Sponsored by:

this is CRAZY!- red seatbelts install

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default this is CRAZY!- red seatbelts install

so I've been thinking about having red set belts (front only) put in my 993 turbo. I called my service coordinater at the local Porsche dealership to see how much it would cost to have their mechanic install the seatbelts (I do not know of a local qualified wrench)

the cost was quoted at $280. I told him I thought that seemed high as I heard it was about an hour of labor. He told me it was a big job as the belts need to be "reset" and calibrated. Supposedly there is some type of "explosive" in there that needs to be dealt with too. Also that the battery would have to be disconnected. I do not want to disconnect battery due to issues that then supposedly occur at emmissions testing time.

Does this all seem bizarre?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:22 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

that's crazy talk to have them installed. i did red belts in my previous 993 and it was a very easy job. probably took about an hour with my (then 4 year old) son. i didn't have to disconnect the battery or reset anything.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Bull****. I've taken apart those belts, there is nothing to be reset or calibrated. Especially if you're getting a new set. I can see how you may have to unwind and rewind a set that has been retracted all the way but even that is not a huge job. And there is definitely no need to disconnect the battery either. They are pulling your leg big time.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another example of a Porsche dealer who knows little about the 993 and earlier cars... it's just the way it is.
Too bad you don't have an independant available.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:46 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
Supposedly there is some type of "explosive" in there that needs to be dealt with too. Also that the battery would have to be disconnected.

Does this all seem bizarre?
The explosive that he is referring to would be from the seat belt pretensioner. The pretensioner is used to tighten the seat belt in the event of a collision. It does this by using a small explosive expanding gas to drive a piston that retracts the belt and pulls it tight on the occupant of the seat. These have the potential to be dangerous to people in my line of work if not handled properly during an extrication. These first appeared in 2002 996's and newer - so this would appear to be another case of someone working at the service department of a dealer not knowing squat about our cars - there is no need to disconnect the battery and should not need more than an hour for labour (it should take about 10-15 min).
Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

Porsche didn't put those seat belts into their cars until 2002. If your in the Los Angeles area I'll do it for you. Piece of cake!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by firesm
The explosive that he is referring to would be from the seat belt pretensioner. The pretensioner is used to tighten the seat belt in the event of a collision. It does this by using a small explosive expanding gas to drive a piston that retracts the belt and pulls it tight on the occupant of the seat. These have the potential to be dangerous to people in my line of work if not handled properly during an extrication. These first appeared in 2002 996's and newer - so this would appear to be another case of someone working at the service department of a dealer not knowing squat about our cars - there is no need to disconnect the battery and should not need more than an hour for labour (it should take about 10-15 min).
that is great to know Steve. Are u sure it's only 2002 and newer? I want to have my facts straight when I talk to this clown again.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The Service Writer/Manager is an *** CLOWN. I have installed blue belts in my Rivi cab and Yellow belts in my yellow cab. I rolled my yellow cab with the yellow belts installed by me and they kept me alive. I installed both sets myself. A very easy DIY. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

Mike
Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Parnelli
that is great to know Steve. Are u sure it's only 2002 and newer? I want to have my facts straight when I talk to this clown again.
Yes;

From the model year 2002 Tech Book;

"For model year '02, all 911 models are fitted with belt tensioners and belt-force tensioners.
The pyrotechnic ball belt tensioner is combined with the belt-force limiter in one unit.
The threshold value for triggering the pyrotechnic belt tensioner is calculated as for the airbag actuation from the sensor signals for vehicle deceleration. The triggering of the belt tensioner during a frontal collision takes place together with the triggering of the front airbags.
During a rear collision only the belt tensioner is triggered.
The ***** are driven through a pyrotechnic propellant charge. This kinetic energy is carried over to the belt reel via a pinion. Belt slack is taken up by winding in belt.
Belt-force limiters
To avoid bruising and internal injury, the belt's pulling force must be limited to a bearable level. Further tensioning beyond a dangerous pulling force level is prevented. The belt can be balanced up to a certain length via a torsion shaft in the belt mechanism."
Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arena993
*** CLOWN.

He said "*** Clown"

Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Yes;

From the model year 2002 Tech Book;

"For model year '02, all 911 models are fitted with belt tensioners and belt-force tensioners.
The pyrotechnic ball belt tensioner is combined with the belt-force limiter in one unit.
The threshold value for triggering the pyrotechnic belt tensioner is calculated as for the airbag actuation from the sensor signals for vehicle deceleration. The triggering of the belt tensioner during a frontal collision takes place together with the triggering of the front airbags.
During a rear collision only the belt tensioner is triggered.
The ***** are driven through a pyrotechnic propellant charge. This kinetic energy is carried over to the belt reel via a pinion. Belt slack is taken up by winding in belt.
Belt-force limiters
To avoid bruising and internal injury, the belt's pulling force must be limited to a bearable level. Further tensioning beyond a dangerous pulling force level is prevented. The belt can be balanced up to a certain length via a torsion shaft in the belt mechanism."
Zacktly! And tell the service manager to . Although you can't really blame him, most dealers don't care about any car that's not under warranty anymore. Last year I went to a Toyota dealer to get a new key made for my ancient 1995 4Runner and the service advisor and parts guy both said they couldn't cut a key for my truck because it was too old. They did try three times and couldn't get any of them to turn in the ignition. I went to my local hardware store where the teenage girl working behind the counter cut me a key in about 30 seconds - charged me $1.99 and worked perfectly first try!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 187 Posts

Parnelli,

Have you purchased the belts yet or were you going to get them through the stealership?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Don't know where you live but I will install them for FREE!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Parnelli,

Have you purchased the belts yet or were you going to get them through the stealership?

have not bought the belts yet. Got a quote from Sunset, though. love the ***-clown comment!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Rennlist is a great place, and Chuck W. and Cactus (along with many others) are the sprit that put the 993 forum on the top of the list!

For Yellow belts, on my MOD list, I have only found a UK source.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93050.htm

Quick Reply: this is CRAZY!- red seatbelts install