Sponsored by: DashLynx

Even Better Window Switch Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
Were these trolls here linking to old posts before IB bought Rennlist? I dont seem to remember them and they are starting to become annoying, especially when linking to bull****.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:13 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The content got deleted. Must have been a mod. I have been seeing an increasing number of posts by new users that are just copies of other posters previous messages. Sometimes they have hyperlinks to random thungs, I've never clicked them before.

I haven't seen anybody bring them up on the boards yet. Maybe it's only happening to me and I'm going crazy.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:39 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
The content got deleted. Must have been a mod. I have been seeing an increasing number of posts by new users that are just copies of other posters previous messages. Sometimes they have hyperlinks to random thungs, I've never clicked them before.

I haven't seen anybody bring them up on the boards yet. Maybe it's only happening to me and I'm going crazy.
Yes, its spam posts. Easy to spot when you click on user name and select "show other posts by this user". Usually that will show about 5 posts and most with a spam link.

Then just hit the "Report Post" button (red triangle with exclamation point) in the bottom left of the original post, type "spam" in the box and hit submit. Mods will delete the spam posts. Replying to the spammer posts won't do anything and just bumps the thread again to the top of the list (ugh, I'm kinda of doing that right now...) and once the spam is deleted by mods, comments on the spam make for strange context within the thread.

So you aren't the only one seeing these, but Mods delete them pretty quickly. Yes spam is on the rise, but not due to "IB ownership" as someone suggests....its just on the rise everywhere as the spammers/thugs/thieves/scum get more savvy....
Old 06-06-2015, 08:30 PM
cambur7855
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your post. I followed your procedure exactly as you explained and now I have both switches (that control the passenger window) fixed. I was surprised how easy was the whole thing!! thanks again.
Rafael
1991 911 Carrera 2-Targa
Old 06-14-2015, 04:27 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
I just repaired three of my old OEM window switches this evening, doing more or less what was described in this most excellent thread by garrett376 back in 2005. But where he used a paper clip, I used a 4d finishing nail, which worked very well and I think is a better thing to use.
Recently I realized that one could buy the cheap $12 aftermarket switch and pop open the bezel and use the fresh rocker from it to replace the broken one in the original OE switch. While in there one could eve turn around the contacts in the original switch resulting in the unused contacts now being the active contact points internally. This would amount to a complete refresh of the original switch with an expected 10+ year service life.

Go figure?
Andy
Old 06-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Recently I realized that one could buy the cheap $12 aftermarket switch and pop open the bezel and use the fresh rocker from it to replace the broken one in the original OE switch. While in there one could eve turn around the contacts in the original switch resulting in the unused contacts now being the active contact points internally. This would amount to a complete refresh of the original switch with an expected 10+ year service life.

Go figure?
Andy
Great to know and thx for sharing! My driver's side window switch has been acting up so this gets the brain juices flowing.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:43 AM
uberlawyer
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wondering: would the life of the switches be extended if the automatic up/down system (window express) were installed?
Old 06-17-2015, 06:25 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uberlawyer
Just wondering: would the life of the switches be extended if the automatic up/down system (window express) were installed?
The rocker is plastic and so it gasses out and becomes brittle over time. This would seem to be independent of how often or how long one cycles the switch.

I do like your thinking, though as I added a $20 timed relay to my car that locks the doors a few moments after the car is started. This eliminates manually cycling the door lock switch in the center console when you get in the car. My wife loves this feature.

Andy
Old 06-19-2015, 05:35 AM
uberlawyer
Instructor

Can you please share some more details on the relay (part no, location installation, etc).

Does it also unlock the doors on ignition off? Although this may not be essential, as opening the driver's door using the latch also unlocks the passenger's door as well. Haven't tried to see though what happens if you open the passenger's door when locked.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:31 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uberlawyer
Can you please share some more details on the relay (part no, location installation, etc).

Does it also unlock the doors on ignition off? Although this may not be essential, as opening the driver's door using the latch also unlocks the passenger's door as well. Haven't tried to see though what happens if you open the passenger's door when locked.
Automatic door locking -- Since the 993 already has electric door locks and a readily accessible door locking switch on the center console this is an easy DIY upgrade. Several people on the internet sell 12 volt adjustable time delay relay switch kits in the <$20 range. I do not recall the one I purchased but the key is to have a latching relay with variable time delay and the ability to pulse a switch and begin timing when power applied. An automotive aftermarket accessory store can help you find the correct module as well. I purchased one of these solder-it-yourself kits and at the kitchen table put it together in about half an hour. It requires only 4 wires two to the console door lock rocker switch, one to the ignition switch and one to ground. The timer is adjustable. I set mine so once the ignition is powered 10 seconds later the door lock switch is pulsed. I packaged the board in a drugstore travel soap box and tied it up under the dash. Has now been working for years and we don’t even think about locking the doors anymore. The down side is you will have to disable it when programming key fobs
Old 06-19-2015, 11:24 AM
uberlawyer
Instructor

Thanks! Definitely not a job for me, then - I'll talk to an electrician.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 PM
estroodle
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drilled something and finished in less than 5 min.....

and my wife is happy it was so quick!!

great DIY. Took no time at all, and for the cost of a box of finishing nails I can now fix about a thousand more switches!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:25 AM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Much thanks to garrett376 and Bruce59 for this well done , concise and well photographed DIY fix. Even I could not get it wrong. BTW bruce, I'm digging that les paul.

Quick Reply: Even Better Window Switch Repair