Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Seats on Ebay: real of fake???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 Seats on Ebay: real of fake???

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could ask the opinion of forum members on the authenticity of these GT3 seats on EBAY.

Seats experts - what say you?

Any views on the fair going price would also be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Nick
Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickmysta
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could ask the opinion of forum members on the authenticity of these GT3 seats on EBAY.

Seats experts - what say you?
We say...no link
Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Haha - OOOPS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Benton
Drifting

Two things: it sure looks real to me, and the auction is only for one seat.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Sorry - I am a real mess today!! these are the seats I was referring to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Recar...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those look real to me.
They good to be in very good shape, with the 3-point belt connector and fire extiguisher mount.
If I did not have a set already, I'd be bidding against you.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

One picture has Recaro embossing, the other has Porsche crest. Why?

These seats look _really_ odd in a 993 in my opinion. But they are very comfortable and grip well.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Originally Posted by nile13

These seats look _really_ odd in a 993 in my opinion. But they are very comfortable and grip well.
Well... I feel I am out of options:

- Pole positions look great, but I am told they are dangerous if one is 6 feet tall or taller (I eventually want a harness);

- Profi XLs seem like good seats, but they do not fit the dual purpose mode: can't pick fabric, can't get rid of recaro logo

- Rottec GT2 replicas look fantastic, but most say they would be dangerous on the track (at times I wonder how my 15 y.o. hardbacks could be safer even if they are from the factory)

- Sparco EVO2's come with all the logos that I don't want

Not many options left!!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:49 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure what you're looking at but both seats are identical. Porsche crests on both (harder to see on the righthand seat) and recaro on the backs.

But I agree, they do look odd in the 993 cabin. I think GT2 seats are better suited aesthetically.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Crest on the front

Recaro on the rear

They actually look great in a 993
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Who told you that the Pole Positions are dangerous? Never heard of that. I used to have Pole Positions in my RSA and I am 6' and I tracked the car with a 6-pt harness. They are very comfortable seats and pass the Zone 1 PCA tech inspection which is one of the most rigorous in the country.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Originally Posted by ilko
Who told you that the Pole Positions are dangerous? Never heard of that. I used to have Pole Positions in my RSA and I am 6' and I tracked the car with a 6-pt harness. They are very comfortable seats and pass the Zone 1 PCA tech inspection which is one of the most rigorous in the country.
I have been told by many, including some that are 100% reliable. That said, you are not the first to have a different view (in our size).

My fear with them is that the harness holes would be too low. I sat in them once, and it seemed flush but fine (i am 6'-6.1). Would be even better if removing the cushion.

When I look at the dimensions provided by Recaro, they state that bottom of the seat to harness hole is 585mm. That sounds very very short to me. Is it because of the angle at which one sits?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm not sure what "100% reliable" means, but there is a very simple way to find out if those seats work for you. Look at the angle of the mounting points for the shoulder harnesses in relation to your shoulders. The harness should be either horizontal or up 20º slope down from your shoulder to the attachment point. Where are you attaching the harnesses? I used a DAS non-sunroof roll bar that worked great in my case.

585mm sounds about right. But that's to the bottom of the harness hole. You can safely add another 1.5" to that to account for the height of the opening.

BTW the Recaro GT3 seats are based on the Recaro SPG seats, only with a different "dome." The SPG seat is the ssame as the Pole Position seat, but wider IIRC.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Originally Posted by ilko
I'm not sure what "100% reliable" means, but there is a very simple way to find out if those seats work for you. Look at the angle of the mounting points for the shoulder harnesses in relation to your shoulders. The harness should be either horizontal or up 20º slope down from your shoulder to the attachment point. Where are you attaching the harnesses? I used a DAS non-sunroof roll bar that worked great in my case.

585mm sounds about right. But that's to the bottom of the harness hole. You can safely add another 1.5" to that to account for the height of the opening.

BTW the Recaro GT3 seats are based on the Recaro SPG seats, only with a different "dome." The SPG seat is the ssame as the Pole Position seat, but wider IIRC.
Thanks for the Info, Ilko. Unfortunately, I may be even more confused now. Does this mean I have to have the roll bar before I can eve try the seats? I tried them in an M3, not in a 993.

It would be great if you could let me know the measurement from the floor to the top of your shoulders when sitting on the floor, back straight.

Re: the GT3 seats, it seems they provide much more leeway in terms of properly setting the harness / roll bar.

Thanks again
Old 01-06-2011, 06:08 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickmysta
- Pole positions look great, but I am told they are dangerous if one is 6 feet tall or taller (I eventually want a harness);

- Rottec GT2 replicas look fantastic, but most say they would be dangerous on the track (at times I wonder how my 15 y.o. hardbacks could be safer even if they are from the factory)
Regarding the PP, like ilko said, either sit in one or look at measurements to see where you shoulders will be relative to the harness holes.

Regarding Rottec GT2, you may want to take the naysayers with a grain of salt since probably none of them have ever even seen a Rottec seat. I'm just saying that merely because it's not FIA certified doesn't make it "dangerous." Corbeau aren't certified either but they're fine seats. That said, this "unknown" safety factor is definitely a minus.

IMHO you should get over your dislike of brand logos on your seat, and simply get what makes the most sense, be it Sparco, Profi, or whatever.

Quick Reply: GT3 Seats on Ebay: real of fake???