Sponsored by:

Why Winter Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts
Default Why Winter Storage?

We're new to 993 ownership and facing our first winter. Thus the question of winter storage has come up. I searched and read some threads about this and also a page at PCA outlining several winter strategies.

I don't understand why we should even consider storing the car for the winter. We won't be running on ice and snow, of course, but there are plenty of dry days when the only change from summer driving is that it's cold.

Is there something about these cars making them work poorly in cold? Ours seems to have some sort of climate control which on AC has two settings

1. you gotta be kidding me that that's AC

and

2. Ice blast.

I figure the HVAC in heating isn't too good as well, but I suppose it's there. Even so, there always is the possibility of wearing jackets.

Do many of you just use your cars normally in winter as we're tentatively planning on doing?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

There is nothing about these cars that makes them run poorly in the cold. Quite the opposite!

The air-cooled 911 (since the days of the SC at least) has the best heating system of any vehicle I've driven. The heat exchangers provide instant heat. No need to drive around for a heater core to warm up the coolant, etc. You start the car and it's practically on!

My A/C works fine at different levels, you may have to have yours checked.

It doesn't get too cold in NM to change to lower viscosity oil. And salt won't hurt the car more than any other modern car, the body is fully galvanized. It's funny but every time I go to ABQ it snows like crazy! Maybe I should start going there at times other than Christmas
Old 10-14-2010, 12:22 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Please stay away My wife would faint if I suggested we take her 993 out in snow.

We just changed the oil to 20w-50 which works in most older cars for all year. Maybe my SC was defective but I remember a decent but not wonderful heater. Then again, it doesn't get that cold here but it will in the areas where we'd like to drive - up higher.

I guess we'll worry about the AC next spring. It does work on high / recirc but not too well on lower settings in strong sun. We do have a very strong sun here.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I store my Porsches for the winter for 2 main reasons:

1) Salt
2) They are purely toys. My DD is a 4X4 Explorer

Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The cars are meant to be driven so drive them. I can't imagine to you need to store it in NM.

The Germans know a bit about cold hard winters!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:38 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

We use very little salt. I'm 100% sure we won't be taking the car out if there is snow or salt on the road. This isn't our daily driver.

As to the Germans and winter, yeah, but for all I knew, Germans store their P-cars too
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stored mine when we lived in Kansas, but we have plenty of nice days all year long here in Tennessee. BTW, the heater works great on these cars; no water to heat up. I have heat before I'm off the driveway!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only reason to store a car in the winter is salt...if there's no salt, there's no reason to store.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
Only reason to store a car in the winter is salt...if there's no salt, there's no reason to store.
and sand and gravel and ice and cold starts. Okay - maybe not in NM. I would never do that to my Porsche.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I'll be driving my Carrera all winter long here in Colorado. Not every day and not when it snows, but when it's sunny, which is often is around here, you betcha!!! I don't see any reason to store a car in NM for the winter.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by matt777
and sand and gravel and ice and cold starts. Okay - maybe not in NM. I would never do that to my Porsche.
It actually gets very cold here. Most people equate my area with Phoenix but that's not correct. We don't usually get much snow in my area, though. The higher elevations get a lot, though.

We use salt very sparingly or not at all, but often a lot of sand. it's like riding the bikes. As long as the surface is ok, we'll probably use the car now that I have heard that there isn't any reason aside from surface and salt not to.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure why you would store the car in the winter unless there was a lot of salt on the road. Here in Boulder, CO it is all sand, which isnt great on the front of the car/windshield either, but not sure I want to have a low mileage perfect car when I am dead. I think I would prefer to have experienced the car in all conditions. Cant take these things with you...
Old 10-14-2010, 01:34 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ploglet
Not sure why you would store the car in the winter unless there was a lot of salt on the road. Here in Boulder, CO it is all sand, which isnt great on the front of the car/windshield either, but not sure I want to have a low mileage perfect car when I am dead. I think I would prefer to have experienced the car in all conditions. Cant take these things with you...
I agree with you but it's my wife's car. Not in a legal sense, of course, but in the sense of ownership. She's in the stage where some never leave - that the car has some sort of value above utilitarian.

Her first husband died early in a motorcycle crash, but while alive he was a major SOB who spent all their money on his stuff. When we met she was sort of broke. This is the first luxo sort of thing she's ever owned - or at least of a major sort. Thus she hasn't gained a sense of proportion and for all I know, won't.

She's really enjoying the ownership experience her way, though.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I'll be driving my Carrera all winter long here in Colorado. Not every day and not when it snows, but when it's sunny, which is often is around here, you betcha!!! I don't see any reason to store a car in NM for the winter.
Yup, I will be driving my Carrera 4, perhaps even in the snow!

They don't use salt here
It's very dry and arid it is actually high plans desert.
And it really doesn't snow that often, what maybe, maybe a dozen or so days with snow on the ground.

I have lived here when its been in the 70s in December, supposed to be 80s tomorrow, but it could snow the day after.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:35 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The NC mountains get pretty darn cold in the winter but as long as no snow or ice I take the car out for some nice exercise on the sunny days. I'd hate to be without the car all winter. My heater also works great, the almost instant heat is amazing!

Quick Reply: Why Winter Storage?