Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Advice needed: Should I keep it, or move on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Austin993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning noise

Originally Posted by CarreraX
+1. Mike, it is the front wheel drive cars (and awd) that need cv's when they make noise turning. I agree with the PS.
My description of the noise made it sound like a noise when turning in a parking lot. i.e. like front-wheel drive cars or one with low PS fluid. However, my noise sounds more like bad wheel bearings and changes with the weight transfer on a winding road.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:11 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There is something to look at and rule out for your steering noise. Have a look at the inside of your front tires and the wheel wells for any signs of rubbing. This may or may not apply to your '96 and if not I apologize. The '95 cars came standard with 17" wheels. Adding 18" wheels required steering stops to prevent the tires from rubbing. There is a TSB on this issue. If you can't find it I should be able to pull it up and send it to you. Again, without looking I am not certain it applied to later cars.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:12 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
There is something to look at and rule out for your steering noise. Have a look at the inside of your front tires and the wheel wells for any signs of rubbing. This may or may not apply to your '96 and if not I apologize. The '95 cars came standard with 17" wheels. Adding 18" wheels required steering stops to prevent the tires from rubbing. There is a TSB on this issue. If you can't find it I should be able to pull it up and send it to you. Again, without looking I am not certain it applied to later cars.

I think you might be confusing "steering rack brace" to support 18" inch wheels on 1995 MY. It was to add more structural support to the steering rack.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Austin993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I would post an update. I decided to take the 993 to Moorespeed in Austin for all needed maintenance. This includes CV service (not sure if it means replacement yet) and the wheel bearing. Its getting new brakes and rotors too. I decided to hold off on the SAI repair for now. The top end quote was $9k and full rebuild was $15K. David Moore would not do the flush because he said it was a waste of money. We will see on all that. It doesn't burn oil so I may just get some black tape for the dash until I find a good price on a rebuild.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:49 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin993
I thought I would post an update. I decided to take the 993 to Moorespeed in Austin for all needed maintenance. This includes CV service (not sure if it means replacement yet) and the wheel bearing. Its getting new brakes and rotors too. I decided to hold off on the SAI repair for now. The top end quote was $9k and full rebuild was $15K. David Moore would not do the flush because he said it was a waste of money. We will see on all that. It doesn't burn oil so I may just get some black tape for the dash until I find a good price on a rebuild.
Sounds like you're keeping it then. Wise move. Driving a car that you know is up to snuff mechanically makes you feel better about the car.

If the car isn't burning oil I wouldn't bother with a top end rebuild. Have you replaced all the ignition parts recently (caps/rotors/plugs/wires)? How about belts? Any combination of these items has been known to trigger CELs.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:41 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Quick update, Austin 993 decided to sell it to me......the trusted friend with first right of refusal I promise I will give it a good home. I really miss my old 993 and this one will make a good replacement. I do have a nicely restored early 911 (with a 280hp 3.2ss that I restored using the money from my old 993....so this car will be more of a driver. That also means I will need to start all over doing the mods I did to my old 993. Anyway, here is a link to my 911 resto if anyone is interested:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ect-lilly.html

Im really looking forward to getting this car from Michael in a week or whenever the transport company can get it. Anyway, just thought I would give an update. It is nice to be able to come to Rennlist w/o getting sad because I am 993less. And for the record, I think a 997 will be exactly what Michael needs although I honestly did try to talk him into keeping the 993. I will say that he did keep this car longer than any other car I remember. Glad to be back...almost
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Spidey 993

Congrats on your new to you 993.

I may be looking for a higher mileage 993 C4 myself, so I was excited until I saw your post.

Now I'm excited for you. Enjoy
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Tony. I appreciate it. My dream 993 is a White C2S/C4S/TT with black or gray in perfect condition. when I have the cash and the perfect car shows up I will pass this one along. Until then....Gotta get a 3 spoke w/ leather airbag and PSS10's ASAP.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Quick update, Austin 993 decided to sell it to me......the trusted friend with first right of refusal
Welcome back!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:59 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see the car runs without the flush or the rebuild. Please let us know.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 993James993
It will be interesting to see the car runs without the flush or the rebuild. Please let us know.
It runs fine. I will want to do a LTW FW soon so I may just do the top end while I have it out. Havent gotten that far yet. Of course if you have the heads off how much harder is it just to do a 3.8l conversion Ok, too much coffee......

Quick Reply: Advice needed: Should I keep it, or move on?