Sponsored by:

Accuracy of the oil level gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you would bend the float arm downward

how much? Never measured degrees, sorry. It doesn't take much...
Old 03-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

This must be the fifth or sixth time I have written about this. Take two pairs of pliers to the arm, put them side by side, and make sure the bend is at the right angle aligned with the float. The bend is about 20 degrees at the most.

If the bend is too much, then the float will hit the metal limit and its not a big deal, just the gauge will be reading high. If you do not bend it enough, get it on the next oil change.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anecdotal observation from my car. Accidentally put a quart too much in my car on a couple of occasions. On one I drained some out, but on the other I just left it. The oil gauge would register by the time the engine was at about 120 degrees ( first mark on temp gauge). No ill effects whatsoever.

Another point. Get in habit of checking gauge in same location, like your garage. Gauge is sensitive to level. I have used my dipstick maybe seven times in last 120K miles.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:52 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 231 Posts

As a newbie owner this thread was an EYE opener!

I'll head home this evening and take the car for a spin and see where the guage vs. dipstick is at. I think the guage was reading full on the highway yesterday but would drop at slower speeds...hmmm ???
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche

I'll head home this evening and take the car for a spin and see where the guage vs. dipstick is at. I think the guage was reading full on the highway yesterday but would drop at slower speeds...hmmm ???
Ya'll - dang it! Any reading you find on the gauge is MEANINGLESS unless the car is stationary, on a level surface, absolutely warmed up (like hot) and has been at idle for a bit (let's say a minute).

No speculations, no deviations, no changes - nothing. This is the rule, a fact and should not even be a topic of discussion.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche

If the car is above idle, you should not see much if any readings on the gauge. If you are running on the highway, and your RPM's are above 2000 (hopefully above 3000) and the tank is reading full - you are either overfilled or the gauge is hosed.

At a stoplight, you can see the gauge go up as the engine is idling and the oil is returned to the tank. When you take off, the gauge will drop. That tells you the oil level is at a good level. If you are at a stoplight, and the gauge does not move, then the gauge is either reading low, or you are low on oil.

In both cases, it takes 10 seconds or more stopped. I can see the oil starting to rise in the gauge in about 10 seconds, although it takes a bit longer before it stops and I can trust it.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-14-2012, 04:56 AM
DaveHak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the oil meter represents how much oil, from the red to top?

Quick Reply: Accuracy of the oil level gauge