Door feels like its dropping

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:54 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Door feels like its dropping

Guys
Anyone feel like their drivers door is dropping a little every time you open it ? Is it a know issue ? Any fixes ?
TIA
Regards
Ken
Old 10-15-2010, 02:29 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if this is the issue. One day as I opened my drivers door, it drooped about 2 inches. I looked and saw the upper pin (there are two hinges on the door) had fallen out. Perhaps your upper pin is almost all the way out and that's why it's drooping.

One caution, the upper pin is inserted upside down. Instead of gravity holding the pin in, gravity actually helps push the pin out. I learned this after picking up the pin and not finding a way to re-insert the pin in what would be the logical way (the top or flat part of the pin on the top). I then looked at the passenger door and noticed the top pin was, indeed, mounted upside down.

I then manually pushed the pin about half way back in - then used a screwdriver and hammer to pusy/guide the pin all the way back in.

In the past year or so, on about three occasions, I've noticed the pin has begun to work itself back out again. So I simply hammer it back in. There is no cotter pin or other mechanical device keeping the pin int he hinge.

I think the normal vibration of driving plus the constant opening/closing of the door eventually vibrates the pin slowly out.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The bushings in the hinges can wear out, especially if they are not lubricated regularly.

Open the door and hold it about half open. Stand at the open end of the door and try to lift it. If your hinges are worn, you will feel the slack in the hinges.

You can actually rebush the hinges, but its not easy. Getting access is the hardest part, since you will need to ream out the bushings to fit to the pins correctly. I did this in my 83SC, and have no plans to do this on my 993, even if the drivers door is showing a bit of wear. Very easy to scratch the paint.

You can try to adjust the latch on the body of the car to better align with the door, that might help the dropping. There is some adjustment, but if the hinges get so worn that the door drops quite a bit, the bottom of the door can now start to rub against the car sills, and the door seals may not work properly.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I had that a little and discovered that the hinge bolts had loosened slightly. Once tightened, all was good.

Quick Reply: Door feels like its dropping