Arena993
Race Car

Bill

Sent you all contact information

Mike
Old 12-07-2010 | 10:52 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Been working steadily. Took advantage of the "warmer than we're going to have for a while" weather last w/e to get as many parts cleaned as possible. Mike (Arena993) had dropped by last Fri., said I was doing an acceptable job on the mechanical parts (nuts, bolts and engine parts) but my cleaning of the engine compartment area needed some work. He gave me some advice on products and technique and it made a big difference over the w/e. Thanks Mike !

The engine surround tins (and the exhaust cat) are back on (I even painted the side tins, they were scratched up).
On Sun. I installed the LFW/clutch/PP/Release bearing, not yet ready to attach the tranny though.
Plug wires came yesterday (thanks FDM) so those will be installed today hopefully.

Biggest issue I'm having right now is getting the remaining glue from the engine sound pad backing removed. All the products I've tried also remove the paint when I scrape it with a plastic putty knife. I'm NOT putting a sound pad back on, I'll leave it nekid.

Unfortunately, I won't get it back together in time for my FL road trip. A couple parts are in transit (most important are the Fister Stage II.5's coming from FDM). I was surprised how long it took for them to get from TN to CA, I expected them there 3 days earlier so unless the UPS truck catches the jet stream tail wind they won't get here until I'm already in FL. Maybe I'll at least have the engine/tranny under the car before I leave....

More pics later...
Old 12-07-2010 | 12:22 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Unfortunately, I won't get it back together in time for my FL road trip. A couple parts are in transit (most important are the Fister Stage II.5's coming from FDM). I was surprised how long it took for them to get from TN to CA, I expected them there 3 days earlier so unless the UPS truck catches the jet stream tail wind they won't get here until I'm already in FL. Maybe I'll at least have the engine/tranny under the car before I leave...
Bill,
Show some true grit and just do the drive w/o mufflers. I've started mine with mufflers removed for one reason or another and the sound is glorious. Deafening and earth-shattering, but glorious!

Andreas
Old 12-18-2010 | 07:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Catching up on the posts and photos.

Started reinstalling the engine after lunch today. I had xfered the engine/tranny from the dolly (very low) back to Emerald's ATV liift. This time I bolted the boards to the lift so they wouldn't slide and the engine would be more stable on it. That worked GREAT, didn't even need to use a jack for the transmission except to tilt it up when I needed to bolt the carrier to the underbody.

I had the ATV lift up almost as high as it would go and lowered the car down on the engine, most difficult issue was getting the starboard side half shaft down past the starter. Took a combination of keeping the engine rearward and then pushing it forward as I dropped the car over everything. NOT an easy task all by yourself! Took about 75 min. 'til I was able to put the motor mount nuts on (left it way low until I get everything connected) and the tranny carrier bolts started.

Second most difficult thing was getting the clutch slave cyl mounting nuts back on w/ the slave cyl., that piston doesn't want to compress and only being able to get one hand up there was a challenge. Maybe I should have reinstalled it before I lowered the car....

As of now many of the underside parts are reinstalled but I haven't started on the engine bay connections yet. I did get all the rubber "lip" positioned correctly around the engine tin, nothing's pinched. I'll get some more done tomorrow.

The Fister-D Stage II.5 mufflers came right after I got back from FL. It'll be a few days before I'm ready to install them though. After the engine is back fully installed I'll drop the heat exchangers and do the roto router job on the SAI passages. I put the new check valve in when I had the engine out.

BTW, the HIGH today was 35 deg., in the sun I was comfortable but as soon as the sun went down it got COLD, quick!
A few pics....

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2010 | 08:16 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

Looks like a great project. By chance did you have a helper getting the engine back in?
Old 12-18-2010 | 08:40 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by yumyum1667
Looks like a great project. By chance did you have a helper getting the engine back in?
Nope, doing this 100% on my own. I've had many people offer to help but I want to be able to say I did it myself. Yeah, I'm weird. Pics were even taken using the timer function w/ mini tripod on the hood of the Cayenne.
Old 12-18-2010 | 10:10 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Bill - nice job! I note in the picture an empty(?) box of Jack Daniels. Did that come into play in this involved piece of work?
Old 12-18-2010 | 11:23 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by porscheralph
Hey Bill - nice job! I note in the picture an empty(?) box of Jack Daniels. Did that come into play in this involved piece of work?
Hey Ralph! You need to buy another of Mike's cars and stop by for a visit! Don't need to wait for the next Tommy adventure for a get-together!

No JD, I'd probably try to put the engine in the M3 if I drank that stuff while doing this project.
Old 12-19-2010 | 12:26 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Bill,
Bravo! I'm envious of the project...

Andreas
Old 12-19-2010 | 04:00 AM
foudeS
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Bill,

Andreas

+1

Bravo !!!
Old 12-19-2010 | 08:31 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Nope, doing this 100% on my own. I've had many people offer to help but I want to be able to say I did it myself. Yeah, I'm weird. Pics were even taken using the timer function w/ mini tripod on the hood of the Cayenne.
It would be more believable if you weren't in a clean white outfit.

Emerald
Old 12-19-2010 | 09:35 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Bill,

Andreas
Hell, you're my idol with the tasks you've done on your car and for others.......plus your damn A/C'd garage (is it heated too??)!

Edit: Not to mention all the DIY instructions you've done over the years. My next project will be the refurbishing of the fog lamp assy. like you documented a few years ago. It'll be a long time before I catch up to your work.

Originally Posted by foudeS
+1

Bravo !!!
Je vous remercie!

Originally Posted by e3photo
It would be more believable if you weren't in a clean white outfit.

Emerald

Got news for you E-man, that outfit hasn't been white since I started this project. I like being able to see where the grease is, that way if I need a little dab for something I can find it!

Those duds will go in the trash after this is done (wife's been trying to get me to trash the sweatshirt for over 2 yrs.).

The ATV jack has worked great esp. since I bolted the boards on her. I'll leave it that way when I bring it back to you in case you want to try it. Anytime you need it back let me know, everything I have left to do can be done w/ my reg. jack.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-19-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2010 | 10:28 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Looking great Bill. I'm feeling inspired to get back on my project. Maybe my schedule will work out and I can ride over with Mike and check it out.

Emerald
Old 12-19-2010 | 10:49 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Man that looks like fun. I wish I had the space.......
Old 12-19-2010 | 11:27 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Hell, you're my idol with the tasks you've done on your car and for others.......plus your damn A/C'd garage (is it heated too??)!
Indeed.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Engine dropped, projects to be done