Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with buying 993 and are they collectable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:33 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Need the pic or link to it. Don't be concerned with a good quality aftermarket exhaust system. Most here think that's a plus. If it turns out later that you don't like it, you can always sell it. There are always plenty of stock exhausts to buy or trade. Be sure to get a PPI.
Sorry about that-
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2010, 03:42 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

According to the seller car had a PPI already and they found out that the car had a small fender bender in 97 and the front left panel was re sprayed.

If thats true, it doesn't really bother me. It is only a two owner car, and the current owner bought it in 08, so that means the original owner kept the car after the body work which means it was probably not too bad.

Another question, the seller says he purchased it from a Porsche dealer in 08, could this car have been Certified by Porsche in 08? Or was it too old? Or did they find a reason not to certify it?

John

Oh an heres the car:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Old 09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

They do look large...Try to find out what brand exhaust. '95! Good year! OBD1. Does it have the dreaded IMMOBILIZER? I hope not. Regular alarm activated by simply turning the key in the lock is o.k. but the IMMOBILIZER in the '95 can be especially problematic. IMHO, totally overkill, especially in a cab anyway. Get a good PPI with compression and leakdown test on a warm engine.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:48 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack
According to the seller car had a PPI already and they found out that the car had a small fender bender in 97 and the front left panel was re sprayed.

If thats true, it doesn't really bother me. It is only a two owner car, and the current owner bought it in 08, so that means the original owner kept the car after the body work which means it was probably not too bad.

Another question, the seller says he purchased it from a Porsche dealer in 08, could this car have been Certified by Porsche in 08? Or was it too old? Or did they find a reason not to certify it?

John

Oh an heres the car:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
That cab looks nice but before you jump on that one, check out the classifieds here on Rennlist there are some great cars coming up for sale at great prices, some make me wish I waited until now. I could have gotten a better car for cheaper. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:53 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

'97! Excuse me! I'd still have it looked at closely by a highly regarded paint and body shop. The current owner may not be a "car guy" and not astute enough to care. When/if the repairs start to deteriorate, you'll care! And just because the current owner has only had it 2 yrs., something could still be going South. They could be riding the clutch, seals or valve covers could be leaking, etc. Incidentally, the ad says last yr. for air-cooled...not so. '98 is the last yr. of the "real" Porsches.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:54 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

They do look large...Try to find out what brand exhaust. '95! Good year! OBD1. Does it have the dreaded IMMOBILIZER? I hope not. Regular alarm activated by simply turning the key in the lock is o.k. but the IMMOBILIZER in the '95 can be especially problematic. IMHO, totally overkill, especially in a cab anyway. Get a good PPI with compression and leakdown test on a warm engine.
I really don't know if it has the immobilizer. Frankly I thought it did. I thought that it was never on the 95's, but was on all the other models. What's the deal with that?

I also heard something about CEL lights, but I know nothing about them.

And for the PPI, If the car has all consecutive service records from beginning to end and it only has 39,000, is it really necessary?

John
Old 09-06-2010, 03:56 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

'97! Excuse me! I'd still have it looked at closely by a highly regarded paint and body shop. The current owner may not be a "car guy" and not astute enough to care. When/if the repairs start to deteriorate, you'll care! And just because the current owner has only had it 2 yrs., something could still be going South. They could be riding the clutch, seals or valve covers could be leaking, etc. Incidentally, the ad says last yr. for air-cooled...not so. '98 is the last yr. of the "real" Porsches.
Ya I know. You're right.

It's just that the car is in Kentucky and I live in NY, so I would have to fly out there to get it hence I won't have any connections or time to get a PPI.

And yes, I did notice that, "97 is the last year," he is not car guy.

John
Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
That cab looks nice but before you jump on that one, check out the classifieds here on Rennlist there are some great cars coming up for sale at great prices, some make me wish I waited until now. I could have gotten a better car for cheaper. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks,

I just checked the classifieds, and yes there are a lot, but not exactly what I want.

I'm looking specifically for a Arctic Silver over black cabriolet 6-speed. If you know of one please let me know.

John
Old 09-06-2010, 04:09 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilko
Drive a 993 and then decide whether you want to buy one. If you want a collectible 911 from the 90s that can kick the 997's *** get a 964 3.6 turbo. Single turbo RWD - scary fun!
There is a lot of truth to this. My favorite pcar of all time was my 91 3.3 turbo. With a Tial wastegate and better exhaust there was pretty much zero lag and boy was it fast and fun. I miss it, wish I'd kept it. I would love to have a 94 3.6 version.

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
I don't believe for one minute that a cab will be worth less than a coupe way down the road. That is BOGUS!!! Any collector is well aware that "when the top goes down, the price goes up". If you want a cab, get one.
I think historically this hold true. Look at XKEs or 356 cabs, same deal, the cabs are worth more. Although we think of the 993s as mass produced, they really aren't. I know there's a list of numbers floating around here somewhere and there were something like 1290 97 coupes brought in to the US, and a similar number of cabs. That's nothing!

Originally Posted by blackonblack
I see this picture and it seems like the exhaust tips are extra big and therefore aftermarket.

As it would prefer that everything is original on the car, I ask if anyone with knowledge of 993s can tell me if these look original or not.

Thanks,

John
Can't see your picture, link? However, Porsche offered big oval tips as an option.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:28 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

I'd start a new thread and ask for any RENNLIST members in the seller's KY area to recommend an independent shop (not the seller's dealer) for a PPI and bodywork inspection. Keep in mind it's your $ and a little extra time to get things discovered on the front end can save you considerable aggrevation later. As you, yourself said, the seller is not a car guy. As for the IMMOBILIZER, all '96-'98 had the newer version which, altho sometimes problematic, is not as bad as the '95 version. When it goes bad, it means real $$$$.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wasn't there a RLister selling his 993 cab with very low 19K milage?
Though it was a Black/Black... I think that was a very nice sample.
As for investment purpose, I wouldn't choose cabrio, instead look for RS,TTS,TT,C4S,C2S... Heck why not even GT2!!!! IMO.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:56 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

I'd start a new thread and ask for any RENNLIST members in the seller's KY area to recommend an independent shop (not the seller's dealer) for a PPI and bodywork inspection. Keep in mind it's your $ and a little extra time to get things discovered on the front end can save you considerable aggrevation later. As you, yourself said, the seller is not a car guy. As for the IMMOBILIZER, all '96-'98 had the newer version which, altho sometimes problematic, is not as bad as the '95 version. When it goes bad, it means real $$$$.
Actually his car is at the Porsche dealer trying to be sold.

I guess I shouldn't trust even the Porsche dealer cause they are trying to sell it for him?

That is good to know about the immobilizer.

Also, someone above mentioned Porsche offered large oval tips as an option, he is faxing me the window sticker tomorrow so I will see.

By the way, thanks, you have been very helpful.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:10 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Originally Posted by f8vr993
wasn't there a RLister selling his 993 cab with very low 19K milage?
Though it was a Black/Black... I think that was a very nice sample.
As for investment purpose, I wouldn't choose cabrio, instead look for RS,TTS,TT,C4S,C2S... Heck why not even GT2!!!! IMO.
I've got a 997S Coupe now which I either plan on keeping or replacing with a GT3 or TT, and it will always be a coupe.

I understand the idea that cabs won't be worth as much, but for me, I really want the cab.

John
Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some notes about Porsche values from an "old-timer"... In 1990 I purchased a 356 Cab ( they made 1500 plus of this model that year), paid $ 30,000. I have had many Porsches and wanted an older cab, it was a fun little car and saw the values stagnant for some time, then maybe 5 years later values started to increase and increase, until in 2008 I sold the 356 Cab and original tools for $ 84,000... so in terms of some of the 993 models, they made roughly the same number of C2S and C4S models, and with it's design which is also "timeless" like the 356, you will see some of the 993 models in about 20 years reach very high prices!

It will be too late for me, but I will look down from that grand place in the sky and watch you guys marvel at the values in 2030...

Air-cooled Regards,

Bert
Old 09-06-2010, 07:16 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

John-If worse comes to worse, you could get the Porsche dealer to do the comp & leak-down test and check for any stored codes. I had one dealer give me a statement that if it didn't pass my state's emission inspection, they would re-imburse me to have it repaired so it would pass. You could have that as a condition of sale with the current owner. As for the paint and body work, you could go to a high-end local body shop and have them give you lessons on what to look for....and/or do research for a high end body shop near where the car is and pay to have someone go over and inspect it.

Quick Reply: Help with buying 993 and are they collectable?