Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Monterey 2010 photo thread: Pebble, Laguna, Legends, Quail, etc. ...918 Spyder!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 PM
jtilden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome pics...the woman ...obscured by the blurriness...reflects the irony of the actual subject matter as it relates to me...its like saying "i am obsessed with something I can't have, something I have yet to fully understand or comprehend, yet I can not walk away... so i torture myself, as i fight to see through the haze in an effort to gain clarity"...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

As usual your shots are greatness Jason. Parts of cars FTW!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:10 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason, really great shots....

have a new friend?

wish I could have made it down there
sometimes work interferes with fun

Jager, I cannot believe you and your car have been over here this long (minutes away! at Jochen's shop) and no call, no letter... nothing!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

^^ Mark-- As you read this, Moffat's driving down from Canada just to see Speedy. What have you done?
Nothing! I deliver Speedy to your doorstep & post her Monterey schedule, & you can't even say hi?

Speedy misses the big Dipietro. Likes little Justin, too, who flattered her with photography.

Hurt her feelings when you stopped sending flowers.
...Arrogant Bastard Ale to her bastard owner would go far
Originally Posted by MarkD

Jager, I cannot believe you and your car have been over here this long (minutes away! at Jochen's shop) and no call, no letter... nothing!
Everyone-- What are the below wheel discs that look like clear plastic dust shields on all the press photos?
I can attest the 918 definitely doesn't have 'em in real life.

Ted-- Digging your Pebble Beach 918 shots

Jason-- Did you have the private 918 Spyder prototype viewing Sat we discussed?
Glad to see Daisy making more of an appearance here than at Tarpy's
Great to see both of ya there. Thanks for Speedy's compliments.

Please keep us updated on your Iozzio 'Fuchs' pursuit.
As always, great hubcap shots!!!

Last edited by curve lover; 08-28-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: ;)s & :rolleyes:
Old 08-17-2010, 12:51 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
^^ Mark-- As you read this, Moffat's driving down from Canada just to see Speedy. What have you done?
Nothing! I deliver Speedy to your doorstep & post her Monterey schedule, & you can't even say hi?

Speedy misses the big Dipietro. Likes little Justin, too, who flattered her with photography.

Hurt her feelings when you stopped sending flowers.
...Arrogant Bastard Ale to her bastard owner would go far
ouch!

Well sir, if you are still in town getting together for a Bastard or due would be a priority...
sorry we snubbed Speedy

Work has been horrendous lately... not the fun, Porsche-related, work... it seems I am far behind on the fun.

Hope your trip was awesome. Would have enjoyed seeing youz guyz.

PS - Moffat is a stud

PSS - Just saw the avatar... omg...
Old 08-17-2010, 01:19 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark-- Writing from CO now, not CA Agreed: Too bad we missed each other last week.

Truth is, Speedy's been wanting to keep in touch, but I'm swamped with night school. [Doing about as well with that as giving you advance notice about CA trips -- not good ] Everything I do with Speedy is tentative/ last minute; we were lucky to make it to CA both times this summer. I noted your similar post when she was invited out to the Dana Point Concours & then SFO. Have meant to write something acknowleging/ apologizing.
You & Justin were highlights of last year's Laguna Seca experience; look forward to meeting up -- I'll buy
Originally Posted by MarkD

Jager... didn't know you were out here? Visiting?
And the wheels are spectacular

Great shots
Originally Posted by eshaun
Originally Posted by 993inNC

that red one Was at the OC car show @ Dana Point this last w/e

Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

New Monterey 918 vid

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: YT
Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

^ nice pics guys...
Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,808 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Jager: Great threat!

Jason: Love your shots.

Thanks for sharing guys.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:14 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a few hundred more pics to go through... My mental clarity was interrupted during certain shots...
Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 AM
laser12
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Great post I must say.. Simple but yet entertaining and engaging.. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by Cactus
As usual your shots are greatness Jason. Parts of cars FTW!
Form follows function... I hate whole cars!!! What do you think of that Miura S?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Here are a few more from the big 918 event ...
Alf must be frantically trying to liquidate assets and place an order ...

On Pebble Beach Concourse, from an article by Patricia Leigh Brown in The New York Times:

"The event has its roots in the Paris of the 1920s, when high modern furniture was exhibited as art and automobile design was becoming fashionable, said Christian Overland, the vice president of collections at the Henry Ford auto museum in Dearborn, Mich. The exhibitions evolved into a show called Concours d’Elegance, or “Parade of Elegance.” Today the Pebble Beach extravaganza is the crème de la crème of about 20 such shows in the United States alone.

“It is a combination of art, fashion, culture and technology that inspires hobbyists the way Major League Baseball inspires amateurs,” Mr. Overland said.

DeNean Stafford of Tifton, Ga., a heavy-machinery dealer, was there with his 1910 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Double Pullman Limousine, which still had the original turquoise needlepoint on its doors and was painted a rich burgundy. He does not consider his six Rolls-Royces to be “a large collection,” he said, but he spends about $100,000 a year to maintain each one, employing, like many here, a full-time collection manager, whose duties include driving.

“Cars are like people,” said Stan Carpenter, the collection manager. “They get stiff if they don’t exercise.”

Robert M. Lee of Lake Tahoe, Nev., the founder of Hunting World and a safari pioneer, displayed a 1931 V16 Cadillac with a body by Pininfarina, made, he said, for the maharajah of Orchha with six gun compartments for hunting.

It was not the stuff of Click & Clack.

When not discussing hose clamps or dual-coil ignition systems, much of the car talk here involved comparisons to the art market and what cars were fetching at the five auctions this week.

“People go look at a Picasso,” said Robert Pass, president of the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Ind., summing up the prevailing attitude. “But you can’t drive it.”

Matt de Lorenzo, the editor of Road & Track, said serious collectors “were still paying serious money for serious cars,” like the two rare Ferraris that sold for $4.6 million each at the RM Auction.

Only prices for muscle cars, which skyrocketed four years ago, remained weak. Drew Berlin, a vintage guitar broker from Los Angeles with coiled hair and dark glasses, had just sold a 1970 Pontiac GTO 455 HO convertible for $60,000. It was valued at $180,000 four years ago, Mr. Berlin said, attributing the fall to “dot-com versus old money.”

Gerry Martel, an appraiser from Boston, said the market for Duesenbergs had also dropped. “No one under age 60 wants them,” Mr. Martel observed. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Duesenberg with an iPod.”

Still, cars like an experimental 1955 Ghia Gilda Streamlined X Coupe, which had a jet engine that shook the ground, wowed the crowd. (Named for a Rita Hayworth role, it gave off a lot of heat.)

“You see the rarest of the rare,” Mr. Leno observed after studying the engine of a tubular-looking silver 1938 Tatra Type 77a Limousine. “It’s cheaper than crack or hookers,” he said of his hobby. “When you come home reeking of transmission fluid, your wife knows where you’ve been.” "
Old 08-17-2010, 10:16 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Jason, great eye as usual, but THIS is the best ...
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by JPP
Jason, great eye as usual, but THIS is the best ...
It was on a Lamborghini... I also saw this license plate frame on a good percentage of the late model exotics there. So I had to look it up to see what it meant and here is what I found:http://zo-d.com/stuff/automotive/119...orruption.html
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Monterey 2010 photo thread: Pebble, Laguna, Legends, Quail, etc. ...918 Spyder!