993 Forum 1995-1998

Temp gauge fluctuating wildly...rises on left turn, drops on right turn

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:01 PM
RC000E
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Temp gauge fluctuating wildly...rises on left turn, drops on right turn

Working with my bosses car collection and getting some of his cars back in operating order. I'm working with a 58k mile 1996 Carrera 4s. Upon taking it out for a drive the other day I immediately noticed some wild behavior from the temp gauge. I then realized that on hard left turns, the gauge would rise rapidly, then on right turn it'd drop into the red. Oil temp was stable, no noticeable issues from the car. Upon sitting static the gauge sat at about 10 oclock.

Is this a coolant level issue, gauge problem...any common issues this points to? Hopin someone has a quickie answer to point me to.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:24 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Yeah, check the "coolant" level...if you can find any! Only "coolant" is oil. If the gauge read normally at idle, then I'd suspect a loose connection at the the gauge, the sender or a bad ground.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:27 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Is this a coolant level issue, gauge problem...any common issues this points to?
Yep, that's exactly what it is. Due to Mr. Gore's invention of global warming the coolant level fluctuates wildly lately. Also, the other coolant fluctuates heavily too, I think it closed near $100 a barrel on Thursday.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:57 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Working with my bosses car collection and getting some of his cars back in operating order. I'm working with a 58k mile 1996 Carrera 4s. Upon taking it out for a drive the other day I immediately noticed some wild behavior from the temp gauge. I then realized that on hard left turns, the gauge would rise rapidly, then on right turn it'd drop into the red. Oil temp was stable, no noticeable issues from the car. Upon sitting static the gauge sat at about 10 oclock.

Is this a coolant level issue, gauge problem...any common issues this points to? Hopin someone has a quickie answer to point me to.
Sounds like the oil level guage not the oil temp gauge. If the temp gauge is at 10 oclock it is way too hot.

If it is the oil level gauge you are referring to and it is registering at all when you are driving it is overfilled.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Sounds like the oil level guage not the oil temp gauge. If the temp gauge is at 10 oclock it is way too hot.

If it is the oil level gauge you are referring to and it is registering at all when you are driving it is overfilled.
+1 ..... surely sounds like you're looking at the oil level gauge: if the oil level is to the top of the "twisted' portion of the dip stick ( or above) when measured on a hot, running engine when on level ground ...... the level will read as observed.
If oil pressure and temp are stable, recheck for correct level.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:27 PM
J.Graham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. Can you please start with the Ferrari
Old 12-25-2010, 11:40 PM
RC000E
Intermediate

Hahaha....damn Germans...lol. Boy you guys got me on that one...lol. Goes to show I'm new at Porsche and overlooked the air cooled in one clean swoop. Man, goes to show now matter what you've accomplished in the car world you can still get owned just like that...haha....man that's a good one. I'm gonna laugh to myself over this for a bit..haha.

So, anyway...the indicator I am referring to is the one that shares with the fuel level gauge on the far left. Someone help me out here...haha. What's the gauge specifically indicating and what are the possibilities. My thinking is this must be the oil fill level (based on what you guys are saying) that's all over the place? Temp/Pressure were rock solid. Pressure dropped at idle a bit, climbed under driving conditions. Oil temp was rock solid....like below 9 o'clock.

Man...that's some funny stuff...haha...what the hell...
Old 12-26-2010, 01:00 AM
RC000E
Intermediate

alright, so based on what you guys have led me to...the fact that this is the oil level gauge, I've searched google and discovered that according to the manual this gauge should only be referenced with the engine hot, on level ground and at idle for 30 seconds. Best reference for oil level is just checking the stick and the gauge is normal to fluctuate all over during various driving conditions....so not a damn thing wrong with it....

At least we got a funny out of the deal right...lol.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Not intended to be a funny .... but it kinda was ..... actually, you are discovering some of the idiosyncrasies of one of the worlds great rides: here's another that catches some.
When the car is well warmed up after a brisk sprint, a gurgling noise will rise from the right side footwell when slowing down to modest speed - sounds like a coolant line with air lock: no coolant, right? It is the oil reservoir thermostat opening and flowing oil up to the RF fender cooler.
Enjoy the experience!!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny, I've owned my 993 for 3 months now and have been was wondering what the hell that gurgling sound was (seriously).......mystery solved !

Quick Reply: Temp gauge fluctuating wildly...rises on left turn, drops on right turn