Sponsored by:

Almost made a huge mistake today

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

With a 993 in the garage, I no longer feel the need to stuff a rag sock down my drawers.

Andreas
Old 12-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is funny.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Whalebird: Sounds lovely. I agree with some of your ideas but...

Originally Posted by whalebird
the Mustang is one of the most HONEST sports cars you can get.
Can you define honest?

Executing a clear design objective with quality and efficiency is hard to find these days. So much of whats available to us is a sum of design compramises.
What is the clear design objective?

Do you define lego-like hard plastic interior as "quality"?

How is a +3,700lb "sports car" efficient?

How is a new car with a suspension design from the last century not a design compromise?

The Mustang is a purpose built sports car for sure...and one hell of a drivers car.
What is it's purpose in your opinion? To me, a +3700lb, 415HP car with an outdated suspension is not a sports car. It's a good car to do burnouts with. It is definitely not how I would define a driver's car. A driver's car is nimble (light) and intuitive (good suspension) regardless of power. Like the Miata, the 993 the Hyundai you reference.

The socio-economic market strata they may fall into is not part of this discussion beyond pure car-snobbery. I know many well heeled people in my community that have a garage full of the coolest cars and often, there is a Mustang GT next to a collection of exotic iron of all orgins.
Because the Mustang badge has been around for 45 years, it has nostalgic appeal to baby boomers. Point taken. Beyond that, what is the target market for a fat pig with a big block you can buy for $36k? Hint: Who bought the 5.0L Mustangs form the 80's? Snobbery and facts are two different things.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Graham
And if anyone knows someone in Vancouver with one of these "Mustang Sports Cars"- I would like to invite them to join me this spring for our Duffy Lake Tour, so I can kick the snot of it in my 95 993- and put an end to this stupidity
Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Yup, the Mustang is a heavy pig. But it only weighs a few hundred pounds more than your '95 993. It also benefits from 130 more horses and torques.

Since the 2011 Mustang runs about the same as a 2011 BMW M3 around a racetrack, I think you'd be in for a rude awakening, even in the twisties.

The 2011 Mustang is a better performance car by the numbers in every way over the Porsche 993. Again, I'm not a fan, and I wouldn't want one over my 993 C4S, but I'm even less of a fan of delusions of grandeur.

You'd get your *** kicked in any race with your '95 993 vs. a 2011 Mustang GT. But you'd still have the overall better car, in my opinion.
Graham, even though 600lbs is nothing to sneeze at, I have to agree with Philip. You might need a 997 to give the Mustang a good run.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 PM
J.Graham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll put my money where my mouth is
Old 12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

A racetrack is relatively smooth. Real-world roads have bumps and other nasty things that may be tough to deal with piloting a live-axle equipped car.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I'll put my money where my mouth is
If your car is stock with no major modifications, I'll take that bet. Me, or my driver of choice, in a 2011 Mustang GT vs. you in your 1995 Porsche Carrera on an agreed racetrack.

How about we say the winner of the race gets the other person's car? Personally I'd rather play for even higher stakes, but name the wager, place and time, please.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

lol, I can't wait to respond to this crap in the morning.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:01 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

There's a reason why I have less than 500 posts in 10 years (well many reasons) but one is that I never get pulled in by troll posts. It doesnt bother me that you're trolling or even that this thread is reaching 10 pages but I would never waste my time with a 993 v. mustang debate. It was funny at first to see people pulled in by your trolling but now its not the least bit interesting. Now if you started a 993 v. Camry post you might have something.

[QUOTE=Quadcammer;8125000]Many car enthusiasts love mustangs. There is a reason they have been so popular since 1964.5. 99% end up as scrap? Don't be ignorant.

Just because in 5 years, there will be used mustangs in the high school parking lot, doesn't mean they are poor cars.

I can respect corvettes, WRX STIs, EVOs, etc, as good performance cars, even if I don't like them or want to buy one.

Why can't you do the same?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:15 PM
J.Graham
Instructor

I'm not talking race tracks and professional drivers here. I'm talking the guys who actually buy these cars- suburban dad reliving his high school days and thinks he's got an "awesome sports car"- against a guy with no professional racing experience on one of the twistiest roads around (mostly 3rd and 4th gear hard cornering). I'd put up $500 and I think I'd win! So iif you'd be interested GBD- it would be a he'll of a lot of fun
Old 12-11-2010, 05:41 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your idea of a sports car hinges on articulated rear suspension, then you will strike some of the most important sports cars in history from their status. It is a viable setup and proven - they provide gobs of grip, just ride poorly. Few advancements have been made in automotive architecture since the twenties so the "modern car" is much the same as it's always been. A Mustang could be considered a small GT, like many of the front engine Ferrari's/Aston's etc. Boiling the tires is a task many cars are good at - a 928 ranks highly.
As for "***** extension"... well thats an affront to all car enthusiasts who choose to enjoy something other than what you've chosen to enjoy.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:55 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I'm not talking race tracks and professional drivers here. I'm talking the guys who actually buy these cars- suburban dad reliving his high school days and thinks he's got an "awesome sports car"- against a guy with no professional racing experience on one of the twistiest roads around (mostly 3rd and 4th gear hard cornering). I'd put up $500 and I think I'd win! So iif you'd be interested GBD- it would be a he'll of a lot of fun
We're talking about cars here, not people. Making some rye presumption about who buys what just reflects your need to validate your own purchase. If you are smarter, have better taste, and are a better driver because you own a Porsche...well thats ***** extension.
Take it to the track. I've lapped 993s with a variety of 911SCs, all the while being lapped myself by an 80s vintage Mustang Cobra.
Any talk of street racing is strongly prohibited on Rennlist. A good track will seperate the sheep from the goats and the latest Mustangs are serious cars. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

If your idea of a sports car hinges on articulated rear suspension, then you will strike some of the most important sports cars in history from their status. It is a viable setup and proven - they provide gobs of grip, just ride poorly. Few advancements have been made in automotive architecture since the twenties so the "modern car" is much the same as it's always been. A Mustang could be considered a small GT, like many of the front engine Ferrari's/Aston's etc. Boiling the tires is a task many cars are good at - a 928 ranks highly.
As for "***** extension"... well thats an affront to all car enthusiasts who choose to enjoy something other than what you've chosen to enjoy.
Got yer ***** extension right here. 'Scuze me while I wash my hood and get coolant to spew out.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2010, 07:34 PM
J.Graham
Instructor

Feelings not hurt at all- this is all in good fun
I shouldn't have said "win" because that does imply racing, I should have said "keep-up" because I don't think this mustang would keep-up on one of our spirited Duffy Lake Drives. I may be wrong- but I really don't think so. I would love to see one come out and play- but I highly doubt it would ever happen!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Real world roads have bumps and other nasty things...timothy moffatt
And the Duffy is one of the nastiest. Was it summer before last that a PCA group went through, and 3 out of 7 P-cars got bent rims? And my buddy blew a front fork seal, riding it on his BMW K100RS.

But I love the Duffy:

Driving a live axle sporty car on it, would be high entertainment.

Quick Reply: Almost made a huge mistake today