Is this Speedster for real?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:48 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP

I overheard a guy's wife say this to him as they were looking at the interior of my 912 at the Rendevous car show "Looks just like my old Karmann Ghia!" ....
I hear ya: ^^ where is the love?
Originally Posted by curve lover

Bruce-- Got any more pix? There was a Bugatti Veyron parked next to it when I left. Glad to see that grocery-getter didn't leave any of its paint on this 993!

EShaun-- You out there? Get any shots with the 'Bug?'
Just got an e-mail from photography ace eShaun with a hole lotta love: his fine Friday photos of Legends of the Autobahn & Concorso Italiano.

Here's the 'Bug'atti mentioned above...

Old 08-21-2010, 01:49 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
I'll ad this:
I overheard a guy's wife say this to him as they were looking at the interior of my 912 at the Rendevous car show "Looks just like my old Karmann Ghia!" ....

beautiful 912
Old 08-21-2010, 01:52 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I'm pretty much hanging out with the hardcore racer E36 M3 (and also non M3 because of the rules) crowd. As with a lot of the GT3 Porsche crowd, many don't have much of an interest before the E30 M3. The guy who puts on the BMW corral has one, and the woman who's the registrar guru has one of the most developed yet still street legal E46 M3s. Love 'em all, but they don't fawn over old, air cooled 911s.

Earlier this week I mentioned my wanting to unload the RS America. Absolute shock that an early '90s 911 with 140K would be considered bottom-of-the-market at a little over $20K.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
beautiful 912
Thank you, sir. After 18 months at the beauty parlor, 'Mut' is finally home!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

JP, your 912 makes me realize how far I have to go in my preservation/restoration... and sorry for the hijack!
Attached Images   
Old 08-22-2010, 12:59 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
... and sorry for the hijack!
I think I'm the guilty one here ^^^ but one more comment before we go back to our original programming, and I'll take the heat.
IMHO, preserved cars are the superior beast, and you have an EXCELLENT example of an early 3 gauge car with great colors that someone has obviously taken loving care of over the years. At the risk of preaching to the choir, the trick here is to carefully 'freshen' things that are beyond redemption back to factory materials and spec without destroying the beautiful originality and patina of the rest of the car and interior. That was my original plan with my car, but my restorer had his own ulterior motives and made some poor, irreversible decisions on my behalf that I'm still mourning ...
If I may make just one suggestion, I'd get the car lowered to European 911 spec (measured from ground to peak of fender arch, front 25", rear 24 1/2"). That and a set of Vredestein 165/HR15 Sprint Classics and this car will make you smile so hard, your face will hurt for a week .. and give any 911 an embarrassing 'reality check' in rear weight overhang dynamics ....
http://www.universaltire.com/vredest...blackwall.html
Old 05-11-2011, 11:00 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by grant911

Those Fuchs look fantastic..
Thanks, Grant!
Originally Posted by curve lover

Bimmer enthusiasts. This was the newly-formed & highly enthusiastic BMW Club of Columbia. It was definitely a big BMW luv-fest, & understandably so.

When we walked out to parking lot, though, it became a different scene ... a Porsche love explosion.

Their zeal for life & all German rarities was abundantly clear the whole evening.
Happily surprised to get this from a BMW Club of Columbia member yesterday, sent from Germany.

Four German rarities, closing down Monterey Car Week at Tarpy's Roadhouse:

Quick Reply: Is this Speedster for real?