the picture yet. Be safe.....

Quick Reply: *a special moment*