Sponsored by:

OT: seller's remorse and the buyers who bought their cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:22 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Dreaming should be reserved for a nice clean low miles E30 M3 Although that's not a daily driver.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:12 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my 993 C2S after years of looking for a high-mileage, accident-free C2S with full service records from Rennlister UserA. I had to harass him repeatedly as he didn't want to sell the damn thing. After much badgering, I convinced him to find a title transfer place in PA that was open on a snowy Sunday so that I could take legal ownership of the car while it sat at the shop where it had recently passed a PPI.

I don't think he misses it much anymore though as he found a 993TT to replace it.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:00 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still pine over my first Porsche. A 1989 Silver Anniversary Edition with 15k miles after 10 years. Original owner. A classic that I wish I still had to concours!

Oh well!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still kick myself everyday for letting Mike (Arena993) drive away with my C4 Cab. It was far from pristine, but I can't believe that I replaced it with a 996 cab. The 996 was a nice car (too nice), but not the Hell on Wheels that the C4 was.

I can still picture and hear in my mind the car going down the street out of sight.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I haven't bought a new vehicle since I purchased my 1991 Nissan pickup truck when I was a fledgling advertising photographer.

My used cars in the order that I bought them:

-1995 Nissan Pathfinder - handled like a car, drove that thing like a race car. Happy to sell it to upgrade to the '94 4Runner.

-1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited - handsome dark green with hood scoop, five spoke wheels and, get this, a 5 speed manual gearbox. Tranny had somewhat long throws, but was precise, very mechanical and a joy to shift. Reluctantly sold it to upgrade to the '98 4Runner.

-1995 Porsche 993 C2 - still have it. I paid $40,000 for a cherry C2 with 37,000 miles and slowly turned it into a race car with a stripped interior. Not my best financial move, but it has performed with phenomenal, near bullet-proof reliability, shocking considering that it gets thrashed on the track. Third gear shifter fork broke a few years ago, but that's pretty much been the extent of the major issues. Has 56,000 miles on it.

-2000 Toyota Sequoia Limited - decent race car tow vehicle and client car but was plagued by minor electrical issues, a seized AC compressor and a blown tranny at 113,000. Happy to unload that cursed truck.

-1996 Mazda Miata M Edition - my first Miata. Should never have bought a car that was turbo'd (turbo removed by PO), but price was semi-decent. Engine blew after approx. 4,000 miles. Put used motor in and poplar tree dropped a huge-*** branch on the hardtop, hood, door, fender and windshield less than two weeks after motor was installed. My neighbors could hear me lobbing F-bombs from over 100 yards away. Car was in shop for so long that I pulled the comprehensive insurance and was just going to have coverage renewed, so it had zero insurance coverage. Nice.

2005 Porsche 997S - bought it at a great price from a guy who needed money fast and then sold it shortly after I got it. PSE exhaust was to-die-for, but I hated the e-throttle and how it interfered with left-foot braking.

1990 Mazda Miata - bought for $400. Added a new battery, polished the faded paint, shampooed and 303'd the interior and sold it for $2,300, IIRC.

-2002 Mazda Miata SE - still have it. Bought in the winter of 2007 with 24,000 miles for $11,500, another steal. KBB says it's worth $9,000 in good condition. Been incredibly reliable and an awesome handling, well-balanced car that is miserly with gas. I just love driving this car and tossing it into freeway on and off ramps. It taught me how to trail-brake.

-2007 Toyota Sequoia Limited - still have it. Bought in 2008 at the height of the petroleum "crisis" for $28,500 with only 9,000 miles on the clock. Today, with 27,000 miles, it's worth $32,000.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:29 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 1973 V-12 E-type from the original owner in CT more than 20 years ago. It only had 9,000 miles at the time and I could tell he really hated to see it go. I still have it, now with 22,000 and all original paint, top, interior etc. and in near perfect condition. It was an unusual car as it's a 4 speed with factory hardtop. I'm sure the PO still wonders what happened to the car and regrets selling it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I bought a 1973 V-12 E-type from the original owner in CT more than 20 years ago. It only had 9,000 miles at the time and I could tell he really hated to see it go. I still have it, now with 22,000 and all original paint, top, interior etc. and in near perfect condition. It was an unusual car as it's a 4 speed with factory hardtop. I'm sure the PO still wonders what happened to the car and regrets selling it.
My gawd that's cool.
Are there any others left that compare with that one? I can't imagine that there are...
I'll damn straight betcha that guy kicked himself for selling it.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing can compare to the Jag, but I'll post mine. I inherited it from my mother. Doesn't appeal to everyone, but sure had memories for me. It looked like it just came off the showroom floor back in 1975. You can still see the "body protection coating" from the factory under the front and back quarters. Sold it last year.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 276 Posts

I bought my 1985 M635csi from a good friend who was slowly coming to terms with selling it due to the fact that he was in the midst of a serious restoration of his E9. I was also head long into a serious project & we were using the same shop for our builds, which also has a small showroom. Jay had the BMW in the showroom "kind of for sale" & we had loosely discussed me buying it, but I was resisting slightly. With my project in the final stages, I was at the shop regularly to provide direction & decisions and would always walk over to see the M6 before leaving... Well, one day it wasn't there and I freaked out thinking that it had sold to someone else; when in reality Jay had just taken it for a day or two to run it. We did the deal the next day!

I've always thought that the BMW E24 is one of the best proportioned cars ever produced & lusted for them as a kid in the UK. The US versions were never of interest due to the horrible DOT crap that was bolted on. This is a true gray market car & somehow made it through the DOT process with very little modification (just the MPH speedo!) - NO side markers!

Jay is happier that I bought the car as he gets to see it & drive it once in a while. He also has the peace of mind that the car receives a very high level of care and attention, along with a fresh set of wheels every now and then....
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Nurburger: Always lusted after the M6 and 635csi of that gen. Even the M5.

I have no regrets but I do have fond memories:

96 C4S - Unmolested garage queen with 30k mi, blk/blk, sport seats. Befriended the new owner.
02 M5 - blk/blk fully optioned except alcantara.
85 930 - ****s and giggles. Sold it with 38k about six years ago.
97 S6 - 993 with four doors.

Most new cars are simply not that memorable.

Quick Reply: OT: seller's remorse and the buyers who bought their cars