Sponsored by:

oil cooler fan question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Priceless
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil cooler fan question

ok, i have spent all day searching through the previous posts on this topic and reading p-car.com comments and solutions on the same topic. however, i still have questions.

so, here is the issue:
1. never have a problem here where i live (tulsa) where it gets really hot. however, i never sit in traffic.
2. i just returned from houston trip without any real issues but did notice something. in houston and dallas stop/go traffic in hot weather, my oil temp guage would hit about 10 o'clock (line just below the red). never got higher and didn't hit red.
3. get car back up to speed and temp drops down to usual place 7-8 o'clock.
4. after reading posts today, checked several items.
5. right fender is hot after a drive and left fender is cool (but i knew this has always been the case). oil cooler behind passenger headlight is hot. also note the temp go up in initial driving to about 8 o'clock (1st real line) and then drop just below which likely is the oil thermostat opening.
6. fuse to oil blower is fine but tried another 30 fuse anyway.
7. relay is fine. tried it in the ac blower spot and it worked fine in that spot.
8. removed passenger headlight and "unpluged" the connection and the high speed fan came on after starting engine and waiting 30-60 seconds. so, fan should be good. don't really want to leave this off considering i usually never have this issue since i don't sit in traffic.
9. so, i assume it is my ballast/resistor. i don't know how to jump the fuse box as suggested on p-car.com and a little worried i might fry something that could be an expensive mistake. this should let me know if the slow fan works or not and if it is the resistor.
10. also, i am not 100% sure my "slow" fan doesn't work. i don't hear the fan or feel the fan blowing under right front when i get temp to about 8:30. unfortunately, it isn't hot enough here today for me to get temp up even driving around town or sitting by my garage. i wasn't smart enough to get out in texas and test for fan blowing when temp was higher. therefore, the slow fan may actually work and the car just hit that temp b/c stop and go traffic in heat???

so, should i just change resistor (cheap fix) and forget about it??? I don't think it could be anything else. i assume the ccu is fine since high speed fan works? its definetly not the oil thermostat. so, this is all that is left.

other question would be: is there any harm in mounting the new resistor to a different location since others have mentioned this as solution to the hard to get to location of oem resistor. they just unplug and connect new resistor and leave old resistor mounted in same location and find new location for new resistor.

sorry for all the verbage and THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, new resistors can be relocated. There are threads on this. When I changed to the euro turbo front bumper, I replaced the ac/oil resistors and mounted where they can be reached through the headlight cavity. The ac resistor is a PIA to remove, so I just broke it out knowing I was going to relocate. You can extend the ac resistor by soldering the old resitor wires on to it to reach a favorable location.This is not needed for the oil resistor. Sorry, no pics of ac resistor relocation.
resistor:
Name:  DSC00630.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  145.5 KB
oil resistor relocated to interior wall:
Name:  DSC00626.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  109.5 KB
Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a look here: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...Oil_Cooler_Fan

This should answer all your questions.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:38 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

your assumption is correct, resistor is done.
with a new resistor my gauge goes to just above 9 o'clock before the slow fan comes on, then back to just below 9 o'clcock.
the only way I can tell the fan is on is to get the car hot and feel for the air blowing, low speed is very quiet.

changing the ballast isn't really that bad, you just have to remove some things.
once you get in there you'll see there are many places that it can be moved. just keep it in airflow, over heating will kill it again.
jumping the terminals as instructed on p-car isn't a big deal, just get a little wire and connect 30 and
87c to confirm slow speed doesn't work.

easiest quickest fix is to run the fan in high speed at the normal low speed setting. to accomplish this you want to jump 87 and 87c. see these posts for discussion-

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...t-i-think.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...relay-diy.html
Old 09-09-2010, 05:18 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any downside to running at high speed at the normal low speed?
Old 09-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Cliff Brown
4th Gear

2. i just returned from houston trip without any real issues but did notice something. in houston and dallas stop/go traffic in hot weather, my oil temp guage would hit about 10 o'clock (line just below the red). never got higher and didn't hit red.
3. get car back up to speed and temp drops down to usual place 7-8 o'clock.

I experience the same conditions in my '96 with Tiptronic.

When the temp registers about 9:30 to 10:00 on the gage I hear the oil cooler fan go to high speed.

The temp doesn't continue to climb and the cooler with the fan at high speed seems to be doing it's job cycling on and off to keep the temp within a certain range.

In my case with the Tiptronic the engine oil cooler and the transmission oil cooler mounted together and sharing the same cooling fan result in a bit higher temps.

I don't know if this is normal for all Tiptronic 993 in stop and go traffic with hot weather.

When driving my '95 with 6 speed manual the temps seem to stay lower in the same conditions.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Priceless
Racer

quit raining in tulsa last night and the temps are inceasing today. so, took her out for a spin to try and get her hot (no, my car). anyway, tried to immitate stop and go traffic on back streets. could only get her up to 9:30/10:00. got out and looked through fins in passenger bumper...fan wasn't moving. however, i heard it kick in, pulled over and noted it was blowing but on high. therefore, i am 99.9% sure it is the ballast resistor that is out and not allowing my "slow" fan to kick in. guess i will be ordering this today from pelican.

FYI: you can see the fan through the fins in the passenger side and this alleviates trying to determine if the "slow" fan is on or not. it is obvious with the fast fan...it blows just like the ac fan on opposite side.

thanks for all the help and advise. if it keeps going above 9 after slow fan resistor gets changed, i will consider the info above about jumping to get the high fan to turn on instead of the low fan.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best to change the resistor, but one alternative would be to put in a oil cooler fan switch - especially handy for autocrossing due to the waiting time in line to run, but I like it for heavy city traffic as well.

I used a fog light switch mounted in the dash in the blank next to the other fog light switch. Haven't taken the time to figure how to get the switch lamp to light, as the switch is out for fan off and in for on.

Instuctions on P-Car,com, involves splitting a wire on the climate control unit.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:20 AM
Priceless
Racer

ok, changed the oil cooler fan resistor tonight. I got tired of trying to get into that hard to reach place under lightbox so just relocated it. if i would have done that first i would have been done alot sooner i put it along the medial side above the oil cooler and medial to the headlight (so just behind were it usually sits). i think this is where others have relocated. tested the relay and everything works great!

tomorrow is the airconditioner fan cooler resistor hope it goes as well. any suggestions where to mount it...not going to fight with its location.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Priceless
Racer

actually same location as tommyg above...thanks for help.

Quick Reply: oil cooler fan question