Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Transmission oil question for 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^ almost positive you are correct Mike the Porsche OEM fluid in the grey non retail looking bottle is simply an OEM rebrand of the Shell Spirax S4 - 75W90 produced and sold globally.

The dealer is easily making 70 to 80 points on the sale of the litter bottles if not more.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Oops 1 litter bottles
Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Stupid auto correct LOL
Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,059 Posts
Default Lessons Learnd about transmissions, synchros & Lubricants

There seems to be lots of antidotal experience of differing shifter feel with different brands and types of transmission lubricant. As the first and second gear synchros start to loose their effectiveness due to wear I suspect small changes in the properties of the lubricant have profound impact on the feel and smoothness of shifting.

In my case I was unaware that my car transmission was near the end of synchro life. The symptom was incremental progressive dinging of gears while shifting from first to second gear when the car was cold. I thought it was simply because of the recent cold weather.

I changed out the old tired lubricant for new and found this made shifting a big problem resulting in having the synchros replaced. Upon inspection of the synchro assemblies the friction surfaces were nearly smooth and probably the only reason they synchronized the gears at all was because the old lubricant was shot and did not impede their grip to the facing rings very much.

Just one data point and food for thought.
Andy.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:47 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've changed to Redline MTL ns and have noticed a vast improvement in shifting.

Before that due to baulky shifting and slight graunching from 1st to 2nd and from 3rd down to 2nd I had my Indy change the gearbox oil. They put in the the standard stuff they do in all their P-Cars but I saw no improvement.

I purchased the Redline myself and got them to replace it and and now the shift is slicker and no graunch when moving through the gears at pace.

I read all the threads on here and there are varied views on this topic but many have had a good experience with the Redline. I had thought I'd stuffed my LSD due to some shuddering when reversing. My mechanics inspected the car and said it was a combination of the LSD working much better with the new oil and my new tyres that were much grippier!

I also changed the shift rod bushes which further improved the engagement etc.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I also changed the shift rod bushes which further improved the engagement etc.
Did you change the shift rod bushings after the oil change, or at the same time?

This experience illustrates the variability of the transmissions and oils - many difference experiences out there, its almost personalized to each individual car...

Next trans oil change I will be trying the Redine likely since I have a gallon on the shelf, and it's staring at me...

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike J
Did you change the shift rod bushings after the oil change, or at the same time?

This experience illustrates the variability of the transmissions and oils - many difference experiences out there, its almost personalized to each individual car...

Next trans oil change I will be trying the Redine likely since I have a gallon on the shelf, and it's staring at me...

Cheers

Mike
I thought someone might ask that No I didn't. I only actually had them done this week. The oil was done over a year ago and the Golden Rod etc before then. There was certainly an improvement changing to Redline.

The improvements were in different areas of the shift though. The oil "smoothed out" the shift and the gears engaged better. Whereas the bushes took out the final bit of slop that made it a little difficult at times to find the gear (particularly 2nd).

The other bits I replaced was the teflon bush in the shifter itself but that was a while ago too. My comments on the Redline is really comparing it back to back with new oil put in previously and no other changes/mods.

I think if people are happy with the shift using Mobil Delvac or other oil then continue using it however if they continue to have issues then the Redline is worth trying. My Indy said most of the race guys here use it on the P-Cars. They just don't use it in their customers cars as its much more expensive than the oil they are using.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 276 Posts

I recently switched to Redline NS. It now shifts much better and no mo crunch going 1st to 2nd.
The following users liked this post:
GJSPIN (11-30-2022)
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking at motul myself. Looks like a good option; although expensive.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Mish_Mish
Intermediate

I thought someone might ask that No I didn't. I only actually had them done this week. The oil was done over a year ago and the Golden Rod etc before then. There was certainly an improvement changing to Redline.

The improvements were in different areas of the shift though. The oil "smoothed out" the shift and the gears engaged better. Whereas the bushes took out the final bit of slop that made it a little difficult at times to find the gear (particularly 2nd).

The other bits I replaced was the teflon bush in the shifter itself but that was a while ago too. My comments on the Redline is really comparing it back to back with new oil put in previously and no other changes/mods.
I just bought '96 C2 with LSD and drained original gear oil at 64K miles, naturally looking like metallic paint, due to all synchronizer residue Third and second gears were little notchy when cold, but I was told that these gearboxes are never silky smooth.

I just changed gear oil in my 993 C2 to Redline MTL and also see smoother shifting across all temperature ranges, even my notchy 3rd is much smoother now. If I shift very fast into third, it goes right in like butter, same if I shift slow, but if I shift quick, it might give me a little unpleasant feedback, not grind, but a notch. I will replace that synchronizer when I do engine out, so it does not bother me a lot...

My concern is that MTL not designed for hypoid gears and LSD differentials and not GL5, so your long-term experience is much appreciated.

My 996 Turbo is running on MTL for 6K miles now and I have no problems to report.

Thank you!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:34 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
^^^ almost positive you are correct Mike the Porsche OEM fluid in the grey non retail looking bottle is simply an OEM rebrand of the Shell Spirax S4 - 75W90 produced and sold globally.

The dealer is easily making 70 to 80 points on the sale of the litter bottles if not more.
You want Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75w90 and not the S4 product that is only GL-4 rated.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:01 PM
enjoytheride
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've changed to Redline MTL ns and have noticed a vast improvement in shifting.
Redline "MTL NS" isn't a Redline product. There are:
        Redline Gear Oils

I'm curious to know what Kiwi Carguy really used because I changed out my probably-factory-fill-oil for Redline 75w90 NS and got increased notchiness, particularly in the cold.

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
        I just changed gear oil in my 993 C2 to Redline MTL and also see smoother shifting across all temperature ranges, even my notchy 3rd is much smoother now.

My concern is that MTL not designed for hypoid gears and LSD differentials and not GL5, so your long-term experience is much appreciated.
        How can we be sure it's ok to run GL-4 in the G50?
        Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM
        GTgears
        Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

GL4 isn't right for your gearbox. Thats for a transmission not a transaxle. The shifting will be great and the ring and pinion will eat itself.
        Old 05-18-2017, 12:53 AM
        evilfij
        SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
        Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I bought some redline 75w90 NS

I am not sure what is in it now to compare, but should have a report soon. The various redline products have been great MT90 in my lotuses and Tacoma, MTL in my rovers so looking forward to trying in the 993, but it already shifts great so ....
        Old 05-18-2017, 11:15 PM
        Mish_Mish
        Intermediate

Originally Posted by GTgears
        GL4 isn't right for your gearbox. Thats for a transmission not a transaxle. The shifting will be great and the ring and pinion will eat itself.
        My concern exactly, so I am thinking perhaps some additive from Lucas, to please hypoidal gears?

Quick Reply: Transmission oil question for 993