993 Forum 1995-1998

Dash and door wood trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
castorjs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash and door wood trim removal

So, I am seriously considering buying this 95 c4 I found. The price is right and I like the color combination. There is just one problem. One of the po installed a wood dash kit including on the doors. I don't like that especially with the color combination and I would have to remove it asap once I bought the car. Has anyone ever removed this stuff before? Is the glue possible to get off or will I have to replace the dash and door pieces? Just want to know what I am in for and if it is a big enough pita to just pass on the car.

thanks,

Jon
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 AM
castorjs
Instructor

I guess every one likes the wood trim.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be mostly concerned about the dash and door pieces, as I think they would be hardest to get off without damaging the stock leather/vinyl.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Pm mrsullivan as he just did the same thing.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So funny. I just did this. My perfect turquoise blue/black 993 had the factory OEM option wood trim in the dash. I sent the car to RPM Sports Cars to have it changed to standard black. They did a flawless job but it wasnt cheap. Not sure how handy you are, but I would say that this is not a DIY unless you are very adept with interior/upholstry, etc. All the wood pieces have to be replaced with factory black vinyl pieces. The stuff cant just be peeled off and clean up the glue...doesnt work that way. The parts themselves are expensive from Porsche. So I guess the bottom line is that it can be done, but I would budget approximately $3000 to include all parts and labor at a high end shop. This is not the type of thing you want done by someone who hasnt done it before. I picked RPM because they have done a lot of this switching for carbon fiber, etc. It definitely can be done and with minimal impact to the car, just needs to be a pro. They took pictures for me along the way and I am very happy with the job they did. Maybe you have someone in your area that you trust (?)

PM with any other questions.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:03 AM
johnnypiedras
Rennlist Member

mr sullivan, do you still have the wood pieces? i would be interested
Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the wood. But I've never actually been in a 993 that had it.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

the door panel inserts are easy, as are the shift **** and hand brake lever. just buy new or used parts and replace. one option is rs door panels, rothsport shifter and removing the wood on the hand brake.

the piece behind the gauges is likely very thin and can be pulled off easy. the stock part is just a glued on piece of vinyl.
the center of the dash could be tough if it was glued on well. remove upper and lower dash, radio, ccu and *****. if the wood(maybe plastic with a print) stuff was glued on well don't try to remove. the stock parts are foam, wire frame with vinyl face, the foam is glued to the metal dash. if you try to peal the wood print up you might tear or bend the part underneath.
it is possible that the wood print is very thin stuff. if so you might be able to use vinyl wrap, or buy some of the carbon fiber parts from marcus and cover the wood print.
search for marcus and carbon fiber, someone posted a price list a while back.
otherwise you can try to peal off the wood, or get a scraper and pull off the entire foam/vinyl part. then buy some used parts and replace.

the 2 airbag panels can be unbolted and removed, the rest of the center dash will have to be worked on in place.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whether one likes them or not the rootwood dash and door panels were an expensive option in a 993 according to the following link from P-car.com. $6,500 USD not including the ebrake and shift ****, which cost another $739. Maybe if they were carefully removed the rootwood would have some value for someone.

http://www.p-car.com/technical/option.html
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

I have the same wooden options and have changed the steering wheel, hand brake and gear **** into normal black, and got the door panels covered in black leather. I have kept the dash parts as they are. They are not at all plastic, it's real wood and about 6-8 mm thick! You'll see if you remove the CCU or the radio head unit.
Regards,
Tore
Old 10-26-2010, 10:39 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This was quite a job at RPM. I have pictures. If anyone is interested PM me or email jbtrichel@gmail.com and I will send. After seeing the job, it's absolutely positively not something I would ever take on. For example, while it is true that the piece behind the gauges comes right off, prepping that area perfectly and gluing the razor then piece of viny just in the right spot, no bubbles, not marks, etc. I knew if I had this done at RPM where they have done dozens of these for carbon fiber, etc. it would be factory perfect. And it is. But just my $.02 it is a significant job if done to high standards.

I left the wood pieces with Ray Joseph at RPM, sorry...

Quick Reply: Dash and door wood trim removal