GT3 Seats on Ebay: real of fake???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickmysta
Thanks for the Info, Ilko. Unfortunately, I may be even more confused now. Does this mean I have to have the roll bar before I can eve try the seats? I tried them in an M3, not in a 993.

It would be great if you could let me know the measurement from the floor to the top of your shoulders when sitting on the floor, back straight.

Re: the GT3 seats, it seems they provide much more leeway in terms of properly setting the harness / roll bar.

Thanks again
I don't have the RSA anymore, so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to provide the measurements. The BMW and Porsche have a very different seating position. The Porsche is more upright, so comparing those two is not a very good way to determine whether a seat will be a good fit for you.

The problem I have the with the GT3 seats (aside from aesthetics) is that those huge holes might actually be dangerous in an accident because they would allow your body move more than the smaller holes in a PP seat would. This is just based on personal observation, I haven't had a chance to test the theory nor am I planning to. I could be completely off base here.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could ask the opinion of forum members on the authenticity of these GT3 seats on EBAY.

Seats experts - what say you?

Any views on the fair going price would also be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Nick
They look like GT3 seats to me. You might want to ask the seller to take pictures of any part # or other labels on the shell anywhere.

I'm not a seat expert, but I've owned at set of these and had them in a 993 I owned a few years ago. They are definitely a compromise seat. In all honesty, they aren't comfortable for street use. No where near as comfortable as the stock seat. That seems obvious but it's worth emphasizing. They are a compromise track seat as well. Leather in a track car is not optimal. There are reasons "real" race seats are cloth. I have Sparco seats in my 911 and REALLY comfortable leather seats in my Boxster.

Re price ... I sold mine for $2000. But that was 4-5 years ago.

Good luck.

Last edited by dave morris; 01-06-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

They look real to me, although the leather near the harness holes is a lot looser than what I''ve seen (or what I had with my old GT3 seats).
Old 01-06-2011, 06:30 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's what you want:

Also remember that if you're so tall that your shoulders are well above the harness holes, that's no good either.
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for your help.

Eric: re: the harness holes, if the shoulder clearance was fine in an M3, it should be fine in the 993 as well, right (i.e. seat angle should not affect that).

Since I will be purchasing the seats this year and the roll bar / harnesses in the following, I guess there is no danger in buying the PPs. Only problem is that I may have to replace them once I install the rest.

I presume Pole Positions with the 3-point belts are at least as safe as the stock seats with the 3-point...right?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Eric: re: the harness holes, if the shoulder clearance was fine in an M3, it should be fine in the 993 as well, right (i.e. seat angle should not affect that).
Yeah, obviously. But remember you also need the strap angle to be 0 to 20 degrees, so if you're so tall that you mount the seat super low, maybe the strap angle might be like -10 degrees? That's probably the only issue now, since you've established that your shoulders don't extend up higher than the harness holes. I'd be surprised if you could get a negative strap angle, but I don't really know the basis of this belief that 6' people can't use the PP so it's hard to rebut it.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM
leosayer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like there's a bit of damage visible in the 2nd picture. An inch to the left of harness hole.

Quick Reply: GT3 Seats on Ebay: real of fake???