993 Forum 1995-1998

DDM Tuning HID Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts
Default DDM Tuning HID Install DIY

So those of you who have done this know it's not really worth a very elaborate write-up since it is extremely simple. However since I had to uninstall and then reinstall set of these due to a failed ballast I thought I'd snap some pictures during the process. Perhaps the pictures will aid those in the future related to HID installs. I know I've been helped immensely by others on this forum who have attached a picture related to something technical.

One note about the DDM kit for the 993. If you do it correctly it is 100% reversible. And it is fast if you have to reverse it. This can come in handy since they technically are not legal since you don't have any automatic leveling adjustment for them (or in cockpit manual adjustment). So if during an inspection they are wise enough to find this out and "call" you on it...you could quickly reverse to stock and still pass inspection.

Also now that I think of it the DDM kit came with an additional adhesive gasket implying that you might need to mess with the wiring on the light housing connection to the car...it's totally not necessary unless you opt for some exotic, hard to reverse install.

On to it....

Here is what 1/2 of the kit should look like. You have the large flat ballast and various connections for the bulb. Two things to note: SAVE the plastic containers for your stock bulbs...keep them in the car with the stock bulbs protected inside...as I noted above...can come in handy during an inspection if you have to temporarily reverse to pass.

SECOND thing to note is the Black and Red connections coming out of the ballast. These were nicely designed to snap or insert directly into the stock wiring of the 993. NO CUTTING or splicing required.

Step 1: Remove the existing bulb and pull off the wiring connections. To remove the bulb you have to undue the spring clip. To remove the wiring the YELLOW wire connection to the back of the bulb just slips off. The BROWN wire connection to the light housing slides off but will likely take some working or a strong pull to get it to slide off.

STEP 2: Provide clearance for the HID bulb. Here is the housing with the stock bulb and wiring disconnected. Almost all that I've seen via Search on Rennlist have had to do a very minor adjustment to the housing with a small file at this point. This is because the HID bulb is slightly larger than stock. You don't need to go crazy either trying to remove metal so the HID bulb slides nicely into the slot. Take a little off at a time and try inserting the bulb. I would also advise doing it with the opening facing down when you file so metal shavings don't accumulate on the light housing lens.

Avoid touching the bulb - I recall someone once said it's not good to get hand oils and contaminants on HID bulbs. Don't know if this is just a myth...but you really don't nee to touch the bulb anyway for this.

Step 3: Adjust the spring clip. At this point you will realize the spring clip needs some adjustment. Think about it. And bend it so it captures the rubber base of the bulb but still catches to the tang of the metal housing keeping the bulb secure.

Step 4: Attach the wiring. The wiring of the kit is essentially "stupid proof". You can't really mess it up except for the Black and Red connections to the stock wiring.

The BLACK kit connection will insert into the round slot of the BROWN stock wiring. Insert it and then wrap it once with some electrical tape.

The RED kit connection inserts into the back of the plastic connector of the RED stock wiring. Insert it and the wrap it once with some electrical tape.

Step 5: Pack the wiring and ballast. Now it's time to stuff all that good stuff into the housing. You may want to give it a few tries before putting the cover on.

Drop back into your 993, put the key in, turn to ON, turn on the lights and make sure you have a beautiful HID bulb shining bright.

Step 6: Repeat. Repeat for the other side.

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you can suggest any changes/improvements to this little DIY.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up. Tried to do mine this weekend only to realize they sent me the wrong bulbs. Sent their customer support an email with pics and four days later they have still not gotten back to me.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Thanks for the write up. Tried to do mine this weekend only to realize they sent me the wrong bulbs. Sent their customer support an email with pics and four days later they have still not gotten back to me.
Sounds like the monkeys at DDM do this all the time. Bet they sent you H11's and not the correct H1's.

Good write up btw and I can confirm the install is 100% reversible and only takes mins. Had to send my bulbs back due to a manufacturing problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Sounds like the monkeys at DDM do this all the time. Bet they sent you H11's and not the correct H1's.

Good write up btw and I can confirm the install is 100% reversible and only takes mins. Had to send my bulbs back due to a manufacturing problem.
Yup, H11s. They promise to get back to you within 24hr on their site. Should I be holding my breath?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thought so. I called directly and spoke to a real person. I think you'll get a faster response. Be warned they can keep you on hold for a long time.
They emailed me a return label and sent out the replacement bulbs USPS as soon as they received the returns.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 AM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nicely done. Here's a slightly different layout

Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up...I didnt think about "packing the ballast"...I love this place...thanks!

Roger...DO NOT hold your breath or you will end as blue as your car. DDM customer service is cold.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 AM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice write-up and photos. Did you install the 35 or 55W units?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:10 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice write up, looks easy and I like the hidden ballast. Since I'm in San Diego, I think I'll drop in and pick a set up.

If anyone on the board if frustrated with DDM's customer service I'm happy to help out. I can easily make returns or exchanges and help with shipping if customer service let's you down. Just let me know, they're 10 minutes from my office.

Nick
Old 09-02-2010, 04:56 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Yup, H11s. They promise to get back to you within 24hr on their site. Should I be holding my breath?
+1. Also sent me H11s. I messed with one for a while before realizing it wasn't meant to fit. I didn't have much trouble getting someone from DDM on the phone. They told me not to bother returning the wrong bulbs (probably after looking at the pic of how I had filed the first bulb base to make it fit a 993 housing). They sent me a tracking number and shipped the correct replacements quickly (arrived in PA in four days). Unfortunately, they didn't say which carrier was used (USPS the second time and FedEx the first) so I couldn't track them.

I got 35 W and 5000K. Next time I might get 4000K or similar as 5000 was somewhat whiter than I expected. They work great though.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SC2993
Nice write-up and photos. Did you install the 35 or 55W units?
I did the 55w kit. It's decent...huge difference over the stock non-HID bulbs.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:11 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Thought so. I called directly and spoke to a real person. I think you'll get a faster response. Be warned they can keep you on hold for a long time.
They emailed me a return label and sent out the replacement bulbs USPS as soon as they received the returns.
Originally Posted by ABCar
Nice write up...I didnt think about "packing the ballast"...I love this place...thanks!

Roger...DO NOT hold your breath or you will end as blue as your car. DDM customer service is cold.
Originally Posted by NickyP
Nice write up, looks easy and I like the hidden ballast. Since I'm in San Diego, I think I'll drop in and pick a set up.

If anyone on the board if frustrated with DDM's customer service I'm happy to help out. I can easily make returns or exchanges and help with shipping if customer service let's you down. Just let me know, they're 10 minutes from my office.

Nick
Originally Posted by JimPA
+1. Also sent me H11s. I messed with one for a while before realizing it wasn't meant to fit. I didn't have much trouble getting someone from DDM on the phone. They told me not to bother returning the wrong bulbs (probably after looking at the pic of how I had filed the first bulb base to make it fit a 993 housing). They sent me a tracking number and shipped the correct replacements quickly (arrived in PA in four days). Unfortunately, they didn't say which carrier was used (USPS the second time and FedEx the first) so I couldn't track them.

I got 35 W and 5000K. Next time I might get 4000K or similar as 5000 was somewhat whiter than I expected. They work great though.
Thanks everyone, guess it's time to start calling, still no reply to second email. Nick, appreciate the offer of a local pick up. I'll give them a chance to make it right then if it's still no joy then I'll take you up on the offer, thanks!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TRM
SECOND thing to note is the Black and Red connections coming out of the ballast. These were nicely designed to snap or insert directly into the stock wiring of the 993. NO CUTTING or splicing required....

...The BLACK kit connection will insert into the round slot of the BROWN stock wiring. Insert it and then wrap it once with some electrical tape.
Nice work. It's good to see you can make the black kit to brown stock ground wire connection without the need to cut off the kit's flat 'blade' connector and crimping on a new bullet connector to mate with the stock female bullet on the brown wire. Does the blade fit tight?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:58 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Nice work. It's good to see you can make the black kit to brown stock ground wire connection without the need to cut off the kit's flat 'blade' connector and crimping on a new bullet connector to mate with the stock female bullet on the brown wire. Does the blade fit tight?
Yes it does. I still wrapped 'em once with e-tape because I'm paranoid. But you have to really pull at them for it to come loose.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:29 PM
cmat
Racer

Did you use the generic DDM kit or the specific version for the 993? Does anyone know what the difference is besides cost?

Quick Reply: DDM Tuning HID Install DIY