Can anyone paint Artic Silver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can anyone paint Artic Silver?

My car is Artic Silver. I had my bumper resprayed by "supposedly" one of the best shops in Massachusetts. It's close but not perfect. I have been to a couple non-porsche shops and everyone has told me that Artic Silver is tough to match because the metal flake lays differently on the plastic bumper as it does on the metal hood and fenders. Has anyone here ever had success with Artic Silver?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Arctic Silver here, front bumper perfectly matched!! Mark Israel at EuroTech in Kirkland, Washington did the work of undoing a slight mishap by the original owner.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fwiw, I had my bumper resprayed with Polar Silver (bumperette delete.) No problem. Used one of the best places in the US: http://www.aviocoachcraft.com/

But there's always going to be a slight bit of a difference between plastic and metal. Even with the OEM paint. My AMG, which has never been resprayed is slightly different even from the factory.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't know, but if you find a place that can do it right in Eastern MA or Southern NH please post the results. I would like to respray mine and fill in the bumperettes, and I have the same concerns as you.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I've had lots of parts resprayed polar silver, as hard if not more difficult to match than arctic silver, and the match has been pretty darn close or spot-on. You need to find a better/different shop.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Harlan, that looks great - lucky you. Jason, I am seaching but all the well known shops around here have lost their edge.

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I've had lots of parts resprayed polar silver, as hard if not more difficult to match than arctic silver, and the match has been pretty darn close or spot-on. You need to find a better/different shop.
The problem I have had is listening to the hype of the "top" shops in the Boston area, who cannot deliver.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+1. A good painter will spray test cards altering the gun settings to get the right color/shade. They can also blend to hide slight differences. This takes some talent and extra time. The good news is that you have the mfg's color code. I tried to color match some TT wheels and had to go on a bit of a crusade to color match them with a base/clear product.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I forgot to mention that I used a mobile repair guy to fix some scrapes on my Miata's rocker panel. The titanium gray on my Mazda is another difficult color, and the guy, who has over 25 years painting cars, got his paint to match perfectly. Oh, and he did this under my deck, too, all at a cost of $125.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Dave, I'll recommend Final Finish in Natick (no affiliation). Who did your work?

In my experience in color science I found whites to be most difficult to match, closely followed by faded reds. Silver should not be a problem, even silver with metal flake. Although the comment on metal vs plastic is very true. Not quite for the reason that shop gave, but because the base reflects differently.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Mike. You have a PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I saw it, Dave. Hard to tell, I've heard that shop name but am not familiar with them.

The thing I've found is that painting is a bit of an art. More than a bit, actually. So finding the right shop is half an issue. If it's a large shop, you never know who's actually going to do the painting. That's why I'm really skeptical of any body shops, period. Than again, there isn't much of a choice. Lately I simply go with people who I can deal with if the problems come up.

Quick Reply: Can anyone paint Artic Silver?