Sponsored by:

Detailing my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

WE NEVER CLEAN THE ENGINES ON A 993!

Really, just clean it like you do other parts of the car. Use a quality degreaser made for cars, a AP cleaner, & maybe a plastic & rubber cleaner. The only real part you don't want water is in the intake. It's easy to keep water out of it.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:22 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, OT question. I notice that some airboxes have a chromed inlet while others are black. What is the difference - other than the obvious of course?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 697 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
Sorry, OT question. I notice that some airboxes have a chromed inlet while others are black. What is the difference - other than the obvious of course?
Those little holes drilled into the side of the airbox cover...

Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Most everything has been covered here. The only real worry is to cover the airbox with a ziplock bag or something else to keep the water out. My process is to spray a degreaser all over the engine and let it soak, then power wash off. A few tips I have learned along the way:

1 - for stubborn greasy areas, I use 3M adhesive remover and a tooth brush. For instance, if you use that on the fan, it will come out sparkling. However, dont get this anywhere near your factory stickers, they will come right off. Put it on a rag or tooth brush and use it on the stubborn spots.

2- If you dont have one, buy a leaf blower to dry the engine on high setting after you have degreased and power washed several times.

3- Finish by using an armor all type product. Be liberal with this, it won't hurt anything and it is what will make the engine shiny, especially all the rubber hoses, parts, etc.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
If you dont have one, buy a leaf blower to dry the engine on high setting after you have degreased and power washed several times.
There is one item I would never use on any vehicle.

The only time I use a power washer is on the wheels after they are removed off the vehicle.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Even Roger Penske said that a clean car is a fast car....and I think Roger knows his sh*t.

At any rate I second the leaf blower big time*, use a power washer (but don't point it directly at the distributor) and instead of armor all I use a light coating of Stoner's "Trim Shine".

Getting rid of that ugly heater blower makes the engine look much more sexy. But I wouldn't do that in Minnesota.

*I use it whenever I wash my cars- nothing will get all the water out from under the 993 rear lights better than a leaf blower. It keeps rust of the rotors and makes drying wheels a snap.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IXLR8
There is one item I would never use on any vehicle.

The only time I use a power washer is on the wheels after they are removed off the vehicle.
I think your posts would be much more helpful if you would explain "why". Not being rude, just saying... we all like to learn from each other, at least I do.

So please do tell. Why on earth wouldnt you use a power washer? By the way, maybe we are caught up in language/definitions. I bought mine at Lowes, it's the kind that plugs in (electronic) and you could connect your hose to it. I don't know what the "horsepower", etc. is on it, but it is not something that is going to strip concrete

I have used it on all of my cars, for many years, with great success. Many of the folks that I know that compete in Concours have also used something similar. I can spray it on my bare foot, and while uncomfortable, doesnt do any harm. If it doesnt hurt the skin on top of my foot, I doubt that it will hurt the metal on my engine (?)
Old 10-05-2010, 01:08 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought Armor-All was a no-no around the oxygen sensors because it contains silicone ... at least that was what I was told back in the day.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vjd3
I thought Armor-All was a no-no around the oxygen sensors because it contains silicone ... at least that was what I was told back in the day.
Can't speak to it specifically... I use something called Einszett Cockpit Premium which is similar but higher quality and not greasy
Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I think most power washers (anything over 1200 psi) can be harmful to a car if not used properly. Mine can literally peel paint (3200 psi). But when the pressure is adjusted properly and it's pointed where it's supposed to be I don't see any issues. I used it to clean the underside this past Winter- it took five attempts and it still doesn't look as good as some of the cars posted on here. But I would never even have attempted it without the power washer.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

I will have to go look at mine to see what the psi is, but i strongly doubt i have the kind you are talking about George...
Old 10-05-2010, 03:36 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power washers are not good around electrical connectors. They can force water into the connector or knock the connector loose. Maybe you could use one on the engine if you could turn the pressure down and direct a fine spray to the metal and plastic pieces.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I think your posts would be much more helpful if you would explain "why". Not being rude, just saying... we all like to learn from each other, at least I do.

So please do tell. Why on earth wouldnt you use a power washer? By the way, maybe we are caught up in language/definitions. I bought mine at Lowes, it's the kind that plugs in (electronic) and you could connect your hose to it. I don't know what the "horsepower", etc. is on it, but it is not something that is going to strip concrete
I do pro detailing part time, & let me tell you every shop out there uses a power washer. They can do damage, but you either use a different tip, or get one rated for the job, for cars you don't go over 2500PSI, & with that you use a 60deg or more tip, it defuses the pressure to safe levels.

If you have an electric on, chances are it's 1800 psi or lower, don't use the power tip on it, just the normal fan tip.

Originally Posted by vjd3
Armor All needs to just go away it is a horrible product. Yes, it's mostly silicone. But if you use it, then wash the car, it will wash away & leave tiger stripping. It's also not good for rubber parts, it can also deteriorate vinyl over time.

I also feel it's to shinny, & make things look cheap.

Can't speak to it specifically... I use something called Einszett Cockpit Premium which is similar but higher quality and not greasy
1Z products ROCK! I use just about the whole line on my cars. They also make a product for rubber & vinyl called Tempenflinger (I'm sure it's spelled wrong), it leave a nice satin shine, & is great in the engine bay.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

So please do tell. Why on earth wouldn't you use a power washer?
Sorry Jon, you are right.

Pressure washers produce far too much pressure, so much so that there are numerous disadvantages to using one.

True professional detailers would never use one to wash their car. Any grit on the paint is pressed into the paint.

Bonded body-side moldings will slowly detach themselves from the body over time.

Rubber seals cannot possibly seal out the water. I've seen owners blast their brake calipers up close. On engines, the edges of gaskets slowly get eroded away.

And if you hold the wand far away from the vehicle as you should, there is hardly any point to using one. Lets face it, they are for fast jobs by owners and businesses not willing to take the time.

I'd use one on a motocross motorcycle, but things like wheel and steering head bearings get regular attention in one season alone.

And I would not do this again, but I've held my finger at a very shallow angle to the jet stream of a 1750 psi pressure washer to see how hard it is on anything you spray....cripes...no further comment.

By the way, maybe we are caught up in language/definitions. I bought mine at Lowes, it's the kind that plugs in (electronic) and you could connect your hose to it. I don't know what the "horsepower", etc. is on it, but it is not something that is going to strip concrete
You call it a power washer. I call them pressure washers as most manufacturers do, I think.

They range from about 1200 psi to about 2000 psi for home use.

Mine will take paint off certain items like older wheel rims.

I have used it on all of my cars, for many years, with great success. Many of the folks that I know that compete in Concours have also used something similar. I can spray it on my bare foot, and while uncomfortable, doesn't do any harm. If it doesnt hurt the skin on top of my foot, I doubt that it will hurt the metal on my engine (?)
OK, so we are talking different powers of pressure washers. If you sprayed the top of your foot with mine from a few inches away, you'd be going to the hospital.

In any case, all you need is a garden hose with a spray nozzle to clean any of your vehicles. You need to use the right soap to degrease...like Facto AT30.

Some will disagree; I prefer to be gentler on my vehicle.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:43 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ur-engine-bay/
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ne-detail.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIanUYmyBgQ

Quick Reply: Detailing my engine?