Sponsored by:

New Speakers, Need amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Speakers, Need amp

Just ordered complete set of premium sound speakers from Sunset as the original ones were desintegrated. At one point I installed a set of Infinity in the rear but I want to keep the sound system original asside from the plug and play Blaupunkt Toronto head unit. Which in any case it's plug and play so there's no wire cutting and I can always revert back to the original radio with no problem. Here is the price breakdown:

Rear $113 x 2
Front Twitter: $38.49 x 2
Front Large: $38.72 x 2
Front Small $20.72 x 2

Now searching for a plug and play amp upgrade. If anyone has any suggestion please let us know.

Thanks,
Tito
Old 11-11-2010, 07:07 PM
junior4
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tito - are you saying the Blaupunkt head unit is inter-changable with the original porsche head unit?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:12 PM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

my blaupunkt head unit was p&p too (m490)...
Old 11-11-2010, 07:57 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Tito - are you saying the Blaupunkt head unit is inter-changable with the original porsche head unit?
Correct, just unplug the factory radio and plug in the Blaupunkt Toronto. You do loose the fatory multi cd player but the new radio has one built into the unit if you still need CD capability.

I spoke to crutchfield rep and they said I'd probably blow out the fatory speakers if I upgrade the amp. The other alternative is to wire the radio directly to the speakers but again I don't want to do any re-wiring. I'll see how it sounds when I install the new speakers and take it from there. Car is away for the winter now so working on some small projects.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:58 PM
junior4
Track Day

gotcha - thanks. Junior
Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 PM
dmwallace
Rennlist Member

pcarrera993:

Curious - you are replacing speakers (and perhaps the amp) for the hi-fi sound option (490)? Perhaps someone other than Crutchfield might have a plug and play amp - maybe SW Stereo or Car Audio Innovations (both mentioned previously in this forum). I replaced my original radio last year with a CDR-220 from SW Stereo and need to do speakers and the amp in the near future as well. Good luck on the rest of the project!

Regards,
David
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

David, my car came with hi-fi option (490) from factory. I'm replacing all 6 speakers with OEM ones which are still available from Porsche. I recently tried a set of Infinity in the rear but not much was gained. I wanted to possibly replace the existing amp and plug in a new one to see if that improved boost.

Another option and again this is all in theory: the Toronto headunit comes with a built-in amp which is possibly better than the original one. I could theoretically bypass the stock amp by jumping the connectors at the unit and use the built-in amp from the radio. I'm pretty sure it will work. The question is how much will be gained if any.

I did search other options including ones available from Car Audio Innovations, which btw Rod is a master at his craft. I'll call those guys up if I decide to go the amp replacement route. Thanks for the heads up on SW Stereo!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 AM
tracke30m3
Instructor

Did you mean the foam edges of your speakers disintegrated?

I was able to replace the foam edges of all my speakers for about $50, pretty easy DIY.

I disagree with Crutchfield, using an external power amp to power your stock speakers shouldn't be a problem unless you turn it up too loud. A setup like that should be fine for normal listening levels, though I haven't done it for the 993 I've gone that route for several other cars. Huge difference in sound quality in most cases.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I would be careful with switching the amp as the orig. speakers use 12 ohm resistance. Most new car audio speakers use 4 ohm. Your old Nokia amp will burn up in no time.
I haven't tested it myself but it doesn't look good, mathematically.
Ed

Quick Reply: New Speakers, Need amp