Sponsored by:

RS engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts
Default a nice upgrade

my stock mounts show no sign of wear/failure-in fact, they are in good enough shape to probably list for sale for someone.

So many changes all at once to my car, including the blue Wevo's

Walrod bushings, new rubber all around-Hankook Ventus Evo's, a street friendly alignment with Euro RS spec camber settings, new distributor(belt change)caps and rotors also. The condition of those pieces are deserving of a new thread.

Anyway, 100 miles of highway, and a brief 20 miles of twisties, and the difference is dramatic to say the least.

It's gonna take some more miles to really appreciate the difference, but...the Wevo's just plant the car under acceleration. I believe there is a slight increase in noise/vibration, I don't think it's the new tires either. Nothing intrusive, but a noticeable change in how the engine feels/sounds.

Take that impression with a grain of salt, just because so much was changed all at once. The sum certainly seems greater than the individual pieces though.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Default here's why

Joel reiser(PCA tech chairman for 993's)sent this description to me this morning in an email. He asked for my initial impressions on the drive home yesterday, considering all I just had done. I told him sometimes(alright...all the time), I mentally convince myself of a problem or a fix. Am I really competent enough to "feel"the difference with the Wevo's.

His remarks about the real improvement from installing stiffer motor mounts is interesting.

so..."The motor mounts are not a mental-factor item, it is for real. If you put the car in the air on a lift, and lightly rev the motor (in neutral), the entire car rolls to the right (clockwise roll for the driver). That is because of the torque on the flywheel. The firmer motor mounts reduce the amount of that rotation in actual driving.

Next, when you turn the car, the motor wants to go straight. So what happens is the motor moves over toward the side of the car on the outside of the turn. That causes a whiplash pendulum effect on the rear suspension. The firmer motor mounts cancel that out."
Old 09-04-2010, 11:56 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

on the DIY, I did it myself in a short period of time. rear on jackstands and using the jack to support the engine. you just need 1 or 2 long extensions from below, maybe a stubby for the top and a torque wrench to get it back together. both p-car and jackals racetrack have good instructions.
the only extra hassle is getting the aircon lines out of the way on the drivers side.

wevo or RS mounts? the price is fairly close and I think the big deal will just be new mounts rather than the difference between the two.
I went with wevo simply because next time I can swap in new pillows for 20 bucks(you can buy them seperately) rather than buy whole new mounts for 300+.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to do this. When I got the car it needed the Walrod bushings in front which made a very nice difference. But, the back end feels unsettled, like a pendulum swing around, as others have described. After looking over numerous threads, here's what I'm seeing:

Factory RS mounts from Sunset are $355
Wevo mounts are $300 and only $30 for new inserts.

I like the idea of factory parts on the car and the $55 is not a deal breaker either way but the rebuild-able Wevo looks appealing too. I doubt I'll wear either set in my lifetime although I guess they would deteriorate with age. Functionally they both look to be an improvement however I don't think I've not seen any noise complaints regarding the factory mounts but have seen a few regarding the Wevos. So, is if fair to say the Wevos have a better chance of causing unwanted drone/noise?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
I need to do this. When I got the car it needed the Walrod bushings in front which made a very nice difference. But, the back end feels unsettled, like a pendulum swing around, as others have described. After looking over numerous threads, here's what I'm seeing:

Factory RS mounts from Sunset are $355
Wevo mounts are $300 and only $30 for new inserts.

I like the idea of factory parts on the car and the $55 is not a deal breaker either way but the rebuild-able Wevo looks appealing too. I doubt I'll wear either set in my lifetime although I guess they would deteriorate with age. Functionally they both look to be an improvement however I don't think I've not seen any noise complaints regarding the factory mounts but have seen a few regarding the Wevos. So, is if fair to say the Wevos have a better chance of causing unwanted drone/noise?

In my case, the Wevo's give some verbal feedback around 3k rpm's, but just seem to help trumpet the motor at higher rpm's. Sounds incredible at(or near) full song. I believe there is a little more cabin noise at highway speed also-around 75mph. But...where is that additional noise/slight decrease in ride quality actually coming from...thw Walrod bushings, my new tires, the Wevo's, or a combination thereof?

regardless, the car is now holy $hit planted. So...this is how it should drive huh?

Two things..

my "spirited" driving skills have diminished greatly over the last 9 years

I need a radar detector-think I'm gonna start researching the hidden/built in ones. Rear view mirror or tach for display's seem kinda cool. Any thoughts/reccomendations?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...the entire car rolls to the right...magdaddy
And here I thought it was only aircraft, that were subject to "p-factor"...

Too bad we can't feed in a bit of left rudder...
Old 09-04-2010, 07:31 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
In my case, the Wevo's give some verbal feedback around 3k rpm's, but just seem to help trumpet the motor at higher rpm's. Sounds incredible at(or near) full song. I believe there is a little more cabin noise at highway speed also-around 75mph. But...where is that additional noise/slight decrease in ride quality actually coming from...thw Walrod bushings, my new tires, the Wevo's, or a combination thereof?

regardless, the car is now holy $hit planted. So...this is how it should drive huh?

Two things..

my "spirited" driving skills have diminished greatly over the last 9 years

I need a radar detector-think I'm gonna start researching the hidden/built in ones. Rear view mirror or tach for display's seem kinda cool. Any thoughts/reccomendations?
Thanks for the feedback. I was all set to order the Wevo blacks but then the consensus was that there's not much difference between the blue and black versions. Now I'm leaning towards the RSs.

Can't help you too much with radar thing but I think I remember Robin making or having a DIY on pcar.com. Used a Valentine IIRC and mounted the display in the tach.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the wevo blacks but can't comment on the noise since I have a cab.
I did notice the extra vibration at start up the first time, but now it seems normal.
staying with factory parts is a pretty cool idea and a good theme for a car, worth the extra 50 bucks or so for RS mounts if that's your direction.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

The wevos are simply a higher quality piece. The extra NVH is basically non-existent.

I can't see any reason to go with with the RS over the wevos. Not to mention, a $30 set of pillows and your wevos are brand new.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Here is an old thread you may find interesting.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nt-thread.html
Old 09-05-2010, 09:24 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993James993
Here is an old thread you may find interesting.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nt-thread.html
Good thread, thanks, that one didn't come up when I searched. I assume you're still pleased with your choice of the Wevos over the RSs? And why would you have chosen the blues instead?

Last edited by 1pcarnut; 09-06-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:32 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Good thread, thanks, that one didn't come up when I searched. I assume you're still please with your choice of the Wevos over the RSs? And why would you have chosen the blues instead?
Both the RS and Wevo's are excellent. No appreciable difference that I can tell, although I did not switch them between the two cars as someone requested. The advantage of the Wevo's is that you can replace the rubber for a fraction of the cost of the entire mounts. If I recall correctly once the RS mounts wear out, the entire mount must be replaced.

The blue inserts are stiffer. I went with the blacks because the feedback was that the blues were too stiff. I now doubt that.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993James993
The blue inserts are stiffer. I went with the blacks because the feedback was that the blues were too stiff. I now doubt that.
Do you mean you doubt the blues are too stiff, or that the blacks are not any softer than the blues? If it's the latter then this would lean me towards the RS mounts. They seemed to have fewer complaints for unwanted noise. If there was no discernible difference between the RS and Wevos I would buy the Wevos, but in the end I don't want more noise in the car.

Spent several hours last night searching more archives on this. Was thinking maybe a C4 mount would be a good compromise since some said they were in between the C2 and RS in stiffness. One guy ended up with C4 mounts by mistake and upon bench top comparison they had more movement in them than the stock C2 version.

I know this has been flogged to death in many threads, I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by 1pcarnut; 09-06-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Roger, I have the Wevo mounts on my 993TT. There is a difference. There is a slight, very slight, vibration and a little, very little, cabin noise. I don't mind either and prefer the more connected feeling. Because of your concerns I would go with the RS mounts. The other option is to find someone in your area with the Wevo mounts and take it for a ride. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:25 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Hi Roger,

I can't comment with any accuracy on the noise. My son's 964 with RS mounts is fitted with a g-pipe and he removed the engine sound pad. It's loud.

My car has the RS Clutch/LWF which is considered a noisy mod, at least at idle. With that in mind, I did not notice any additional noises with the Wevo's.

I doubt that the blues are too stiff.

When I bought my car it had 996 turbo look 18" wheels and some hard tires. I replaced those wheels with stock 17" cup II's and I think that reduced the noise somewhat.

Quick Reply: RS engine mounts