Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever find another bumper touching your?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Race4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever find another bumper touching your?

last night, found a perfect parking spot where no on could park behind me, and in front of me a car was parked with at least 4 feet between us, and in front of him at least another 5 feet.

It was night time, so I even put on my right blinker stalk to activate my parking lights as a indicator to others just in case as an added precaution.

Well after an hour of eating I return to the car and find another car actually up against my front bumper- actually on it-

it caused a nasty looking tear in my clear bra and a black scuff mark....

WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS HAVE DONE NEXT? Just wondering.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:36 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Good question. I've pondered that myself as well. I guess I would leave a note on the vehicle that states that you have their license plate number and would like to know how they will pay for the repair of your front bumper, which they've hit. Leave your phone number. Take a picture of the hit. I don't think you have any recourse, but maybe, if they are good folks, they will call and ask about restitution. If not, prepare for the nasty call(s).
Old 08-29-2010, 12:45 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I would wait a bit and if no show.... take a picture of their car on my car. Leave them a note with my information informing them of the damage. If they don't call.... I would track them down like the dogs they are.

As for Ble2011 ... "I don't think you have any recourse". I don't understand that? You have the right to get the repairs paid for.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:00 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I only meant that it's really hard to have something like this corrected. Even though it's a big deal to you (It would be to me as well), they may say that "it's no big deal". In WI, it only lately became mandatory to have vehicle insurance. If they don't have insurance, no job and do not want to pay out of pocket, it's off to court. Even then, they really don't have to pay. Unless you want to call the cops and have your own insurance pay, it may not be worth the trouble. There are lowlifes out there that could care less about your vehicle/property and will do anything possible to avoid doing the right thing. Ask me how I know...
Old 08-29-2010, 01:03 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Leave a note & your phone # explaining the damage and that, if you don't hear from them within 24 hrs., you will turn it in to your ins. co. who will track them down. Take a picture. Then give 'em the 24 hrs. Different municipalities have different laws. Where I live, anything under $1k damage is not required to be reported. In this day and age, it doesn't take too much to be $1K. If you think the damage is reportable, call the cops and have 'em write it up.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:05 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

To my eye this is a problem when you have a nice car. Before my wife bought her 993 I had a long talk with her that this isn't a purchase where she'll shrug off a stone chip or a parking lot ding. She considered not buying the car partly due to concerns about how she'll feel in a situation like the OP describes. She ended up buying it anyway, but, at least so far, won't expose the car to any possible parking lot damage.

As to the OP, the problem you'd face if you go after the owner for damages is proving he hit you rather than you hit him. It'd be a he said she said affair.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I would have called the police and asked them to issue an accident report. In my experience, if another driver hits your car, their insurance company will take care of the damage, assuming that there is no dispute over what happened.

I had a young girl hit my Miata from behind two years ago and banged up my rear bumper. When I got out, she mumbled, "You must have rolled back or something." (I was on a flat road surface.) I shook my head and said, "Uh, uh. No way. I know what you're trying to do and it won't work." When I called her insurance company and told her what she said, they said that they had to get her side of the story since there was some question as to what happened. I told them that I would take as many lie detector tests as they wanted and asserted that I would pass each one with flying colors. As it turns out, the girl confessed to the accident, and her insurance company paid for the damage.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:13 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. call the police and report it.
2. take pictures of the car on your car, and then the damage.
I know about these things, I watch Peoples Court!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:20 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
As to the OP, the problem you'd face if you go after the owner for damages is proving he hit you rather than you hit him. It'd be a he said she said affair.
This is the problem. If the offending driver wants to be an A-hole they'll play this card. Unfortunately, many assume that because you drive a Porsche you're "rich."

Hopefully you took some pictures and as much information as possible.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I never understood why firearms are legal in the States when you can never use 'em!

Seriously though, photos and a note. You ARE entitled to have any damage fixed.

Or, if you feel like an eye for an eye, a metal crowbar to leave a nice nick/dent/scratch on their car. Not too big, so that they can just claim it on their insurance, but big enough and in a conspicuous place, that it drives them crazy. This only works on a really nice car, though, and usually nicer car drivers tend to care for their cars enough not to park like a jackass.

Sorry for your bad luck.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:44 PM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

I never ever drive mine when I have to park and leave it.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:15 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The person who did this knew EXACTLY what their intentions were. Period.
I'll bet there were two in the other car - one made a comment -- (probably derrogatory) -- and the other 'egged' him on - "to see how close he can get". Of course he hit your car. That, my friend, is a given.

Unfortunately, as said, it could be construed that you bumped him.
Frankly, this is why I always carry a camera in the car with me.

If I were you I would play offense, take pix, go to or call a cop, leave a note (saying what has happened and the steps you are taking, etc.).

Your car got damaged, period, THAT needs to be remedied, whether it was done by 'accident' or by someone just playing 'silly buggers'.

My funny bone sez 'silly buggers' and thus, a lesson needs to be taught.

G.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Leucadia
Racer

Yesterday on the ferry ride a truck tapped my bumper with his trailer hitch. Very slight dent... Sort of a bummer but I'm not going to make a fuss out of something as silly as that . These sort of thing are in the category of rock chips to me. Not a big deal. It's what eventually happens when you drive.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Always call the police....always.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in Paris France in 1981 and was amazed at their on street parking .I watched a guy in a 911 nose into a spot too small for him and then push 2 or 3 cars foreward,then he backed in and pushed 2 cars back. I couldn,t believe it. Could the bump you are talking about be an accident? Take a pic and leave a note but without any damage it,s alot like a rock chip as someone said.

Quick Reply: Ever find another bumper touching your?