Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993s in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Jason, It got down to 14 degrees last night at the airport but it's supposed to start warming up today. Did you get your brakes unstuck? Spray on deicers work, or if you have a laundry sink within hose length with a threaded faucet, you could shoot some hot water at the calipers.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:54 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

Is it the rotor freezing up or the brake pads freezing to the rotors? If the latter, and you park outside, try using the clutch to slow to a stop without using your brakes. This is what many of us do after the cool down laps when leaving the track.
Perhaps this will keep the pads off the rotors just enough so they don't freeze to the rotors. This would be difficult driving into a garage but outside you could give it a try. If parking in a garage, perhaps use your parking brake to stop so the larger fronts stay off the rotors.

I'm not sure, just throwing out an idea that may or may not work. It would be an inexpensive test.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by junior4
Try water mixed with rubbing alcohol and vinegar - about 1 cup each in a squirt bottle. Works great on windshields as well.
I will try this. Do you use this on the calipers as you park at night? Or rather to deice the next morning, or?

Same question regarding the windshield, before, or after? Do you put that solution in the washer fluid reservoir too?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by nile13
Strange. I drove my first C2 for at least 4 winters in Boston and never had this happen. Had Cup 2s on it as well. Many have seen this picture of it before:
[snip]
Awesome shot Mike! Not sure why my car is doing it, maybe it's the really wet snow we have here, or <see below>

Originally Posted by trophy
Heat gun, windshield washer fluid could work.

Minus 25f here today, not driving the 993, however have never had an issues with any car regarding the calipers/rotors freezing.
Holy jeebus minus 25f. Can't even imagine that. Thanks for the tips.

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Yep, see there, it's confirmed..I should never work on a car let alone give advice to others on theirs. I will stick to driving them
Yes, you and me both.

Originally Posted by Aussie Alan 993
This may or may not be related, but it is worth mentioning.

If I wash my car and then garage her without a drive, I noticed my brakes tend to lock even in a hot Sydney summer, the rotors develop a film of rust even while washing it. It is enough to be unable to push the car but I can drive it. There is a small thud as the rotor breaks free but then all is well, of course there is no reduced tyre grip like there is in snow.

I thought I'd mention it as your brake rotor freeze may possibly be related to the same corrosion rather than the very low temps, especially seeing as they break free with an impact on the rotor.

Just a thought, may be worth considering.
Thank you. I have noticed a distinct thud after parking overnight before, where snow wasn't involved, but cold temps were. I will look into this.

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Jason, It got down to 14 degrees last night at the airport but it's supposed to start warming up today. Did you get your brakes unstuck? Spray on deicers work, or if you have a laundry sink within hose length with a threaded faucet, you could shoot some hot water at the calipers.
Yep, hit 12F here before I went to bed. That's the coldest I've seen it in the city in my two years here.

I tried the whack-the-rotor trick using a hammer and length of wood dowel, but that didn't seem to help. Maybe I just didn't hit them hard enough?

Anyway, then I tried a bucket of hot water. Took two buckets actually, but that did the trick. I think all four wheels were locked, as after the first bucket I could move the car a bit in gear, and it felt like only the fronts were still locked.

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Is it the rotor freezing up or the brake pads freezing to the rotors? If the latter, and you park outside, try using the clutch to slow to a stop without using your brakes. This is what many of us do after the cool down laps when leaving the track.
Perhaps this will keep the pads off the rotors just enough so they don't freeze to the rotors. This would be difficult driving into a garage but outside you could give it a try. If parking in a garage, perhaps use your parking brake to stop so the larger fronts stay off the rotors.

I'm not sure, just throwing out an idea that may or may not work. It would be an inexpensive test.
I'm not sure whether it's the rotor freezing or the pads on the rotor. I will try your suggestions next time.

Thanks ALL! Happy Thanksgiving.

Jason
Old 11-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You should have driven it more, so it got nice & hot, so ice would not form.
Or you just wait till Turkey day, when it's get to 40deg.

I also had some fun in the snow, finally saw my ABD light got on, it does in fact work. No ice on the brakes either.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:39 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aussie Alan 993
This may or may not be related, but it is worth mentioning.

If I wash my car and then garage her without a drive, I noticed my brakes tend to lock even in a hot Sydney summer, the rotors develop a film of rust even while washing it. It is enough to be unable to push the car but I can drive it. There is a small thud as the rotor breaks free but then all is well, of course there is no reduced tyre grip like there is in snow.

I thought I'd mention it as your brake rotor freeze may possibly be related to the same corrosion rather than the very low temps, especially seeing as they break free with an impact on the rotor.

Just a thought, may be worth considering.
Yes, mine has always done the same as yours, rotors will lock to the pads with a bit of rust after washing and sitting; all four brakes will unlock with a thud when letting the clutch out.
My C2 freezes only the front brakes after driving in snow in cold temps; it is definitely ice, not rust.
The rears may freeze also but they must be releasing when under power. The fronts will not release unless I can reach dry pavement.
Tapping with a rubber mallet and a long steel or wood dowel will easily release the frozen brakes.

Gordo
Old 11-29-2010, 02:05 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing the fronts may freeze more easily as the latent engine heat gives the rears a better chance to dry off before they cool.

Quick Reply: 993s in the cold