Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:49 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just installed the DDM 55W kit. What a difference! Very easy install and everything fit right into the housing. This upgrade is a no brainer. The stock lights are so dull. After installing these, the high beams barely make a difference. Now not sure what to do with fog lamps as they look really yellow now. Only issue I had was the dremmel operation on the first light was pretty extensive. The second light took under 5 min. I guess the fit was a little tighter on the first light.

Last edited by mstolo; 05-15-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the DDM 35 watt kit for your fogs. Same idea, different lights.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:15 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

LED running lights are a good match colorwise too.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:07 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where can I order the 55W kit? does DDM have a website?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 05-15-2011, 04:09 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

I think the standard color is 4500k Nice upgrade
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 PM
mstolo
Instructor

I did the 55w and the 4500k brightness. They are very white...for me, I'm glad I didnt go any higher.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Will the 55W kit get too hot? also, DDM has two options, one for the HID harness, which I beleive make the kit Plug & Play? and another for an "Error Eliminator" which I am not sure what it is for? Any thoughts??? I want a slight bluish tint to the lights, should I go with 8000K/55W it says that the 55W kit washes out the color a little? They say to go with an 8000K bulb color if you want the color output of a 6000K/35W kit??? I am unsure of what to buy??
Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Bobby G
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Same Q for me. There are all of these "add ons" and I'm not sure which is necessary. For those of you who upgraded from 35W to 55W HIDs, let us know the difference and which is closer to stock litronics.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

I think 55W would be OTT. More heat and probably poorer choice for the stock non OEM Litronic housings. Remember the standard light units were not designed to handle xenon HID's and direction towards on-coming traffic may not be optimal.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:30 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Here is what I ordered:

Porsche 993 HID Upgrade Kit
HID Bulb Color: 4500K OEM [4500K]
Application: Low Beam [H1]
Wattage: 55W (+$10.00)
HIDDDMPCAR

I think you just order the slim ballast, and specify that its for a 993. You don't have to order any adapters. They used to have an adapter kit for the 993, but I think they got rid of it as an add on. Just specify 993 and you should be good.

Everything was plug and play. One of the connectors had to be crimped to mate with the original connector (I think it was the ground) and I taped it to be safe, but its very secure. I have had no issues with the 55W, and I'm glad I went with them - it was a tight fit, but they did get in. Looks like the 35W's are a little smaller, so might fit easier. From the posts I have read, I didn't see any issues on it getting too hot. These ballasts are thin and you can get everything into the light housing (you do not have to cut a hole) and then just clamp them down. Its beautiful. Besides having to drummel down the sides to get the bulb to fit, it is stupid easy to put together.

I did not want my car to look like a tuner and went with the 4500 k brightness w55W. They are very white, almost approaching the blue-ish tint. I would think the 5000k w55W would definitely have some blue, and I personally would not go beyond 6000k, I would think they would be quite blue.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:34 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed both a 55W H1 kit for the low beams and a 35W H3 kit for the foglights this past Friday. Easy to do. just order the standard kits for each, it comes with all you need. Only two things different were that the kit no longer comes with the bullet connector for the ground wire (has a spade instead) so I picked up some at Home Depot and they don't ship with two sided tape anymore either so if you are doing the foglights you'll need to pick some up to mount your ballasts.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Bobby G
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, I ordered the 35W H1 kit in 5000K. I'll report back after I get it and install it. I might later opt for the 55W 4500K....
Old 06-13-2011, 07:24 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bobby G
Ok, I ordered the 35W H1 kit in 5000K. I'll report back after I get it and install it. ..
That's what I'm using. Very happy with the look. You won't be disappointed.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:43 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Originally Posted by TRM
So those of you who have done this know it's not really worth a very elaborate write-up since it is extremely simple. However since I had to uninstall and then reinstall set of these due to a failed ballast I thought I'd snap some pictures during the process. Perhaps the pictures will aid those in the future related to HID installs. I know I've been helped immensely by others on this forum who have attached a picture related to something technical.

One note about the DDM kit for the 993. If you do it correctly it is 100% reversible. And it is fast if you have to reverse it. This can come in handy since they technically are not legal since you don't have any automatic leveling adjustment for them (or in cockpit manual adjustment). So if during an inspection they are wise enough to find this out and "call" you on it...you could quickly reverse to stock and still pass inspection.

Also now that I think of it the DDM kit came with an additional adhesive gasket implying that you might need to mess with the wiring on the light housing connection to the car...it's totally not necessary unless you opt for some exotic, hard to reverse install.

On to it....

Here is what 1/2 of the kit should look like. You have the large flat ballast and various connections for the bulb. Two things to note: SAVE the plastic containers for your stock bulbs...keep them in the car with the stock bulbs protected inside...as I noted above...can come in handy during an inspection if you have to temporarily reverse to pass.

SECOND thing to note is the Black and Red connections coming out of the ballast. These were nicely designed to snap or insert directly into the stock wiring of the 993. NO CUTTING or splicing required.

Step 1: Remove the existing bulb and pull off the wiring connections. To remove the bulb you have to undue the spring clip. To remove the wiring the YELLOW wire connection to the back of the bulb just slips off. The BROWN wire connection to the light housing slides off but will likely take some working or a strong pull to get it to slide off.

STEP 2: Provide clearance for the HID bulb. Here is the housing with the stock bulb and wiring disconnected. Almost all that I've seen via Search on Rennlist have had to do a very minor adjustment to the housing with a small file at this point. This is because the HID bulb is slightly larger than stock. You don't need to go crazy either trying to remove metal so the HID bulb slides nicely into the slot. Take a little off at a time and try inserting the bulb. I would also advise doing it with the opening facing down when you file so metal shavings don't accumulate on the light housing lens.

Avoid touching the bulb - I recall someone once said it's not good to get hand oils and contaminants on HID bulbs. Don't know if this is just a myth...but you really don't nee to touch the bulb anyway for this.

Step 3: Adjust the spring clip. At this point you will realize the spring clip needs some adjustment. Think about it. And bend it so it captures the rubber base of the bulb but still catches to the tang of the metal housing keeping the bulb secure.

Step 4: Attach the wiring. The wiring of the kit is essentially "stupid proof". You can't really mess it up except for the Black and Red connections to the stock wiring.

The BLACK kit connection will insert into the round slot of the BROWN stock wiring. Insert it and then wrap it once with some electrical tape.

The RED kit connection inserts into the back of the plastic connector of the RED stock wiring. Insert it and the wrap it once with some electrical tape.

Step 5: Pack the wiring and ballast. Now it's time to stuff all that good stuff into the housing. You may want to give it a few tries before putting the cover on.

Drop back into your 993, put the key in, turn to ON, turn on the lights and make sure you have a beautiful HID bulb shining bright.

Step 6: Repeat. Repeat for the other side.

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you can suggest any changes/improvements to this little DIY.
Just one question, you don't mention the 'yellow' wire that you remove from the stock bulb, what do you do with it? Nothing? You say the 'brown' stock wire connects to the black kit wire...but the yellow is not used? Did you say 'Red' and mean 'yellow'?
Sorry to be a dummy...

Jim

Quick Reply: DDM Tuning HID Install DIY