Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Palooza 2010, Eureka Springs, AR

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 04:38 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 187 Posts

Got the oil changed in the turbo last week. Getting new rear tires and oil changed now in the cgt and I'm ready to roll.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
It happens to you too? GPS = Getting People Stuck

Do not trust GPS in R Can Saw.

Gee, I love it here

There's a little story behind that....
I was between 993's so I took the Cayenne. For much of the drive I was relegated to the back of the pack. When we got close to Eureka Springs they told me to lead. I was using the Cayenne GPS but the road we were on had recently been widened (?) from 2 lane to divided 4 lane. My GPS thought the road we were taking went off to the left and kept saying "exit to the left in xxx ft" so I was in the left lane.

Well the (new) exit was on the right. Rather than follow the lost, Chuck took the exit to the right. While I was turning the rest of us around Chuck was heading into town, without a radar detector. When I got everybody back on the road we needed to take and headed into town I looked off to the right and down a side road and saw these blue flashing lights and a silver 993 stopped in front of him....

Like a good trooper Chuck had diverted the LEO's attention so the rest of us could get by. (thank you Chuck )

As soon as he got home from Palooza Chuck bought a radar detector.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Got the oil changed in the turbo last week. Getting new rear tires and oil changed now in the cgt and I'm ready to roll.
Do you need to get a second mortgage for those rear tires Brian? I'm sure they can't be cheap for the CGT!
Old 10-30-2010, 06:21 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
There's a little story behind that....
I was between 993's so I took the Cayenne. For much of the drive I was relegated to the back of the pack. When we got close to Eureka Springs they told me to lead. I was using the Cayenne GPS but the road we were on had recently been widened (?) from 2 lane to divided 4 lane. My GPS thought the road we were taking went off to the left and kept saying "exit to the left in xxx ft" so I was in the left lane.

Well the (new) exit was on the right. Rather than follow the lost, Chuck took the exit to the right. While I was turning the rest of us around Chuck was heading into town, without a radar detector. When I got everybody back on the road we needed to take and headed into town I looked off to the right and down a side road and saw these blue flashing lights and a silver 993 stopped in front of him....

Like a good trooper Chuck had diverted the LEO's attention so the rest of us could get by. (thank you Chuck )

As soon as he got home from Palooza Chuck bought a radar detector.

Yes, I took one for the team last year. I wish I'd gotten 'lost' like everyone else.

The officer was nice to me in that if he'd written me up for my real velocity, I would have had to go to the police station with him. And stay.

I'm really looking forward to this year. I just finished reading Vic Elford's "Reflections on a Golden Era in Motorsports.'

chuck
Old 10-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by csertich

Yes, I took one for the team last year. I wish I'd gotten 'lost' like everyone else.

The officer was nice to me in that if he'd written me up for my real velocity, I would have had to go to the police station with him. And stay.

I'm really looking forward to this year. I just finished reading Vic Elford's "Reflections on a Golden Era in Motorsports.'

chuck
So.... not only did you NOT follow the leader (and the rest of the pack) you tried really hard to get as far away from us as fast as possible.....hum.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:59 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

So.... not only did you NOT follow the leader (and the rest of the pack) you tried really hard to get as far away from us as fast as possible.....hum.

I really have no idea how I went the right way. Not like me.....
Old 10-31-2010, 12:20 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BufordTJ
Chuck & Bill,
What route will you guys take in to Eureka? We'll be at the base of 23 around 2:30 and you guys are welcome to join us. But if your going up 7 in Russellville take a slight detour and drive 123. You'll never forget it!
Thanks! We might just do that. I'll check with the group.
We did 123 a couple of years ago. So many great roads in the area....
Looking forward to seeing you again!

chuck
Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 187 Posts

Do you need to get a second mortgage for those rear tires Brian? I'm sure they can't be cheap for the CGT!
Nah, this will be a third mortgage. I had to take out a second for the car itself. Actually, the tires aren't cheap but they're probably not as expensive as one might think.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:00 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

chuck

You are a good man Chuck.

Remind me to NEVER follow you.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:07 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think we'll be just going straight up on 65 since we'll be in Little Rock the day before and that's the quicker route. Plus we will have Speedster with us at the Palooza. We do not want her to hurl in the 911 as she sometimes gets a little green around the gills when we hit the curvies, and 123 is curvy to say the least. Speedster's only given us a little gift twice since we got her thanks to twisties, and we don't her to give us another to make it three times, especially not in a Porsche. As I get older too, I sometimes get a little icky feeling too, unless I am behind the wheel then nothing matters. I'm not the worlds best passenger. I am a back seat driver in the front passenger seat. Poor Robert. I swear it's an age thing.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:32 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJT
You are a good man Chuck.

Remind me to NEVER follow you.

But I went the right way....Just a little too fast.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:53 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

But I went the right way....Just a little too fast.
A little too fast and Barney Fife found ya.

We had a run in with Barney in MO. He gets around.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:53 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Latest stats:

Cars Attending: 187
Individuals Attending: 354
Friday Mixer: 246
Saturday Dinner: 254
Saturday morning spirited drive (by car type): 109
Saturday morning scenic drive: 62
Sunday morning autocross: 23
11 States Represented: (AR, AZ, CO, FL, KS, MO, MS, NE, OK, TN, TX)
Old 11-04-2010, 12:36 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

One week!

193 cars

In R CAN SAW!

Who would have ever thunk it.

BTW:

If you are trying to get into the main hotel, like I've been trying to do since I booked a room at the overflow hotel over a month ago, forget it.

Today I was told there was a waiting list even though I was told there was no waiting list when I asked before. I was told to just keep calling and hopefully a room would become available. Well, if you were told the same thing, forget it. The hotel person in charge of groups apologized said it's not so. It goes by waiting list. I wish he had picked up the phone sooner. He put me on it and I am #15 so he very seriously doubts that many people will cancel before they get to me. Oh well. So it goes. He also said that folks were were there last year get first dibs on the rooms. I have no idea how they work that nor why they would, but NO WONDER there were no rooms as soon as the event opened up as other PP attendees had told me. I laughed and told him we were there three years ago in a SUITE and did that count? lol

Seriously, I'm fine at the other hotel this time since we waited a few weeks to register after the event was announced. The other hotel is filled with Paloozaer's too, but since I have my little Speedster with me, it would have been nice to be at the main hotel so she wouldn't get stuck in the car wrapped up in blankets instead of waiting for us in her crate a nice warm room. Next year, I am booking the hotel the day the event opens up for registration and see if this first dibs thing is really is true, or not.

They are calling for rain on Thursday, Sunny and dry on Friday though!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:03 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
One week!

He also said that folks were were there last year get first dibs on the rooms. I have no idea how they work that nor why they would, but NO WONDER there were no rooms as soon as the event opened up as other PP attendees had told me. I laughed and told him we were there three years ago in a SUITE and did that count? lol

Next year, I am booking the hotel the day the event opens up for registration and see if this first dibs thing is really is true, or not.

They are calling for rain on Thursday, Sunny and dry on Friday though!!!!
Actually, they ask you when you check out if you want a room for next year. Ask me how I know. I think they started doing it last year ...or maybe the year before that.

Quick Reply: Porsche Palooza 2010, Eureka Springs, AR