Sponsored by:

I-Pod connection to a CR-210

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:10 PM
SMehder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I-Pod connection to a CR-210

Just spent the last hour doing a search on this. Either I did not find anything or any reference was way to old to be relative to new technology, so I thought I would resurect the question. Any one have a simple solution? Before you suggest, I have already tried a cassette adaptor and the cassette portion of the radio does not work. I know I can get the FM transmitter, but that solution has limited success. Is there a cable connector that can be adapted to the radio?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to upgrade to a newer CDR-220 and purchase a iPod cable. There are many posts include a DIY CDR-220 install becuase you have to remove the CDR-210 cage for the 220 to fit. Great upgrade while keep factory look.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

You can only do it if you have a CD changer - connect the RCA inputs that go to the CD changer into the iPod but keep a CD in the changer to fool the system. Otherwise, as Mark suggested, get a CR or CDR-220. I bought a CR-220 for $35 a few months ago and my iPod works flawlessly with Becker's AUX input ($20). A CDR-220 is about $200 on Ebay.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
A CDR-220 is about $200 on Ebay.
I will have a CDR-220 plus the iPod cable for sale in about one week. Looking for $250 plus shipping.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark. Does the cable allow for control from the HU ie can you make selections from the unit, or is everything still done through the ipod?
TIA
Old 08-14-2010, 01:27 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

With the Ipod cable, music selection is still done through the Ipod. Volume control is done through the HU. There are many different Ipod cables out there at varying prices. You will find that some do not charge the ipod while connected. I bought one from Ebay for $20 that ended up frying my 5th gen ipod video, just a word of caution. Becker, SW Stereo, Discountstereo.com all offeran ipod cable that works.

Has anyone chosen one that works with all the different generations of ipods/iphones that also allow charging?

-nelson
Old 08-14-2010, 01:35 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
You can only do it if you have a CD changer - connect the RCA inputs that go to the CD changer into the iPod but keep a CD in the changer to fool the system. Otherwise, as Mark suggested, get a CR or CDR-220. I bought a CR-220 for $35 a few months ago and my iPod works flawlessly with Becker's AUX input ($20). A CDR-220 is about $200 on Ebay.
I used this solution and it works great. my cd changer had been installed in the rear seat area so I just run the cable up to the front and plug in when I need my ipod. simple, easy to do and works fine for a cheap fix. I have the older generation IPOD and don't know if the newer ones have the correct cables available but assume they do.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The CR-210 is a cassette radio IIRC. you CAN connect an ipod either through a cassette adaptor, or an FM transmitter. control will be strictly through the iPod, and it will not be charged. If you want to stick with the CR-210, I suggest the cassette route.

If you want to upgrade to the CDR-220, you can input the iPod through the AUX input, I have this set up and I like it, I use a Navone engineering cable to charge the ipod and send the line out to the RCA jacks, into the CDR-220. The Becker tuner is reasonably good, and I rarely listen to CDs. Control is via the iPod.

If you actually have a CDR-210, (the CD version not the Cassette) I think there is a way via the CD changer input, but it seems awkward.

The last option is to go with a completely different Headunit like Alpine, JVC, Clarion etc... that offers full ipod control. Most of the current headunit options seem a bit out of place in the 993 interior IMHO, but I like the Nakamichi, as far as looks, but there seem to be some reliability issues, and I don't know if the company services the car audio units any longer.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Priceless
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cr 210 with cd changer & cassette rack between front seats (is this just a holder??..never used it). I guess I have to run the cables from cd changer in front trunk into cabin??? Or can I plug into stereo??? Is there a RCA plug for the cassette rack between front seats? Thanks...
Old 08-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
Mark. Does the cable allow for control from the HU ie can you make selections from the unit, or is everything still done through the ipod?
TIA
Tia,

What they said. At the iPod. It's about sacrafice. If you want the factory (Becker) look I don't know of a set up that exists that allows controls at the HU.

Quick Reply: I-Pod connection to a CR-210