Sponsored by:

Accuracy of the oil level gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:02 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts
Default Accuracy of the oil level gauge

While not overly inconvenient, it's not exactly wonderful to check the oil on our 993. What I wonder is if it's really needed to do so using the dipstick.

Our car has an oil level gauge which I suppose is standard. When we start out, our gauge shows between 3/4 and 1/2 on the gauge implying the car has 'sumped' while sitting for the few days to a week in between uses. That's expected of any dry sump vehicle.

After a bit of running, the scavenging pump has its way and the gauge reads full or almost full.

To me that sounds like the gauge is doing its job accurately making the need to check the oil on the dipstick redundant. So is this true or do I still need to rely on the dipstick? If so, what does the oil level gauge do?
Old 09-18-2010, 12:08 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your gauge should never read 3/4 or full!!!! While the gauge can definitely not be accurate, you should rely on the dipstick and check it on an even surface while the car is running and warmed up (after a drive). Keep the oil in the middle of the twisty part on the dipstick. On a working gauge the middle of the dipstick should read about half way on the gauge. There is a ton of info on oil level threads on here. Even though it is a pain once in a while, most people on here will tell you the dipstick is the only accurate way to check oil level.

Last edited by cpdjfd107; 09-18-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-18-2010, 12:11 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

OK. I'll search on oil level here. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:12 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only meaningful oil level check is with the car fully warmed, sitting level with the engine running. For me, under these conditions, my oil guage reads midrange(3:00) when the level in the dipstick is also midway. If you check both ways over a period of time you can be more confident of your gauge. If I read your post correctly, you may be overfilled.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:22 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

When I checked the oil using the dipstick it seemed over filled to me too. I have one of those evacuation pumps because that's the only practical way to drain the oil from several motorcycles. What I'll do now is have more faith in my eye on the dipstick and less on the P.O. and check it again draining a bit out of the filler neck if needed.

I read a bunch of posts similar to mine after doing a search on this forum. Next time I'll search first and ask later
Old 09-18-2010, 12:31 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=dryadsdad;7905831]When I checked the oil using the dipstick it seemed over filled to me too. I have one of those evacuation pumps because that's the only practical way to drain the oil from several motorcycles. What I'll do now is have more faith in my eye on the dipstick and less on the P.O. and check it again draining a bit out of the filler neck if needed.

I read a bunch of posts similar to mine after doing a search on this forum. Next time I'll search first and ask later [/QU

Depending on what oil you use its very difficult to read on the dipstick. I use brad penn. I find it a little easier to read because of its color. If its dark and I want to check it I place the dipstick against a paper towel on one side. Try whatever works best for you.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:08 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
When we start out, our gauge shows between 3/4 and 1/2 on the gauge
If your oil level gauge reads anything when the car is cold, it is likely overfilled. Car must be fully up to temp which takes a good drive to achieve. Then check your dipstick with the car running. With the dipstick somewhere above halfway on the twisty part, your gauge should give some kind of reading. NOT ALL GAUGES READ THE SAME. This is the frustrating part. Find the right level on your dipstick and see how it relates to your oil level gauge. Some gauges are very accurate, some only "come to life" when the oil level is right to the top. Each car also seems to have a "sweet spot" that it likes.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:02 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
Depending on what oil you use its very difficult to read on the dipstick. I use brad penn. I find it a little easier to read because of its color. If its dark and I want to check it I place the dipstick against a paper towel on one side. Try whatever works best for you.
Took me a few searches before I found out that Brad Penn wasn't Sean Penn's brother or something.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:05 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
If your oil level gauge reads anything when the car is cold, it is likely overfilled. Car must be fully up to temp which takes a good drive to achieve. Then check your dipstick with the car running. With the dipstick somewhere above halfway on the twisty part, your gauge should give some kind of reading. NOT ALL GAUGES READ THE SAME. This is the frustrating part. Find the right level on your dipstick and see how it relates to your oil level gauge. Some gauges are very accurate, some only "come to life" when the oil level is right to the top. Each car also seems to have a "sweet spot" that it likes.
I'll check it more closely next time we drive. The car is new to us and so far my wife's been driving every time from cold with me peeking. I may be seeing things wrong.

Next launch, which is tomorrow, I'll drive from cold and also plan on stopping for fuel after the car is fully warmed up. I'll also check the dipstick then and maybe start looking for Brad Penn at the auto stores. The PO used Mobil 1. I"ve never heard of Brad Penn oil or realized there is an oil which is light in color so easily seen in the dark on the dipstick.

I sure would like to find oil with zinc left in it. I kinda sorta figured that was illegal due to pollution regs.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, I may get blasted on this, but I need to ask. I can't see how there's a problem if the oil is overfilled in a dry sump system. The oil resides in a separate tank, not in the sump of the engine. If the oil is overfilled in a regular engine, I understand all the issues. But, if it's in a separate tank, how's that affect the engine? At the very worst, oil will just overflow out of the filler tube. All you would have a mess to clean, but no damage to the engine.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:28 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you over fill the oil ... it will spit out all over your engine. I don't know of any issue short of "FIRE"
Old 09-18-2010, 03:30 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

OTOH, after hundreds of miles and some hard running, we're not getting any overspill so maybe even if it's overfilled - no penalty. Good point ble2011.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:49 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

A lot of Rennlisters like BRad Penn because of the amount of zinc or ZDDP in has in it. I made the switch. Just search Brad Penn and you will get a lot of reviews and recommendations. I know Steve Weiner recommends it. Its not glow in the dark oil or anything, but it is green and it seems to show up on the dipstick a little easier.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good chance you will NOT find Brad Penn in any Auto Store, try this link for your nearest distributor: http://locator.bradpennracing.com/Default.aspx

Old 09-18-2010, 06:17 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

We've got an independent hardware store about 5 miles from the house that carries Brad Penn. Having too much oil is just as bad as not enough. It will create excess pressure on seals, it will get sucked up into the intake and re-gurgitate back up the oil fill tube. When you're talking about a system capacity of 12 qt., it's better to be a qt. low than a qt. too high.

Quick Reply: Accuracy of the oil level gauge