Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 993s in the cold

993/907 posted the following a few weeks back;
Originally Posted by 993/907
I bought my '95 new and drive it as a DD summer and winter here in Anchorage.
Short commute, 4 miles or so; oil does not get warm.
Garage at night, but sits in the cold during the day; sometimes minus 20F.
I start it several times a day when it gets that cold.
So far so good, 75k miles and no engine issues, knock wood.

Biggest problem I have is having the brakes freeze to the rotors after driving in snow.
The only cure I have found is to carry a rubber mallet and 8" steel rod from my toolbox...a couple of whacks on the rotor near the caliper will free the brakes.

Gordo
Well, after getting to play for a couple hours last night in some fresh snow I found my rotors locked up tight this AM.

I'd rather not whack them with a steel bar if I can avoid it, is there another way? Temps are around 20F, would just pouring some lukewarm water on the calipers do the trick?

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 PM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This only happened to my 993 when it was really, really cold out and enough snow on the road to pack the rims full of snow. Since mine was only a C2, my front wheels/brakes iced up. If you have a C4 I cant see this happening

I was lucky and that I only had one of them ice up but I had to drive 5 miles with one of my wheels locked solid to a snow free road that had enough grip to brake my wheel loose. It was 1am so I was not to creative at that time to think of other solutions

As for tips, I dont have any. Maybe carry a little propane torch that you could carry in the trunk. You could also use hot water then hop in the car and get driving
Old 11-23-2010, 09:09 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd substitute a wooden dowel or 2x2 for the steel rod....and wont' stick to your hand if it gets a little damp at those temps. Like herman maire says above, you can use the hot water, but have to get in and drive off before they re-freeze.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by herman maire
This only happened to my 993 when it was really, really cold out and enough snow on the road to pack the rims full of snow. Since mine was only a C2, my front wheels/brakes iced up. If you have a C4 I cant see this happening
Yup, I'm running the Cup-IIs and they were packed solid at the end of the drive. I cleared the snow out as best I could (still there this afternoon, never got above 24F today,) and will see if that helps tomorrow.

Why would a C4 not have this issue?
I was lucky and that I only had one of them ice up but I had to drive 5 miles with one of my wheels locked solid to a snow free road that had enough grip to brake my wheel loose. It was 1am so I was not to creative at that time to think of other solutions

As for tips, I dont have any. Maybe carry a little propane torch that you could carry in the trunk. You could also use hot water then hop in the car and get driving
I think I will try the water first and if that doesn't do it I have a fiberglass hammer with a rubber handle, I will use that instead of the steel bar and tap it with a mallet.

Thanks for your reply, and thanks to Gordo for posting his note in the first place. I was only confused for a few seconds upon finding my car in this condition, immediately thought of his posts on the topic.

Originally Posted by kjr914
I'd substitute a wooden dowel or 2x2 for the steel rod....and wont' stick to your hand if it gets a little damp at those temps. Like herman maire says above, you can use the hot water, but have to get in and drive off before they re-freeze.
Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Spidey 993

What about the De-Icer product spray? It works great on my door locks on the winter here in CO when its really cold. Seems to de-ice and lubricate all in one...It's a thought
Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 PM
junior4
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try water mixed with rubbing alcohol and vinegar - about 1 cup each in a squirt bottle. Works great on windshields as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Originally Posted by tjeff993
What about the De-Icer product spray? It works great on my door locks on the winter here in CO when its really cold. Seems to de-ice and lubricate all in one...It's a thought
That may work well for door locks but you probably don't want to "lubricate" your brakes......
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryguy993
That may work well for door locks but you probably don't want to "lubricate" your brakes......
Do what I do, keep it in the garage!! Hey Ryan, sorry we didn't get to meet up this year I was crazy busy. Are you driving your car this winter or storing?

And I heard using windshield washer fluid was an option to de-ice the brakes. Its pretty much diluted alcohol anyways.

Last edited by cpdjfd107; 11-23-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Strange. I drove my first C2 for at least 4 winters in Boston and never had this happen. Had Cup 2s on it as well. Many have seen this picture of it before:

Old 11-23-2010, 10:12 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
Do what I do, keep it in the garage!! Hey Ryan, sorry we didn't get to meet up this year I was crazy busy. Are you driving your car this winter or storing?

And I heard using windshield washer fluid was an option to de-ice the brakes. Its pretty much diluted alcohol anyways.
Hey Chris,
I am definetely storing the car for the winter. I have a heated garage so it will be toasty warm for the majority of the winter months. I do have to take it i=to my mechanic soon for the 60K service, oh and maybe I will just order the Stage III fister exhaust while its in the shop.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Heat gun, windshield washer fluid could work.

Minus 25f here today, not driving the 993, however have never had an issues with any car regarding the calipers/rotors freezing.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Spidey 993

Originally Posted by ryguy993
Yep, see there, it's confirmed..I should never work on a car let alone give advice to others on theirs. I will stick to driving them
Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 PM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by trophy
Heat gun, windshield washer fluid could work.

Minus 25f here today, not driving the 993, however have never had an issues with any car regarding the calipers/rotors freezing.
I feel for you brother! Although it was +10 and sunny here this afternoon - your weather is coming our way soon...
Old 11-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This may or may not be related, but it is worth mentioning.

If I wash my car and then garage her without a drive, I noticed my brakes tend to lock even in a hot Sydney summer, the rotors develop a film of rust even while washing it. It is enough to be unable to push the car but I can drive it. There is a small thud as the rotor breaks free but then all is well, of course there is no reduced tyre grip like there is in snow.

I thought I'd mention it as your brake rotor freeze may possibly be related to the same corrosion rather than the very low temps, especially seeing as they break free with an impact on the rotor.

Just a thought, may be worth considering.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by firesm
I feel for you brother! Although it was +10 and sunny here this afternoon - your weather is coming our way soon...
And you can have it Calgary was the Second coldest place on earth yesterday, second to Antarctica

Quick Reply: 993s in the cold