Sponsored by:

RS engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Roger, I have the Wevo mounts on my 993TT. There is a difference. There is a slight, very slight, vibration and a little, very little, cabin noise. I don't mind either and prefer the more connected feeling. Because of your concerns I would go with the RS mounts. The other option is to find someone in your area with the Wevo mounts and take it for a ride. Good luck.
Hi Chuck, thanks. When you removed your stock mounts, were they shot? And did you pic blue or black? Would be nice to ride in a car with these, if there is someone in the Sacramento area with these could you pm me?

Originally Posted by 993James993
Hi Roger, My car has the RS Clutch/LWF which is considered a noisy mod, at least at idle. With that in mind, I did not notice any additional noises with the Wevo's.
Hearing this comment make me think I might be okay with the Wevos. It's funny, I'm seeing comments ranging from "These were so loud I took them off and went stock again" to what you just noted, little or no difference.

I guess I could buy the Wevos and sell them if they were too loud but kind of a PITA to do that. I think there is a risk of incremental noise increases to the point the car becomes fatiguing to drive any kind of distance.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:33 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I installed the RS mounts in my turbo late last year. No noticeable difference to me in loudness or vibration but my car already had a LWF, RS shifter and golden rod mod as well as modified exhaust. If I were to do it again I would go with Wevos rather than the RS mount, and since it's a turbo the strength of the carrier is a non-issue.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:35 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by David in LA
I installed the RS mounts in my turbo late last year. No noticeable difference to me in loudness or vibration but my car already had a LWF, RS shifter and golden rod mod as well as modified exhaust. If I were to do it again I would go with Wevos rather than the RS mount, and since it's a turbo the strength of the carrier is a non-issue.
What's not to like about the RSs?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
What's not to like about the RSs?
Nothing at all....but the Wevo's are cheaper and stiffer and overall better value for money IMHO. Only potential issues are noise and the carrier, neither of which are issues for me for this particular car.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by David in LA
Nothing at all....but the Wevo's are cheaper and stiffer and overall better value for money IMHO. Only potential issues are noise and the carrier, neither of which are issues for me for this particular car.
Okay, appreciate the responses, thanks!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:20 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Thought I would drop back into this thread and share my experience on this topic. After reading as many threads as I could I decided the safer route was the factory RS mounts rather than the Wevos. There were more complaints of noise with the Wevos than the RSs and this was my focus more than a possible increase in vibration. I've lost some hearing over the years and as a result am very sensitive to certain levels of noise and especially droning type frequencies. So, went with the RS mounts and am very pleased.

Here's my impressions:

There is an increase in vibration felt in the car. It's not much but it is there. However, I actually like it. The car feels a little more raw and alive.

I can feel the slightest throttle change immediately and the car feels more connected to the gas pedal than before.

I've not noticed any appreciable change in cabin noise. Did a 250 mile trip last Saturday and was very happy with the way they worked.

Did not help my squishy feeling rear suspension. In turns, if I hit a bump, the car still squirms or wiggles. It still feels slightly "loose". On the recent FD bbq we hit some roads that were less than smooth and I could feel it moving around. Maybe this is the nature of the beast because several other drivers also commented on the characteristic. Seems odd though because the 944s I've driven don't do this. Anyway, some had posted that changing to the RS mounts made dramatic improvements in handling but in those case, it appears their stock mounts had failed and in my case, the mounts were still in decent shape. I will say the car does seem to respond slightly better or more accurately to steering input so there is a slight improvement, just not really dramatic. Next on the agenda is a corner balance.

Would I do this again? Yes, definitely. I like the more raw feel and the way the car seems more alive.

Last edited by 1pcarnut; 10-03-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Hi Chuck, thanks. When you removed your stock mounts, were they shot? And did you pic blue or black?.
A tad late.... congrates on getting some mounts you're happy with. In the end, that is all that counts.

My turbo mounts were fine when I removed them. And I have the softer black pillows.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile Did the 993 RS motor mounts and...

...the 993 RS tranny mount...got them from Rennlist sponsor Gert Carnewal in Belgium. Great service an an electronic that will blow you away.

If you want the sweet set up:
1. 993 RS motor mounts
2. 993 Tranny Mount
3. SSK from FD Motorsports
4. Golden Rod from FD motorsports
5. Throw on a set of Fister Stage III
6. Chris Walrod's front suspension bushing

Stop, stop...I am possessed by the slippery slope demon. I do have all of the above and am one happy camper.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a good thread. I am now to decide on new MM as well...
Old 01-09-2011, 11:02 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
...the 993 RS tranny mount...got them from Rennlist sponsor Gert Carnewal in Belgium. Great service an an electronic that will blow you away.

If you want the sweet set up:
1. 993 RS motor mounts
2. 993 Tranny Mount
3. SSK from FD Motorsports
4. Golden Rod from FD motorsports
5. Throw on a set of Fister Stage III
6. Chris Walrod's front suspension bushing

Stop, stop...I am possessed by the slippery slope demon. I do have all of the above and am one happy camper.
Im going to be doing the motor mounts next...haven't decided between RS and Wevo blacks...now I see items 1-6...I have 3,4,5 and 6 is on the list...
The tranny mount? The slippery slope just got longer...
Old 01-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Man this certainly is not clear for me at all. I was thinking of upgraded my mounts, but now its Wevo or RS? RS or Wevo? Cab mounts.....sigh.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike J
Man this certainly is not clear for me at all. I was thinking of upgraded my mounts, but now its Wevo or RS? RS or Wevo? Cab mounts.....sigh.
Still pleased with my RSs, think I made the right choice for me. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:16 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Aside from cost, the RS mounts are the "no-brainer" easy choice...with Wevos you still need to consider (i) possible increased noise; and (ii) whether you need to reinforce the engine carrier (if not a turbo)...some say no reinforcement needed if you don't track the car, but IIRC almost every shop will advise you to do the reinforcement.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really happy with my RS mounts. With the other changes I have made I feel that I've reached a great compromise between comfort and the slightly raw edge I was looking for.

Vibrations through the car are not an issue. I can 'feel' the engine more though my seat, but it's never uncomfortable. I've taken the development of my car in stages, going from tired M030 dampers, to new M033 dampers with M030 springs (which I perceived as being slightly soft for me), to Bilstein HDs, which felt more suitable. Fitting the RS engine mounts seemed to take the car to another level, as if they had helped the HDs realise their true potential. The car felt stiffer, but not compromised and combined with a full geo set up, it's an entirely different car in terms of control, traction, grip, predictability and steering feel.

I am going for Chris Walrod's front suspension bushings at the next service, followed by an RS tranny mount, LWF and clutch when my stock clutch bites the dust.

Then I'll stop.....won't I??? Please make it stop!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:40 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cristel...thanks for your feedback. Did you reinforce your engine carrier?

Also, you will love the Walrod bushings.

Quick Reply: RS engine mounts