Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone Using Bilstein MSP Series Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:14 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone Using Bilstein MSP Series Coilovers?

Looking through the Bilstein Road Racing catalog I came across these MSP series coilovers, but can't find much information on them. Pelican Parts lists them as the RSR shocks but that's about all I can find.

What's the advantage/disadvantage to owning something like these over the PSS10's?

Thanks!
- Peter
Old 09-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set that were termed 993 cups / RSR shocks. They have a fixed setting and are not adjustable.

They worked great on the track (better than my PSS10's), just enough ground clearance to be streetable and a civil enough ride quality on a smooth street.

Rick
Old 09-10-2010, 07:26 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Looking through the Bilstein Road Racing catalog I came across these MSP series coilovers, but can't find much information on them. Pelican Parts lists them as the RSR shocks but that's about all I can find.

What's the advantage/disadvantage to owning something like these over the PSS10's?

Thanks!
- Peter
peter
also consider the KW Variant 3 option
Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Rick,
You used present and past tense in your reply. Does this mean you still have the setup, but they are no longer on the vehicle? I am assuming you are now running the PSS10's.

I called Bilstein down here in Poway and the salesman had never even heard of them! No literature, no information. Supposedly the North Carolina plant handles the road race products, so I will have to wait until Monday to bug them. Now it's 90% a curiosity thing .

Thanks,
- Peter
Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Peter,
I have a set or RSR's like the ones Rick described. They also came from a 97 Twin turbo which was updated to Motons. If you are interested, PM me or email me at zamoraal@aol.com.
Thanks,
AL Z
Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Peter,

Yes they are no longer on the car. For reasons I still question I thought I would try the 10's. Funny just like Al Z mine came off a 97 turbo S. Maybe they were the trick update for the day.

I am not going to take the time to switch back. If Al's deal does not work out for you mine are available as well (with springs) since it is clean up the shop fire sale time.

Rick
Old 09-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Peter,

You can also send these shocks to Bilstein and for $90 each they will revalve them. So if you buy a set that requires a valving change or rebuild they offer that service.

Rick
Old 09-11-2010, 01:19 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Thank you both for the replies. I don't have any $$$ right now to purchase, I am just trying to do my homework so that when the big day comes I can make the best decision. That is unless one of you is practically givng them away
What did you NOT like about the RSR's that made you want to switch to Motons/PSS10's?
Did the RSR's require camber plates?
Thanks again,
Peter

Quick Reply: Anyone Using Bilstein MSP Series Coilovers?