Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Copycat!
Showoff!

That's really just jealousy talking there....I did a preliminary cleaning of 1 rear wheel well, not to the levels you two have here, and it took about 2 hours of work...geez... Much more work to do to even begin to measure up to the madness!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are sick...
Old 12-07-2010, 03:17 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
I knew this would bring Andreas' pictures out. Others? Cactus?

After going thru a case of Xenit last winter and not getting close to those guys look, I gave up.
The first time I tried to clean the wheel wells it didn't work out so hot. The cosmoline just seemed like it wasn't going to come off. It smeared and was just nasty. But the second time I tried it I left the Xenit on for a while (like a good 20 mins), and SATURATED the wheel wells and it came off a lot easier. The trick was to do a preliminary scraping with a plastic scraper. That got off the bulk of it, then go back for a few more rounds with a rag.

Before:

After:
Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys make me sick!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AOW, Well done! You have a little time on me, but hope I can pester you with too many PMS and questions. Do you mind being my mentor? Is there a position open? What are the qualifications?

Here are two from my last project..that stopped being driven year 'round.

Basically, I started with a lot of Purple Power, pressure wash, blow dry, then paint thinner to remove undercoating from plastic and powder coated surfaces, and a wire brush attachment on cast parts. Razor bade action here and there to remove pesky tar and some plastic conditioner on splash guards and plastic covers. Same with you, AOW?
Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
Basically, I started with a lot of Purple Power, pressure wash, blow dry, then paint thinner to remove undercoating from plastic and powder coated surfaces, and a wire brush attachment on cast parts. Razor bade action here and there to remove pesky tar and some plastic conditioner on splash guards and plastic covers. Same with you, AOW?
I've been chipping away at mine when time allows over the last five years. Every winter, the car is on stands for a few months - which gives me time to do oil/brake fluid/clutch fluid/etc. changes, as well as attend to some cleaning.

Over the years, I've found Xenit to work best for my needs. Once I've cleaned something, I wash with water, let dry, and then saturate with 303 Protectant.

I'm dreading looking under there in a few weeks - the car has not been washed in at least 5 months and is filthy from a few trips.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Removing 12 years of "mild use" GROSS!