Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good Bill!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

I would love to do this someday! Have mine up on stands now to do the brake fluid and noticed the trans cover is wet....hmmmmm.......
Old 11-24-2010, 01:26 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Cool project, Bill! Can't believe you've done all that since Palooza. Just my $0.02 but I'd go with the Stage IIIs. Don't know if you got to hear them last week but Lreeves has them on his and they sound incredible.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bill,
It looks like you are having fun. It's good you're taking care of a lot of the "While you're in there" stuff. The reward will be when you have everything back in, you turn the key, and the engine settles into a nice idle. Keep the posts and pictures coming.
John
Old 11-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Cool project, Bill! Can't believe you've done all that since Palooza. Just my $0.02 but I'd go with the Stage IIIs. Don't know if you got to hear them last week but Lreeves has them on his and they sound incredible.
Brian, this will be a Stage II Plus as my mufflers are the Motorsound vers. to start with. I think I'll be happy w/ them. These should be Stage II.5 I guess......
I wonder when they'll devise a vers. that will make my 993 sound like a CGT???

We have the wife's family here for Thanksgiving so the 993 work is on hiatus. The first set arrived less than an hour after the engine/tranny were rolled out from under the car. In fact I was just getting out of the shower when they arrived. I'll start tearing into it on Fri. or Sat. Too bad the niece's new little boy won't be coming, I would have loved getting pics of him with wrenches working on the engine. His father would have loved it, his mother, not so much.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 11-24-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job so far. I have a couple questions:

What kind of lift is that? Looks to give you decent height without the need for anchor holes in the garage floor.

What is the engine sitting on now that it's out?

I have 55K on my 993 and it will need the 60K service in the not too distant future and the clutch has not been done either. I was planning on taking it to the shop for the work, but this is inspirational.

Have fun with the maintenance.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:17 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good Bill. Could you tell anything about the condition of the engine mounts? Are you planning on replacing them?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:51 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to do this some day, but the fear factor runs deep.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:57 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good going Bill... have fun!
Old 11-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by sbarracl
Great job so far. I have a couple questions:

What kind of lift is that? Looks to give you decent height without the need for anchor holes in the garage floor.

What is the engine sitting on now that it's out?

I have 55K on my 993 and it will need the 60K service in the not too distant future and the clutch has not been done either. I was planning on taking it to the shop for the work, but this is inspirational.

Have fun with the maintenance.
1) Bend-Pak 48" Scissor lift. No holes in the floor.
It works well but since I bought that lift a new style (and much more portable) has come out from another mfgr. There was a thread on it in the past couple of days. I would trade for that lift in a heartbeat.
2) engine is sitting on Emerald's Craftsman ATV lift. It's working well but I put the cross boards in a poor position so the lift won't drop all the way right now w/out shifting the boards. A neighbor has a engine hoist (cherry picker) that I will borrow to get the engine on the floor and get the trans. separated.
3) My car had a bad flywheel when I got it, I knew I would need to replace it but intended to install a LWF and clutch kit, that's what I'm doing now (along with a few other things).

Originally Posted by vincer77
Looks good Bill. Could you tell anything about the condition of the engine mounts? Are you planning on replacing them?
Haven't checked the mounts yet. Will do soon though.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

After the family left I was finally able to spend some time on this project.

I want to thank NSulley and Andreas for the info and pics in this thread:
Sulley's tranny drop thread

Got the tranny off and spent a good bit of time cleaning the cosmoline (sp?) off. Still have some more cleaning to do though.

I'll take some photos of the clutch parts as I take them off and put the new ones on, for future reference.

Another good thread for good clutch info (Mike's):
Mike's engine rebuild thread

Last edited by Slow Guy; 11-27-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:14 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 437 Posts

I know what you need to do Bill. Take some pics of the entire car after it's all back together. Looks great with the MY02s.

Great job!
Old 11-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Default Clutch and LWF R&R

For documentation of how the stock clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) are removed and RS clutch and Light Weight Flywheel (LWF) are installed.

pic 1) Stock setup just after the tranny has been removed (I try to replace nuts/bolts when I remove them, helps me remember which one goes where and minimizes possibility I'll lose them). The starting point.

pic 2) Orig pressure plate now off

pic 3) Orig clutch plate, it would fall off if I removed the ratchet ext., it's only up there for the photo. Plenty of life left in the clutch plate but it was the DMF (bad) that has me doing this project.

pic 4) Most of the flywheel bolts are out. It took a little prying but after all the bolts were out the flywheel came off fairly easily. Still lots of clutch dust inside the housing.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
I know what you need to do Bill. Take some pics of the entire car after it's all back together. Looks great with the MY02s.

Great job!
I took a couple pics of the car before I started this project so I would know how it should look when I get it all back together...

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:00 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 437 Posts

^^^^^^Two pictures? Don't hold out Bill.

Quick Reply: Engine dropped, projects to be done