Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Winter Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:34 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm tempted to put mine away, it was 93 today and expected to drop into the 80's later this weekend
Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911 provide an absolutely wonderful winter driving experience. Go for it!
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Silver993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've thought about driving my newly acquired 993 through a Chicago winter, but a couple of things worry me.

1. The salt...and they use a lot of it around here. The underside of my 99 GMC truck is covered in rust. I'd hate to do that to this 993. Do you winter drivers follow a car wash schedule? I never wash the truck.

2. This one is minor - are there any problems with the rear wing, if it is iced over in the closed position? I can imagine it trying to raise while frozen shut and the motor burning up.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver993
I've thought about driving my newly acquired 993 through a Chicago winter, but a couple of things worry me.

2. This one is minor - are there any problems with the rear wing, if it is iced over in the closed position? I can imagine it trying to raise while frozen shut and the motor burning up.
just keep it up.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:40 AM
syzygy
Instructor

I'm more worried about the loads of other folks that live in a city that gets winter for six months out of a year that still think all season tires are just fine, and their ability to steer their car around mine actually stopped at a red light.

I likely won't drive on the colder days, great heater or not, when the celcius and farenheit scales meet (-40 degrees).
Old 10-15-2010, 01:11 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by richardew
There is absolutely no effect on your 993 from salt. The metal is treated and painted and is impervious to salt. It's not a '65 Beetle. I drive my car all seasons in all weather except for deep snow. The only thing that salt and sand might do is cause some road rash. WTF. It's a car. Drive it. If you need something pretty to look at go on the internet and google it!
Ummmmm, I'm not sure about that. Even as well rust-proofed as late model p-cars are/were, salt will still manage to eat at whatever is exposed give enough time. Sure we don't have body panels rusting out at the rate of a pre-74 911, but there are a thousand other exposed components subject to accelerated corrosion.

Here in Pittsburgh, I work at a franchise import auto dealer's service department. I see late model luxury cars (just saw a e90 BMW 330xi with rust around the taillights today) nearly daily that are visibly rusting (like, can see it just sitting in traffic at body panel seams, etc). Western PA eats cars UP with salt, factory undercoating/galvanization be damned.

My 964 doesn't go into cold storage when winter comes, but i do take it down to virginia to drive on the weekends when I make it back down. Exponentially less snow, warmer temps, and no salt. It's a win-win. I expect to live another 50 years or so, and do expect my 964 to be rust-free till the day I give it all up in the mean time, I'll let my beater 325iX soak up all the rust.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Here in Vancouver, it RAINS in the winter, often for weeks. I garage the car, and it just is not any fun to use the car in those conditions. With the Targa, there are no drip rails, and so water can get on the seats when you open the doors. There is also sand and crap on the roads, which sandblast your car as you drive.

I have the choice between my truck and car, and if the weather is bad, my F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 with the Triton V10 is my more comfortable choice. I know I do not care what the weather throws at me, and that car is nice and dry at home.

I drive the car 10 months of the year.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-15-2010, 03:55 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I have driven in salt and snow every winter for over 20 years with all sorts of cars, mostly MBs, and BMWs, from the same era as my 964. None of them showed any acceleration of wear or rust issues, even after 200.000+ Kms. Common sense, some cleaning, no heated parking, and all was fine.
Are 911s made from another type of metal than the Beemers and Benzes??

The 911 even in 2WD guise is superior to any 2WD car, with the engine loading the driven wheels for increased traction. The 4WD is the perfect snow car unless there is a foot or more. Remenber the Monte Carlo wins?

I for one can't wait for the white stuff. The ski rack, heated seats and Nokians are ready.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:02 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine doesn't like getting wet.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

If it's raining, snowing or as soon as they start salting the roads over here in the UK, mine is staying safely tucked away. Usually they use a lot of salt on the roads here, so you can see tramlines on the surface where cars have driven.

Things were a little different last winter as we were struck by what was, to us anyway, a deep freeze. This caught out the gritting teams and we ended up with roads of sheet ice. As we know, neither salt nor ice is fun in a 993 on summer tires and as we rarely get months of freezing weather, it's not worth buying winter rubber. I span my previous 993 270 degrees exiting a corner at around 15mph in a light frost!

When the weather has stopped play, I'm tempted to run her to operating temperature in the garage once a week, but I'm not sure if this is advisable in terms of the health of the engine? I'd be running with A/C switched on and the rear of the car at the garage door.

When asphalt/tarmac is colder and summer tyres aren't really hot, is it normal to feel the car go light in fast sweeping corners (at 90mph plus)?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

well, my original intention was to use the car year round as a DD. I live in Central New York, so...lots of snow, roads covered in sand, salt, stone dust too. The preferred mix depends on county/town etc, seems people up here use about anything when the price of salt goes sky high.

My C4S will be in it's winter home this year-a small out building addition with a mid rise lift. Yes it will be heated, but only on the occasion I'm tinkering in there.

I did sell the second wheelset(stock solid twists)that the PO gave me with the car. In hind sight, I probably should have kept them and put another set of dedicated snows on them just for grins and giggles.

One of my previous DD was an Audi, 13 years and 276K of year round abuse. Combine that with autoX, some DE, SCCA club rally's, and regional ice racing-that car saw it all. While visible corrosion was modest, the undercarriage/suspension/motor accesories etc...was a complete other story.

The car was a nightmare to work on. The custom ride height adj suspension, complete with Koni ext adj strut's were junk after a few years also.

So, the C4S stays away from winter for now. Just a battery tender and cleaning supplies-well, a flat screen/stereo/beer is all I'll need this winter.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:52 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't bring your car to Pennsyltucky in the winter. These geneses mix stone chips in with the salt They call them cinders but they are actually small 1-4 mm sized black stone chips. They pile up on the streets at the side of the roads and intersections. Don't ever get stuck behind a big rig that sways out of the main track on the road after a snow storm. They kick these stones up and pelt your car. I have to sweep my garage out about once a week after any snow.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:40 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Most drivers here in the Pacific Northwest can't seem to drive even in the rain and are worse in the snow. Aside from the sand and gravel laid down by road crews, I'll leave the 993 at home to avoid the potential for anyone with an out of control 4X4 SUV from sliding into it.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even as well rust-proofed as late model p-cars are/were, salt will still manage to eat at whatever is exposed give enough time. Sure we don't have body panels rusting out at the rate of a pre-74 911, but there are a thousand other exposed components subject to accelerated corrosion.
Our cars are now 12-15 years old. Who has any issues with rust and corrosion? I don't. I don't see many on the forum either. When there are such issues they seem to be in areas where water accumulates due to bad seals and or drainage issues. If I may quote Rosanne Rosannadanna, "It's always something", in the summer it's bugs, in the winter it's road dirt. Right after you wash it it's bird poop. I just wash it a lot and look for some excuse to go for a ride.

some like to park it
and admire it's shine
i just turn the key on
and make the engine whine
Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

My first winter in Sweden with the car and the worst winter in 70 years. Stopped counting the snow after 4 meters!
Good winter tires and just avoided salt when they sprayed in Goteborg-some 20 minutes from home.
When it got over 5 inches of snow I avoided it. Other than that drives like a dream.
My neighbor could not get up our mutual driveway in his BMW wagon-but the c2 had no worries.
It is a big difference(winter) from when I got the car in Hawaii some sixteen years ago.
Then the only season was -rain or no rain!
Porsches hate to sit too long!

Quick Reply: Why Winter Storage?