Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Factory Tour

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Did both the Leipzig factory tour and Porsche Experience on in a 911T (40-min on track, had it all to myself with instructor riding shot gun) and in a Cayenne (off road in old Eastern Germany tank training grounds next to factory) Oct 2010. The track was a hoot, especially the mini corkscrew, but not really great value for the money when compared to Ring rentals.

Included a nice lunch in the visitors center with a view of the track. Entertained while we ate by a gaggle of far east nouveau riche owners taking their new P-car deliverys out on the track in a lead follow format (when it started to rain). More then a few offs (and back ons in the wet grass), interesting lines / apexs (not) and a few stragglers that needed "running down" when they didn't bother to pit in with the lead follow group.

That instructor earned his paycheck that day.

Their added antics in the gift shop afterwards also crossed over the line into rude (ugly tourist behavior). I felt sorry for the ladies in the gift shop having to deal with those clowns with more money then class, sense, or taste.

The Leipzig factory tour is very nice and technologically impressive, but given the P-car subject matter (Panamera and Cayenne) and the newest of the facility, lacked the "heritage" feeling of the Stuttgart tour / factory.

If you are in the area, a worthwhile side trip, but if traveling just for it, I am not sure I would go there just for the factory tour compared to a trip to Stuttgart. I guess I'm old school.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:28 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

We also got to tour the factory during the 993 years! Watched a 993 build from start to finish.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Got my reservation confirmed for a 19 July Porsche factory tour. Plan on getting there early and taking in the museum before the tour which starts at 10am. After the tour, I plan on heading over to the MB museum. Should be a good German car filled day.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Allow more time for the Porsche museum. I'd give the factory and the museum a full day, with a lunch break in the middle. There's a good restaurant and coffee shop at the museum.

The Mercedes museum is about three times the size of the Porsche. It's worth about three hours. If you try to do all three in one day, you'll miss a lot.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Randall921
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am so glad I saw this thread...

Going to the Belgian Grand Prix, the Ring and Stuttgart this summer. I did not realize an appointment was necessary to visit the factory. I called PCA yesterday and was provided with the contact info (Werksfuehrungen <werksfuehrungen@porsche.de>) and I'm all set for a tour 9/6...

Can't wait.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Until the end of 2012, all Porsche club members get into the museum for free. Normally you get a discount, but because they are celebrating the 60th anniversary of the first Porsche club formed, they are offering this bonus. Check out the garage directly under the museum. The first level. I think the museum uses this level to store some extra cars. We spent 30 minutes just on that level looking at the cars.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Weissach is not that far away from the factory and a nice drive. You won't be able to get in but it is fun to be near the place and you can get a few peeks here and there.

The time I last went was in 1993 I saw 993 prototypes on the road. Who knows what you might see now, next generation GT3?

Weissach itself is a pleasant little town.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The factory tour and museum can definity fill a full day. Make sure everyone is wearing closed toe shoes.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're heading to Germany in April to see family. Im still confused as how to get a factory tour. Do they also allow kids in the factory, I'd heard they do in one but not the other.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No idea about kids but I had to go through my dealer to book it. Do so well in advance.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 AM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes through the dealer, do it in advance, months in advance. MBZ museum is nearby, nice museum, nice F1 simulators there too... Have fun!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:38 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Weissach is not that far away from the factory and a nice drive. You won't be able to get in but it is fun to be near the place and you can get a few peeks here and there.

The time I last went was in 1993 I saw 993 prototypes on the road. Who knows what you might see now, next generation GT3?

Weissach itself is a pleasant little town.
My friend that works there could not even get us in. I never visited the town, but may one day.

Quick Reply: Porsche Factory Tour