993 Forum 1995-1998

Fuse Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:43 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Box

In an effort to find out why my fog lights have ceased to work (I didn't find the answer yet) I noticed that the entire "board" holding the relays & fuses seems to be floating. Upon closer examination, I noticed the hole (see arrow). Is a screw/bolt or something missing from this location, and if so what is it and where can I find it?
TIA
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Have you tried looking into the hole to see if threads exist? Maybe a small mirror?

Andreas
Old 12-12-2010, 01:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

What you need that is missing is the fuse panel hold-down block and screw attaching it to the inside of the fuse box.

It is that white piece of plastic at the bottom left of the fuse panel in the first photo below. That part holds it down while the black plastic topped screw diagonally on the other end screws the panel down.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

The fuse panel hold-down that you are missing appears to be item 13 in the following diagram (shown upside down though)...

If that is it, PN: 964 610 232 00

Check to see if that hold-down and socket head cap screw/washer haven't dropped down into the cavity below the fuse box.

Your fuse panels appears to be quite dirty. There is a cover with built-in seal that is held down by two clips that seals it off.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
In an effort to find out why my fog lights have ceased to work (I didn't find the answer yet) I noticed that the entire "board" holding the relays & fuses seems to be floating. Upon closer examination, I noticed the hole (see arrow). Is a screw/bolt or something missing from this location, and if so what is it and where can I find it?
TIA
I'm curious to know if your backup lights also do not work? I've had problems with my foglights operating intermittently since I bought my car. When foglights don't work, backup lights don't work. Same fuse. I can achieve 'sucess' in getting them to work (also intermittently) by re-seating the relay.

chuck
Old 12-12-2010, 07:38 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
What you need that is missing is the fuse panel hold-down block and screw attaching it to the inside of the fuse box.
I thought I was the only person who made sure all of my fuses were oriented in the same direction...

Andreas
Old 12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I thought I was the only person who made sure all of my fuses were oriented in the same direction...

Andreas
My 993 was ordered with option M850: aligned fuses.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:46 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Holy smokes!!! I think I saw that piece the first night I got the car. It was not where it should be (according to your pics) and when I went to grab it, it slipped into the abyss! I blame it on the single malt we were toasting with! It looks as if I will also need the screw assembly. Is there any electrical danger in trying to lift the board up to look for it? Is there even enough slack?
Compared to yours, mine is a pig! I don't know how it got that way but what do you recommend to clean it? Should I take all the relays etc off so as not to get any liquid underneath them? The cover with the two clips is always on, so this must have happened while someone was doing some work with it off. What tho', I can't imagine or don't want to know. Thanks again for straightening me out!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You two are sick. I bet this slightly discolored and crooked "1" sticker is driving you two nuts...
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Now you guys have me going for sure!
@Chuck: I am now going to have to see if that is the case with mine. So you think it is relay related? My horn is also wonky, so I'm going to replace both relays and see what happens. (I tried swapping the relay next to the one for the horn ...I think it is the backup relay...and nothing happened). Maybe both are bad?
@Andreas: I think I only got M425: some are some aren't
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

I just went down and checked. I've got backup lights but no fogs
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I think I saw that piece the first night I got the car. It was not where it should be (according to your pics) and when I went to grab it, it slipped into the abyss!
Well I doubt it could have fallen into the fuse box itself due to its size, but you can check. One thing is for sure, it is in the car.

Get yourself one of those super duper goober removers and a flashlight on a lanyard and have a look down into the area under the fuse box.

It looks as if I will also need the screw assembly.
Do you think I could find the fuse box and that screw in the Porsche parts catalog.

Is there any electrical danger in trying to lift the board up to look for it? Is there even enough slack?
Not really, but if it makes you feel good, disconnect the negative battery cable.

I lifted mine out to get a screw that had fallen in.

Compared to yours, mine is a pig!
Blame it on the previous owner.

I don't know how it got that way but what do you recommend to clean it? Should I take all the relays etc off so as not to get any liquid underneath them?
Label the relays, take a pic and remove them.

Use a damp cloth sprayed with citrus cleaner, if you want to clean it. Wipe with a damp cloth and let dry.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:04 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
My 993 was ordered with option M850: aligned fuses.
Pure gold.

Originally Posted by cabrio993
You two are sick. I bet this slightly discolored and crooked "1" sticker is driving you two nuts...
Easy to fix with Photoshop for posing on the Interwebz...

Voilà!

@Andreas: I think I only got M425: some are some aren't
Nice!

Andreas
Old 12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Pcarhombre, are you any good with a DMM and electrical schematics?

If so, this is easy to troubleshoot. Let me know and I can PM you with schematics.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Easy to fix with Photoshop for posing on the Interwebz...

Andreas
Andreas, you already know I like my 993 box stock original.

Quick Reply: Fuse Box