Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who would like to see a 997 Sport Classic Duck Tail development on this project?
997 Sport Classic Duck Tail for this project
56.41%
Stay with stock Duck Tail which we've ordered from the US
43.59%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Project Battle Ship - AKA L63A Sport Classic 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 PM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

loooove your wheels! are they for sale?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:27 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow... very impressed so far!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

would you make me one of those ducktails while you're at it please
Old 10-19-2010, 02:10 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I just had to post this one for you

Thanks for the compliments guy’s and yes the ducktail will be available shortly along which what else is on the horizon and in development

Ok another quick update for today which is a little off-topic but as we all like Euro Boxes I thought you’d like to see some pictures of a friends project car which shares a similarity with this project in the form of the colour.

Whilst researching the L63A colour code and the OEM Glasurit paint supplier to Porsche at the very infancy of this project I received a very short and to the point email asking if I’d found the details I was searching for regards the paint. After exchanging many emails with Jos located in the South of the Netherlands, it transpired that he was undertaking a ground up extensive rebuild of an old Opel Rekord and he wished to paint the car in the very same colour as the 997 Sport Classic after having seen one in person at a local Porsche dealers.

Below are some of the many pictures of Jos’s car since we have been exchanging emails and he’s catching up with me fast

^ I just love the simplicity and clean lines of this car and especially the interior. Next he will start to paint the strips and then it’s assembly time for his project also when all the fun begins!

Jos is going for the subtle "Euro" look like alot of the MK1 VW projects seen in recent years in Europe

As Jos’s project develops I’ll continue to add a few pics along the way for those interested
Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
future
Banned

Another quick update ... I've just flexed our company credit card with a spend in the form of a Turbo S chin spoiler for the new Turbo bumper I already have and some Turbo (widebody) side skirts for me to remodel to fit this project and then the slop went vertical ... Had a catch up call with my business partner in Switzerland and we've agreed to buy a Cayman and 964 RSA as the next internal projects and will put down a deposit with Porsche for an early order for the next 911 as another project = probably no pay check for the both of us this month and the following

I will await the boxes to arrive shortly and there will be another spend tomorrow for this project as we want it finished ASAP ready for the next 993 which we have planned for
Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Instructor

I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts and await more. I'm sure that both your vision, and skills are admired by many of us.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:21 PM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

great craftsmanship! i really like the modified ducktail with the 993OEM-grille...
Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by 917962
I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts and await more. I'm sure that both your vision, and skills are admired by many of us.

I'll second that!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:40 PM
tp81
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed
Old 10-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 200 Posts

uummm, duck tail AND room for an oem split grill. Me like! Personally, I'm digging the motorized part too, but it's probably not needed from a cooling perspective I imagine.

subscribed

I'm gonna need a duck club sticker Darin..
Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Great project!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 PM
firesm
Pro

I've been flexing my credit card for Porsche stuff a lot lately too. At least you can justify it as an expense for your business. Maybe if I start referring to my wife as the cfo or president I can convince her my purchases are business related...
Old 10-22-2010, 03:07 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Brilliant work on the tail! Would have loved to be able to use the 993 grill when I did mine. Hope your back gets better. Nothing more frustrating than sitting doing nothing while you've got tons of stuff waiting to be done, I feel for you. Chiropractor maybe?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 PM
future
Banned

Many thanks to both yourself Sir for your compliments and every RL member for that matter ... it really does help with the motivation as as the weather in the UK at the moment is simply depressing, it’s hard to conger up the energy to go out into a cold and damp garage <-- Reminds me I’ll have to clean and paint my garage soon

If your username 917962 is a representation of your car collection then PLEASE post pics for all of us

uummm, duck tail AND room for an oem split grill. Me like! Personally, I'm digging the motorized part too, but it's probably not needed from a cooling perspective I imagine.

subscribed

I'm gonna need a duck club sticker Darin..
After doing the measurements, unfortunately is not going to be feasible to integrate the motorized grill which I was looking forwards to develop as there is always a market for quirkiness. To do this I’d have to lower the ducktail further down the engine lid which simply would not look right

Anybody whom is serious about this ducktail for a "split grill" install on their widebody 993 then the first response gets one for half price as this will save us having to go out and buy the grill simply for pictures which would be a false economy <-- Free shipping also included

I've been flexing my credit card for Porsche stuff a lot lately too. At least you can justify it as an expense for your business.

Yes this does lighten the blow slightly as does not having to involve the wife but it’s always a push to the kidneys when the monthly statements comes through

Brilliant work on the tail! Would have loved to be able to use the 993 grill when I did mine. Hope your back gets better. Nothing more frustrating than sitting doing nothing while you've got tons of stuff waiting to be done, I feel for you. Chiropractor maybe?
Many thanks Roger I’m pleased to say my back is much better now and today I had a new set of front tyres fitted which whilst lugging them about did confirm my backs not 100% but I feel good to get back out in the garage again tomorrow to soldier on with the project and I have to admit that I always find it a pleasure to work on a 993 which is something I enjoy very much even when not 100%

I hope to have some nice updates to post this Sunday with loads more pics

Best regards to all and have a great weekend,
Mark

Quick Reply: Project Battle Ship - AKA L63A Sport Classic 993