Wow....sounds painful!

GL and a speedy recovery!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Andreas, hang on! I've had two of these suckers in my kidneys... it's excruciating. Are they going to do lithotripsy? If so, make sure you are not allergic to epidural. The procedure itself is not bad, the next day or so is not fun. But it's nothing compared to the pain of the actual stone.

Feel better soon! Best wishes go out to you.
Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Ah, good times. I've had a few kidney stones. My heart goes out to you, Andreas.
Although they usually are nothing more than a pain, boy are they painful. Sometimes they can break up bigger stones with ultrasound, and no surgery. Then it just feels like you're gonna pee something the size of one of your fine clocks out through your....well, you know the score.
Probably the most painful thing I've ever felt, and I've been dating crazy actresses in L.A. for 20 years.
Good luck, old man.
Originally Posted by tjeff993
Get well soon, sorry to hear this!
Originally Posted by porscheralph
AOW - sorry to hear about your situation!!! Get better and expect a delivery of your favorite libation in the next few weeks!!!
Originally Posted by jhummel68
Andreas,
Sorry to hear about that. I'm sure everything will come out fine in the end. Prescription and recreational drugs will be your friend for a little while.
Originally Posted by 993Porsche
Wow! Sorry to hear that brother. We wish you the very best and a speedy recovery. We need you back and in top form. Who else can keep Cactus in check? Keep us posted when you can.
Originally Posted by Viggo
Andreas, I feel your pain. I've heard that kindey stones are amongst the most painful of diseases. Feel better my friend, and hang in there!
Originally Posted by JPP
Sorry to hear this, Andreas. I had a very similar experience two years ago without another occurrence (knock on calcium) and I was fortunate enough to be able to pass the little ninja deathstar after only one day ...., but I have to say, ER's have the BEST drugs of all .... They tell me I was quite the comic during the CATSCAN in my little backless cocktail dress ...
I hope you suffered a little less 'exposure' and are on the mend ..
Originally Posted by Cactus
I am actually heading down there next Friday so we will drink that stone right out!
Originally Posted by NeufCentOnze
Isn't there a correlation between what you usually drink and the occurence of kidney stones?
Anyway, get well soon Andreas.
Actually, there is a correlation. Coke/Pepsi contribute to stones according to my urologist. But generally, the more you drink (of anything) the less chance there is of stones.
Originally Posted by 993BillW
Wow. Never had one but I hope you recover quickly.
Sending positive thoughts (about your pain medications, not about your ureter....).
Originally Posted by BSL
Wishing you a speedy recovery Andreas!
Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Wow....sounds painful!
GL and a speedy recovery!
Thanks for all of the kind words. What should have gone a bit smoother, did not. I've been totally under the weather since leaving the hospital on Saturday afternoon. Complete & utter lethargy. It looks like I may have an infection of sorts...

Regardless, I've got an early-morning appointment with my urologist tomorrow, and should know more after that. One way or the other, I still need to get this stone out.

Andreas
Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine was about 8-10mm.
They knocked me out and broke up the stone with a laser, then removed the larger pieces, installed a stent and sent me home that night.

Of course, the fun part was when they removed the stent, which is about a 12" piece of garden hose. I was awake with a nurse holding both my shoulders down against the table...needless to say, that sucked.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Andreas! What terrible news! (I have had three of those over the decades). My Rx is to take an opiate-based analgesic followed by a LOT of water--hydrate like crazy. THEN go to the ER. (If you take a painkiller before you arrive you won't have to endure the pain until they Dx the problem.) Get well!!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Lewis, they broke it up by laser? Interesting. Can you give details? I'd like to know what alternatives are out there.

Andreas, drink as much as you can. Anything at all, but you need to do that.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Andreas, sorry to hear about this. Hope you get better soon!!

Can't wait to see what piece of art you will make out of the stone they remove.

I'll all pass soon enough. Hang in there!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 PM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear. Best wishes for speedy recovery. (I'll pass on that clock ^^)
Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. It's a miserable experience. The first time I had one, I had no idea what was wrong. Couldn't believe the pain. Hang in there. Infections sometimes follow. Take care and best wishes.
chuck
Old 11-10-2010, 01:13 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry you are dealing with this, hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lewis, they broke it up by laser? Interesting. Can you give details? I'd like to know what alternatives are out there..
1. general anesthesia, day surgery procedures.
2. insert laser (with cystoscope) up into kidney (the path taken is why #1 above is needed)
3. find boulder. heat with pulsed laser until fractured.
4. remove larger pieces via cystoscope; repeating as necessary
5. insert 12" of garden hose from kidney down into to bladder (aka the stent).
6. wake patient up
7. when patient passes urine (mainly blood), it is OK to send them home

Wait a week or so, return to doctor's office to have nurse hold you down on the table, insert cystoscope, grab end of stent, take a deep breath, pull..followed by passing out at the visual which will haunt you forever....it's like a bad magician's trick when he keeps pulling hankerchiefs out of his top hat. I really wish I had been asleep for this part.

Return home, insert a 2x4 between your teeth when you attempt to urinate. Describing it as "inserting a burning match up into your urethra" is about right.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have missed it in another post...how can these be ordered? Price range? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get well soon my friend...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Andreas! What terrible news! (I have had three of those over the decades). My Rx is to take an opiate-based analgesic followed by a LOT of water--hydrate like crazy. THEN go to the ER. (If you take a painkiller before you arrive you won't have to endure the pain until they Dx the problem.) Get well!!
Dan,
Thank you. I may need a stash, as the pain was unbearable. Actually, it exceeded 'unbearable'.

Andreas, drink as much as you can. Anything at all, but you need to do that.
Am doing. Thank you!

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Hey Andreas, sorry to hear about this. Hope you get better soon!! Can't wait to see what piece of art you will make out of the stone they remove. I'll all pass soon enough. Hang in there!!!
I'll make a 'Calc-Clock'.

Originally Posted by paa502
Sorry to hear. Best wishes for speedy recovery. (I'll pass on that clock ^^)
Thank you!

Originally Posted by csertich
Sorry to hear about this. It's a miserable experience. The first time I had one, I had no idea what was wrong. Couldn't believe the pain. Hang in there. Infections sometimes follow. Take care and best wishes.
Thank you Chuck. I'll go out on a limb and propose that sawing off one's arm with a bread knife would cause less pain. (Disclaimer: I've never tried to saw off my arm with a bread knife.)

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Sorry you are dealing with this, hope you feel better soon.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by ltc
2. insert laser (with cystoscope) up into kidney (the path taken is why #1 above is needed)
6. wake patient up

Wait a week or so, return to doctor's office to have nurse hold you down on the table, insert cystoscope, grab end of stent, take a deep breath, pull..followed by passing out at the visual which will haunt you forever....it's like a bad magician's trick when he keeps pulling hankerchiefs out of his top hat. I really wish I had been asleep for this part.

Return home, insert a 2x4 between your teeth when you attempt to urinate. Describing it as "inserting a burning match up into your urethra" is about right.
I have this very procedure scheduled for tomorrow morning. As for stent removal, my doctor is well aware that he will put me under/sedate/etc. Having a nurse brazenly yank a catheter out after my last back surgery was enough!

Originally Posted by Rick
I may have missed it in another post...how can these be ordered? Price range? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.
Rick, I'll send a PM.

Originally Posted by ironimages
Get well soon my friend...
Thank you Mark. I need to be in top form for next August!

Andreas
Old 11-10-2010, 01:00 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
6. wake patient up

Ay, crramba! That was graphic.

Sounds interesting. But I think my lythotripsy was less painful and definitely sounds less invasive. Did they give you that as an option and how did you chose? Andreas, same question to you (although it might be too late with stent already in).

All of this, however, beats the old days when they would open the patient up to get to the stones (I have a family history of this).

Andreas, one suggestion - have them examine the pieces in the lab and tell you what the stone consisted of. Than listen to the urologist's recommendations. He might tell you to drink less Coke, eat less cheese and a few other things depending on what the stone consisted of.

Good luck! Those of us who'd gone through this feel your pain. The good thing is that once the surgery is done you'll feel much better in a few days and will be back to normal very quickly.

Quick Reply: Another Carrera Desk Clock delivered :)