Sponsored by:

MO33 vs MO30 Coilovers and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Monroes don't last, though.

About four years ago, we had this discussion here, and virtually everyone concluded the HD's were plenty comfy. I put ROW M030/HD's on mine and it doesn't feel harsh at all. And this from a guy whose seats (car and pants) have little padding in them!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought my PSS10s w/17" tires were quite civil. Even with the new 18s it is far from harsh and the roads around here are not great.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I'm hearing, sounds like M033 springs with the Monroes would be the way to get the best stance/look but with the softest ride.

I went with M030/Bilstein HDs. I am pretty happy with my setup, its firm for sure but not "harsh" (totally subjective, I know). I do remember dismissing the Monroes when picking my suspension based on word that they didn't last long.

You should ride in my cab and see what you think for yourself.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:28 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP: Here in Philly, we have more potholes than pretzels. I have the HDs and 030s and while the car responds well in more spirited driving, my bride always comments that it doesn't ride like an expensive car...more like my Pinto (back in the day). My setup is only a bit more than a year old and I'm trying to use her discomfort to justify changing my springs. Unfortunately, from what you guys say, the 033s aren't going to cut it on these roads either. Oh bother!!! Good luck with your choice!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:40 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
OP: Here in Philly, we have more potholes than pretzels. I have the HDs and 030s and while the car responds well in more spirited driving, my bride always comments that it doesn't ride like an expensive car...more like my Pinto (back in the day). My setup is only a bit more than a year old and I'm trying to use her discomfort to justify changing my springs. Unfortunately, from what you guys say, the 033s aren't going to cut it on these roads either. Oh bother!!! Good luck with your choice!
I don't know that the 033s wouldn't work, probably depends on the shock you put with them. Right now I'd be very interested to hear how the 033s worked with the Konis people have been talking about.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
I don't know that the 033s wouldn't work, probably depends on the shock you put with them. Right now I'd be very interested to hear how the 033s worked with the Konis people have been talking about.
Agreed, after reading plenty of stuff, it looks like the FSD's are probably the ticket. I dont think that anyone complains about stiffness when they are driving the twisties, but day to day driving potholes, ridges etc. So if the FSD's work as advertised it would be a good compromise. Its certainly on my shopping list for the cabrio as my H&R coilovers are too stiff for my current taste. Anyone want to buy a set of H&R coilovers?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 AM
pchansen1
Advanced

Still deciding as well. I thought the whole purpose of the PSS10's was adjustability. Crank'em down and be ready for the track. Back them off to their softest setting and drive the wife to beach and still enjoy crisp handling and a happy wife. Am I wrong? Also, the Monroe's don't seem to last very long where as the Bilstein's have a life time warranty. Correct?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

I have the full M033 setup from Sunset and love it. After reading many posts on the topic, it seems that the reports of the Monroes only lasting 35-40,000 miles come from some of the pothole capitals of the country (Boston, Philadelphia, etc.). In other reports people have had Monroes still doing their job at 60, 70, even 100,000 miles. My own experience was that my original Monroes were still doing the job at 65,00. So I guess it depends on your roads.

Here's how I ended up looking at it. Even with the worst outcome (shot in 35,000 miles) for my 5,000 miles a year, I'd have to replace them in 7 years. For $900+ from Sunset and the fantastic feel of this combo it made sense for me. Who knows what I'll want to do in 7 years?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have M033s with Koni FSDs, and am really happy with the combination. Very nice ride, and excellent cornering. Every time I take the car out, I like it better.

The car looks good, too.

My Monroes had 49,000 miles on them when I did the conversion.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 PM
GaryB
Instructor

I have Koni FSD with ROW 029 springs (stock ROW springs). I really, really like the shocks, and find myself
looking for rough roads to drive on to enjoy the improvement over my stock US Monroe setup. My car had 51.000 when I made the change. It lowered the car only about 3/8", I had hoped for about 3/4". The Koni's do come with a lifetime guarantee for the original purchaser.

Gary
Old 11-17-2010, 02:14 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
hey Craig...

Of course, this is one of those things that has a lot to do with personal preference and where you drive.
Amen

Originally Posted by 95_993
What other options are you considering?
Currently have P10's, not happy with level of compliance when set to "soft"

Originally Posted by MarkD
See Craig?
It really is a matter of personal taste and local roads.
Your best bet is to get a ride in one or both...
amen^2

Originally Posted by cp993C2S

Sunset sells the complete set for $993.
Yup, that's what made me start this thread

Originally Posted by johzev
I have the M033 and monroes on my car from Sunset. I definitely would not consider the Bilstein's if you are trying to maintain a somewhat compliant ride.
thanks, but see below

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
From what I'm hearing, sounds like M033 springs with the Monroes would be the way to get the best stance/look but with the softest ride.

You should ride in my cab and see what you think for yourself.
thanks for the offer Brian, i will.

Originally Posted by pchansen1
Still deciding as well. I thought the whole purpose of the PSS10's was adjustability. Crank'em down and be ready for the track. Back them off to their softest setting and drive the wife to beach and still enjoy crisp handling and a happy wife. Am I wrong? Also, the Monroe's don't seem to last very long where as the Bilstein's have a life time warranty. Correct?
Actually, for me the whole purpose of the PSS10's was adjustability to balance the front vs rear of the car when doing AX / DE. i wanted to be able to alter over / under steer characteristics.
they worked for that purpose quite well, but when driving around in "cruiser mode", the compliance sucked IMO. Too much compression damping for my tastes.

I just bought a set of the MO33s, (perhaps the last ones in stock), from Sunset.

I'll keep the RS ARB's for now to tune front vs rear balance and see if it's the P10's or the thicker ARBs that are the primary contributor to lousy ride quality.

i'll keep the group updated on my experiences.

Sorry, but the P10's are already promised to a local guy currently suffering with worn out P9's.

cheers

Craig

Last edited by cgfen; 11-17-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:40 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by skywachr
I have the full M033 setup from Sunset and love it. After reading many posts on the topic, it seems that the reports of the Monroes only lasting 35-40,000 miles come from some of the pothole capitals of the country (Boston, Philadelphia, etc.). In other reports people have had Monroes still doing their job at 60, 70, even 100,000 miles. My own experience was that my original Monroes were still doing the job at 65,00. So I guess it depends on your roads.

Here's how I ended up looking at it. Even with the worst outcome (shot in 35,000 miles) for my 5,000 miles a year, I'd have to replace them in 7 years. For $900+ from Sunset and the fantastic feel of this combo it made sense for me. Who knows what I'll want to do in 7 years?
+1 This is my situation also. I do maybe 3k miles per year so it will be many years before I hit 30-40k miles on these things. Recently did a back roads trip to Mendocino and had an absolute blast with the car as it sits, good ride and planted through turns. If I thought the FSDs would give better handling and maintain the supple ride I'd think about changing but otherwise I think this set-up is a very good compromise both in value and ride/handling.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...it will be many years before I hit 30-40k miles on these things...1pcarnut
That thought had crossed my mind as well, while I was deciding on my suspension.

But I ended up making a right brain decision...
Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 PM
sojglenn
Rennlist Member

I had M030's + HD's put on this past summer and I find the ride very comfortable in all conditions. I can't believe anyone would see the ride as "harsh" with this setup. I think it is actually more compliant than it was with my original non-sport springs + worn shocks. My wife actually thinks the ride is more comfortable and is happy that I replaced the worn shocks.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:17 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Currently have P10's, not happy with level of compliance when set to "soft"
Some might say that's a sign of the driver getting, ahem...., "soft".

Originally Posted by cgfen
Originally Posted by cp993C2S
Sunset sells the complete set for $993.
I just bought a set of the MO33s....
Sorry, but the P10's are already promised to a local guy currently suffering with worn out P9's.
Well, I know who's paying for those $993 MO33s.....

Quick Reply: MO33 vs MO30 Coilovers and Springs