Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Upright question...Do they change the 'spindle' height?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:42 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RS Upright question...Do they change the 'spindle' height?

Does the hub actually sit higher in the wheel carrier relative to a stock upright? If nothing else were swapped, would the car sit lower? When i stare at the photos posted by Bill V. it looks like the distance between the bearing race and the ball joint is further on the RS upright.

Thereby lowering the car a bit without changing the angle of the control arms as much. It would make sense, but i don't know if its true. I know the tie rods attach and actuate in a better position to negate bump steer, but want (need) to know if the front axle sits higher in the car.

For further confusion, can anyone compare the RS upright to the 964 upright for the same data? Would it be as simple as measuring from control-arm mount to bearing race? or is the race a different size? oh for crying out loud. I'm blowing my brain up.

While I'm at it, does the upright change anything else? track width, etc?

Oh, uhh, and yes, I searched my *** off..

if anyone can help, thanks thanks thanks..
Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a pic from Bill V from the pelican site. It appears it does raise the bearing/spindle height thus lowering the car. (Clean one is the EVO/ RS piece)
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2010, 11:59 AM
trophy
Race Car

Here is the link to the pelican post.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-begins-3.html

Regards
Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Thats the picture that got me thinking.. theres lots of talk about the RS relocation of the tie rod, but not other positioning (ride height, track, etc).

Furthermore, I wish there was a better shot comparing the 964 wheel carrier and the RS..
Old 11-26-2010, 01:02 PM
trophy
Race Car

Hopefully Bill will see this thread and chime in.

Why so much interest in the 964 carrier? Have you purchased something?
Old 11-26-2010, 01:03 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a set of RS Uprights sitting in a box at home that I intend to put on this winter. So, if there are any other pictures or measurements you would like let me know. Can't help with the 964 uprights, though.
The following users liked this post:
howiedoit (12-06-2019)
Old 11-26-2010, 01:24 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

oh yea. Guess I forgot to mention i bought a perfect 92' 964. white/black. Its getting the "works".

I know the best way to figure this out is to measure them side by side. Thought perhaps there was some experience with this already..
Old 11-26-2010, 01:39 PM
trophy
Race Car

I take it the ride you had in the Twin Turbo 964 got you thinking? Looking forward to hearing more about your project.....

I would check over on the 964 board, i know there is always alot of talk about the use of RS uprights on the 964 cars. I am assuming you will be going to 993TT calipers etc as the stock 964 calipers won't fit on the RS uprights.

Do a search for Geoffrey (Ring) and his posts regarding suspension and RS uprights. It has something to do with NB vs WB 964's etc...
Old 11-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by P1CR
Does the hub actually sit higher in the wheel carrier relative to a stock upright? If nothing else were swapped, would the car sit lower? When i stare at the photos posted by Bill V. it looks like the distance between the bearing race and the ball joint is further on the RS upright.

Thereby lowering the car a bit without changing the angle of the control arms as much. It would make sense, but i don't know if its true. I know the tie rods attach and actuate in a better position to negate bump steer, but want (need) to know if the front axle sits higher in the car.

For further confusion, can anyone compare the RS upright to the 964 upright for the same data? Would it be as simple as measuring from control-arm mount to bearing race? or is the race a different size? oh for crying out loud. I'm blowing my brain up.

While I'm at it, does the upright change anything else? track width, etc?

Oh, uhh, and yes, I searched my *** off..

if anyone can help, thanks thanks thanks..
I didn't measure that and it sure does look as if it may lower the car by itself. I didn't have to change the ride height when they were installed so I would have to say not
Old 11-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thats the picture that got me thinking.. theres lots of talk about the RS relocation of the tie rod, but not other positioning (ride height, track, etc).

Furthermore, I wish there was a better shot comparing the 964 wheel carrier and the RS..
this is a 993RS(aluminum, bottom) and 964(iron, top) upright

the 993 and 993RS uprights are interchangeable and don't change anything else

the 964 and 993 are not exactly interchangeable
when using a 993 upright on a 964 the differences that need to be accommodated are
1) strut mount thickness -993 uprights are slightly thicker at the strut mounting boss area, some guys have had to change to 993 struts others have gotten by w/o changing I suspect but don't know for sure that this is related to the strut manufactureres design

2) strut mounting bolts -964 uses 2x 12mm bolts, 993 and 964t use 1x12mm and 1x14mm. Most guys drill the lower bolt hole bigger and use tthe 993 14mm bolt

3) 964 and 993 rotors have slightly different o/s, you will want to use 993 rotors w/ 993 uprights, the radial mount calipers are also different, it's best to use 993 calipers too.

4) tie rods are different, you have to use the 993RS outer tierod the inner will depend on the steering rack ends, some 964 guys appear to have been luckier than others here, I'm not sure what the issue was for the others but it has been an issue on some but apparently not all the swaps
Old 11-26-2010, 03:41 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Thanks again Bill..

The visual difference in bearing race-lower mount length from standard 993 to RS should result in something. When you installed yours, was it a direct swap with no other adjustments? If I popped them on my 993, would the car sit in an identical position? Guess it sort of matters where the strut mounts relative to the bearing, regardless where the ball joint sits.

argh. this is critical stuff for the 964 project. I'll just have to forge ahead and test it analog..
Old 11-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

The visual difference in bearing race-lower mount length from standard 993 to RS should result in something. When you installed yours, was it a direct swap with no other adjustments? If I popped them on my 993, would the car sit in an identical position? ....
yes, The car was realigned but that was all, corner balance was checked but not adjusted at all at that time,

yes
Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 PM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WARNING

when you fit the RS tie rods they have a shorter or more stubby steering arm as clearly seen in the first picture (the protrusion that the tie rod attaches to)

this means that for a given movement of the steering wheel, the resultant turning movement will be greater

so this means that when you fit RS uprights the rack will get quicker

and that is why the 993RS uses a 964 rack which is slower than a stock 993 rack, hence cancelling the effect of the shorter steering arms

that said, I use the RS uprights and the standard rack which results in quite a precise and sensitive helm

I can imagine it being a little too fine and sensitive for some folk though. I have on occasion toyed with the idea of fitting the 964 rack to make the car slightly less demanding of very accurate steering inputs.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 PM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No IMO.

The hub placement relative to where the damper body attaches for both uprights is the SAME. This is what determines where the wheel sits relative to the rest of the car. The lower front A arm just then swings up into place and meets the ball joint attachment point wherever it happens to be. The A arm allows for controlled restricted movement of the wheel mainly in one plane, it does not dictate ride height.

And that attachment point on the RS upright is closer to the hub/spindle so that at a lower RS ride the A arm is more parallel/horizontal with the ground giving correct geometry. (same goes for the tie rod obviously).
Old 12-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jackal2513
WARNING

when you fit the RS tie rods they have a shorter or more stubby steering arm as clearly seen in the first picture (the protrusion that the tie rod attaches to)

this means that for a given movement of the steering wheel, the resultant turning movement will be greater

so this means that when you fit RS uprights the rack will get quicker

and that is why the 993RS uses a 964 rack which is slower than a stock 993 rack, hence cancelling the effect of the shorter steering arms

that said, I use the RS uprights and the standard rack which results in quite a precise and sensitive helm

I can imagine it being a little too fine and sensitive for some folk though. I have on occasion toyed with the idea of fitting the 964 rack to make the car slightly less demanding of very accurate steering inputs.
ummm, not really, the lhd 993RS does use the 964 lhd power steering rack, he 993RS has stops that limit the total turns as compared to 964
turns, lock to lock
964 18.48 slowest
993RS 18.25
993 16.48 fastest

Quick Reply: RS Upright question...Do they change the 'spindle' height?