Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed: Should I keep it, or move on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Austin993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed: Should I keep it, or move on?

Help please. I need advice on whether or not I should sell, invest a little, or go all-in for the long term. Trading up is also an option.

Here is the situation. About a year and a half ago I purchased my first 993. Upon the advice of a trusted friend, I purchased a 1996 C4, Arena red with 107K miles. It was a one-owner car with all the service handled at the dealer where it was originally purchased. (disclosure: I actually purchased it from a guy who bought it in a bankruptcy auction who turned the car after a month of owning it, but all the miles were from the original owner who fell on some bad luck.) I purchased it in Dayton, OH but I live in Austin,TX. I paid $21,500. When I got back to Texas I had no problem passing the smog test.

The condition of the car is pretty darn good. The body has no dents or door dings. The lower front bumper has hit a few curbs and probably should be replaced; the plastic pieces are a little damaged and could use new fasteners to hold it all together perfectly. The interior is also in pretty darn good shape. There is some wear on the seat bolster (driver's side) but otherwise it is in very nice shape for a 15-year old car.

One of the reasons I bought this car was I really liked the major options. It has the 18" hollow turbo wheels. It also has the hard back sport seats and upgraded stereo (since replaced by a high-end unit with bluetooth).

Fast forward 5,000 miles of trouble-free driving. Other than window switches, engine oil, and new tires the car has been absolutely great. It doesn't even burn oil that I can tell. I like owning an older 911 with all it's character, etc. But, to be honest I'm not like most on this forum: I love this car, but I could also love a 997 with it's good air conditioning, etc.

Now here is the question: The check engine light has flipped on and I know I'm going to need the SAI flushed or probably a top end rebuild. It also is going to need wheel bearings or CV joints (I hear a noise when I turn). Other maintenance will be needed, I'm sure, when the mechanic takes it apart. So, all total, let's say it needs $2,000 (bearings, CV boots, etc) at the minimum. Or, it needs up to $10,000 total maintenance. I'm guessing on the $10K number. Is this car worth putting in $10,000?

On the plus side, if I do all this I will "know" that the car is in good shape even though it has a lot of miles on it. On the negative side, I will probably be upside down in terms of the value.

I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts and/or advice.
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's not burning oil I expect you can probably clean out the SAI passages instead of a top end overhaul. It should then cost you much less than 10K. Certainly worth putting some money into since it appears in good shape otherwise.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:34 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 474 Posts

Needed maintenance is no reason to get rid of a car. Selling a car with "issues" will cost you. CEL can be many things and doesn't automatically mean top-end time. 107K miles is not that many miles. If you really like the car get the work done (whatever that work is) and move on. These cars can and will do big mileage with proper maintenance.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:38 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Another option to wasting time cleaning the SAI is to have Protomotive reprogram the ECU and turn off the SAI checks. If you have a a 97 version ECU the price is cheap.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:41 PM
dnmnm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have the garage space, I suggest you do both: fix and keep the 993 and buy a 997. They are completely different cars, in almost every way, and each of them are enjoyable to drive. For what you're likely to get on the sale, I'm guessing it will be worth far more to just keep the 993 as an occasional/weekend driver. You know the history of the car and seem to be comfortable with it. Hang on to it, you won't be sorry!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:49 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Another opinion: You got a very, very good price, inasmuch as the HBS seats are probably worth $3,000 with a trade; and you got the benefit of a one-owner well-maintained car. Get the SAI cleaned and keep it. A 997 will have maintenance costs in excess of the 993; and as a bonus you've got this forum.

However, having lived with Texas summers for many years, you should spend to upgrade the AC.

BT, nice looking C4.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If all you need is valve guides, you can do it for a lot less than $10k ... I had the top end done on my 97 for about $3500.

A high mileage car with some issues will not get you much money on the market, but if you like the car, do the repairs and amortize them over a few years while you're enjoying the car.

I'm not aware of any upgrades that can be done to the 993's AC, am I missing something?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 AM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Austin, nice looking 993 and sounds as if you like it very much. Maybe more information is needed. When was the last major service done? (belts, plugs, dist. caps, rottors and wires) what codes have setting off your check engine light? ....
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Another option to wasting time cleaning the SAI is to have Protomotive reprogram the ECU and turn off the SAI checks. If you have a a 97 version ECU the price is cheap.
First I heard of this. Would love some details.

Originally Posted by vjd3
If all you need is valve guides, you can do it for a lot less than $10k ... I had the top end done on my 97 for about $3500.
C'mon, Vic. If memory serves, you got this done at Exotech in NH. $3,500 is the cheapest price in the nation, hardly representative of the "average," which seems to be $6K-$8K.

OP- if you plan to keep the car, get it done. 112K miles won't get you much if you sell...
Old 11-29-2010, 01:22 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Needed maintenance is no reason to get rid of a car. Selling a car with "issues" will cost you. CEL can be many things and doesn't automatically mean top-end time. 107K miles is not that many miles. If you really like the car get the work done (whatever that work is) and move on. These cars can and will do big mileage with proper maintenance.
Well said.

Andreas
Old 11-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Austin993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top End rebuild

Originally Posted by 993James993
What makes you think that a car that does not burn oil needs a top end rebuild?
The car has since failed the state inspection because of the clogged SAE. The dealer took it apart to verify that the pump is indeed working. I have not yet had a quote on having it flushed. But, that is the next step. Thus it presents another decision point: Do I spend $XXX for a flush on a 112K motor? Or, just go ahead and do an entire top end rebuild and "fix everything"??

Otherwise, the motor runs great and doesn't leak or burn oil. The belts, hoses, etc are in fine condition because scheduled maintenance has been done on the car prior to me owning it. It needs new brake pads and rotors, which I consider not a big deal because I can do that myself. It has stock shocks which I would eventually like to switch to ROW or something else.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:48 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would avoid the top end rebuild and opt for the flush. I would investigate the ECU reprograming as suggested by MartinS4 in post #4 above. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
C'mon, Vic. If memory serves, you got this done at Exotech in NH. $3,500 is the cheapest price in the nation, hardly representative of the "average," which seems to be $6K-$8K.
Yes, it was done at Exotech. But I also had spoken to the owner at Autobahn in Peabody MA and he was in that same ballpark for just doing valve guides, if that was all that was needed. You can go to five different shops and get five different estimates. The $8k guy will do an excellent job, I'm sure. But you might be able to find the local guy tearing down the motors for the PCA track cars who can change valve guides in his sleep, doesn't need to send the heads out to someone else, etc. I haven't lived in Austin long enough to know where the race guys take their cars here. But while Exotech's price is very reasonable -- his shop has almost zero overhead -- I'm not so sure he's that much of an exception nationwide. You have your dealers, your big, successful (and busy) independents with great reputations, and, if you're lucky, the local barn guy who knows what he's doing. I had a similar experience in Florida years ago with a 3.2 Carrera, two dealers, two big well-known independents, and then I found the smaller shop. In fact, I drove my 930 down there from Kansas a few years later and he put a clutch in it for $1000, when the dealer back home wanted $2600.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

I would do the flush especially if the car isnt burning oil and avoid the top end. As for keeping it I think that is a subjective question. Would I spend 10k on my car to fix it vs getting a 997... the answer is absolutely. But I don't want a 997 INSTEAD of my 993 so it is worth it to me to invest that kind of cash. It sounds to me like you want the creature comforts of the newer car and there is nothing wrong with that. IMO if you did the flush and got the CEL worked out, you should be able to get what you paid or slightly more for your car with those options. Then you are 10k from getting in a early model 997. Just a thought.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Really only you can answer these questions. But you say it's a great car, but then you lust after the 997. Go & drive a 997 & see if it is better for you, & trade your 993 in for it.

Have you read the codes to make sure it's a SAI thing? Your car will not fail smog with a clogged SAI, it's the CEL that fails you.

Quick Reply: Advice needed: Should I keep it, or move on?