Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For anyone who has fitted RS engine mounts....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 + years with the RS mounts and no issues. No track, slightly modded.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think anyone who has installed the RS or Wevo mounts and not considering strengthen the carrier probably has not seen comparison pics of the stock carrier vs. the Turbo carrier vs. a reinforced carrier - the stock carrier is just a stamped piece of sheetmetal. Not likely that the engine carrier will fail just by installing the less flexible mounts, but if it does fail the result may not be pretty. Also having to explain to the insurance company won't be fun.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

If they didn't cause problems on our mountain blasts last week I doubt they ever will.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I had the RS engine mounts on my supercharged RS America that saw plenty of track use. Stock carrier and no issues whatsoever.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

Feeling a lot more comfortable not upgrading my engine carrier with this feedback.

Seems like the consensus is to upgrade the carrier if I am going to track the car regularly or upgrade the power.

Thanks again guys, that's a pint of bitter on me when I see you.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey guys and girls, I thought I would jump in and give you what information we have, since we deal with these on a regular basis. If your car is primarily used for street use and you drive your car like law enforcement requires, then the chances of breaking your factory mount are minimal. With that said, we have seen it happen. If you track your car and have solid engine and trans mounts you're crazy not to reinforce your carrier. We get these things in ALL the time that are broken or cracked. We really should start taking pictures of the ones we get in to show what can happen. It isn't pretty when they let loose.

My biggest concern is the couple comments regarding the coil holes. We will definitely take a look at this and make the necessary changes. If any of you have an issue with any of our products it is SUPER important that you let us know. We make this stuff in house, so it is very easy for us to make changes, but if we are not made aware of the issues then it is very difficult for us to improve on our products. Besides that, thanks for all the support and happy motoring.

Last edited by Rennline; 08-18-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

With the case of P1CR's car -- stiffening-up the engine carrier along with the Wevo mounts triggered wicked resonance. Resonance like I've never experienced in a car before!!

In my drag racing days we used solid motormounts and sometimes solid trans mounts and the resonance in those cars were pretty bad but nothing near like what we experienced in P1CR's car.

Things in P1CR's interior went blurry at certain RPM ranges it vibrated so badly. RS mounts softened it up just enough to overcome the street-legal-cup-car-like ride quality
Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

Stiffening the carrier should have zero effect on vibration in the car. The factory one wasn't designed to dampen vibration. My personal track car is a 97 993 with solid everything with a full cage and I get hardly any vibration inside the car, but all cars are different. If a car has been bent or has something a bit loose it can create a completely different situation. There are a ton of variables that can result in vibration but stiffening the carrier should not be one of them.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:33 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For street driving, what is to be gained with the RS mounts?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:44 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennline
Stiffening the carrier should have zero effect on vibration in the car. The factory one wasn't designed to dampen vibration. My personal track car is a 97 993 with solid everything with a full cage and I get hardly any vibration inside the car, but all cars are different. If a car has been bent or has something a bit loose it can create a completely different situation. There are a ton of variables that can result in vibration but stiffening the carrier should not be one of them.
Remember everything has a spring rate. Its more about harmonics / resonance perhaps first order resonance that can be directly affected by changing the spring rates of key components.

I'm not saying your stiffener kit was the cause in this particular case but certainly can play a role in resonance changes. Many times it's the case that mounting a vibrating component (the engine in this example) solidly will eliminate unwanted resonances contrary to first thoughts of isolating the source from the rest of the car.

Just reporting my findings in P1CR's car. Obviously an isolated case.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 AM
'95 993
Instructor

3 years with RS engine mounts and RS gearbox mounts and moddified 350hp 9m engine and loads and loads of track days prob 30+ no vibration or engine carrier issues and tognola looks after my car and has never mentioned any issues? so for me a non issue (fingers crossed, goes outside to look at totally destroyed engine carrier ;-) )
Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
For street driving, what is to be gained with the RS mounts?
Pretty good overview of the gains you can see from fitting RS mounts:

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9..._rsmounts.html

"TEST DRIVE IMPRESSIONS

The RS engine mounts made a collosal difference to the feel and handling of my car. In part, this was because I was actually comparing them to perished standard mounts so it was a double jump if you like.

For me this upgrade was up there with renewing all the suspension to KW. Subjectively along with the KW it made the biggest difference to overall driving experience.

Let me articulate what has changed

1. The gearchange has become noticeably stiffer. I think I actually prefer it a bit looser as it was but this is only slight and I am sure I will acclimatise to it in good time.

2. The gearshift no longer crunches when going into 2nd gear when the car is cold. Good news.

3. There is a small but perceiveable increase in NVH (noise,vibration, harshenss). You are aware of feeling 'closer' or more connected to the engine. The car feels just a touch more raw. Also the noise of the engine has changed a little. I am not sure how and hope to expand upon this when I have racked up some more miles.

4. The feeling of the car has changed massively. The car now feels so much more planted. Even in a straight line at sklow speed it feels lot more tied down and secure. Compared to how it was, it feels bolted to the road like a rollercoaster on tracks. It feels as though someone has doubled the width of all the tyres on the car and increased the level of grip and the footprint by a very large amount. The effect is VERY startling.

5. The stability of the car over bumps and the body control has changed hugely. The car feels more settled and planted over bumps. Now it just thunders over then seemingly unperturbed whereas before the whole car always felt very edgy and precarious and would jostle laterally a lot more over undualtaions and rough roads. Now it feels like a hovercraft being sucked into the tarmac. The suspension (on the same bump and rebound settings) now actually feels stiffer than it was. The car feels less sloppy and harder. It would seem that the movement of the engine before was in turn, moving the car aroudn and giving a false sense of looseness or compliance.

6. The handling has changed markedly. When you turn in the car feels far more reassuring and balanced and eager to turn. Everything is a lot more predictable and when you are in a bend the car stays on the line much better and just seems far more stable and secure. Long constant radius sweepers are a particular source of pleasure especially if they are rough and bumpy; the 993 now just sits in them with a whole new level of plantedness and oozes confidence. I was able to instantly drive roads I know well another 5,10,15mph quicker with so much more trust in the car. It was like I had been let into a alchemists secret, an epiphanic moment where I became Luke Skywalker down the spine of the death Star (ok, so not quite but you get the point).

7. Probably for the first time, the car felt a little underpowered. The level of composure and solidity is now at a point where I found myself yearning for a bit more acceleration. I hope this isn't a prominent and persistent effect. Let's hope it was just a function of the mood I was in during this short test drive.

So there you have it. Check your mounts and get them done. It's pretty clear to me now that some of the handling issues that I have experienced with the car since I purchased it were in part due to my old saggy mounts. The effect of a loose engine is so intrusive and powerful that it's my belief that shot engine mounts will completely taint and colour the subjective driving experience. My car often felt very wayward, unpredictable and very corkscrew-like. I sort of got used to this and started to enjoy weilding and managing those feelings and motions, and whilst some of it has over the months been due to other areas of the car like bad geo, too much spring preload, bumpsteer etc.. what is certain is that the old engine mounts played a big big part in all this.

In just 3 months since I have had the RS uprights fitted, new geometry and now the RS engine mounts, the drive of the car has changed immeasurably. Exciting times ... Stay tuned for more upgrades."

I collect my car today so I'll be able to give you my feedback on the switch to RS mounts pretty soon.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had the RS engine mounts over 7 years now with plenty of hard laps in Sebring (can you say bumpy?!) and other tracks with stock carrier and no issues.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Finn, Are you going Sept. 18-19? Hope to see you there.
My impressions of the wevo mounts are very similar to the review posted above. I was driving with perished stock mounts, and the switch to the wevos was amazing...
Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Rick,

Unfortunately not, both boys playing travel hockey so the free time is very limited during the season...

My stock mounts were pretty busted as well when I switched...

Quick Reply: For anyone who has fitted RS engine mounts....